6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help with a part description - front of passenger rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help with a part description - front of passenger rear tire

I need help identifying the little splash guard that is front of the passenger side rear tire. I posted a message in the WTB/For sale section but thought I would get a few more eyes here. The part has this imprinted on it: 76856-ZAS1A. The S could be a 5, it is difficult to tell.

Here are a few pics:

Old 06-23-2007, 06:59 PM

Those are literally called your splash guards.

If you said 'mud flaps', that should also get your point across.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM

I cannot find the replacement part. Called the dealer and they stated it would be part of the rocker molding assembly. yet, looking at the parts site on the web and my service manual it doesn't show this part.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:47 PM

On my sticker, it calls them splash guards I believe. I can double check. (once I find it that is)....
Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 AM

He isn't talking about the splash guards; they are BEHIND the wheels. The little thing he is talking about is in FRONT of the wheels, and is part of the base car, specifically part of the rocker assembly. It will never appear on a sticker.

bikerbeng - Any decent dealer should be able to come up with a part number. It will have to be done carefully, as these are 'positional' items (slightly different for each wheel opening on the car).

I'm surprised these haven't been asked about here before now. They seem rather vulnerable; much more so than the splash guards. Surely someone here has had occasion to replace one. Maybe they will eventually respond.

By the way, what is that smudge at the 11:00 position on your Conti? Either a photo smudge or a curb scrub. Curb scrubs are a 'no-no' on low-profile high performance tires. The sidewall is easlily their most vulnerable area. At least, if it is a curb scrub, it looks to be a small one.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 AM

i had the same problem a few months ago. i ordered new ones from here:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan..._Code=A34-FS04

they even paint them for ya!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I ran into the same situation. The dealer told me it was part of the whole rocker assembly and was not available as a replacement part by itself. I was going to put feelers out to a wrecker to see if I can find a wreck that has one on it.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=lightonthehill]He isn't talking about the splash guards; they are BEHIND the wheels. The little thing he is talking about is in FRONT of the wheels, and is part of the base car, specifically part of the rocker assembly. It will never appear on a sticker.
[QUOTE]

Under your 'options' part of the sticker, on the right was where mine was typed. I'm sure they weren't referring to the plastic part in the wheel well.

You're making me second guess myself.... Now I have to go and find it......

Would they be called 'mudflaps?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
He isn't talking about the splash guards; they are BEHIND the wheels. The little thing he is talking about is in FRONT of the wheels, and is part of the base car, specifically part of the rocker assembly. It will never appear on a sticker.

bikerbeng - Any decent dealer should be able to come up with a part number. It will have to be done carefully, as these are 'positional' items (slightly different for each wheel opening on the car).

I'm surprised these haven't been asked about here before now. They seem rather vulnerable; much more so than the splash guards. Surely someone here has had occasion to replace one. Maybe they will eventually respond.

By the way, what is that smudge at the 11:00 position on your Conti? Either a photo smudge or a curb scrub. Curb scrubs are a 'no-no' on low-profile high performance tires. The sidewall is easlily their most vulnerable area. At least, if it is a curb scrub, it looks to be a small one.
Don't worry about the smudge. I have since changed the Conti's out since they were out-of-round. That was my tire from hell...it picked up 3 nails in a period of 6 months before I finally replaced it with the spare permanently.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
i had the same problem a few months ago. i ordered new ones from here:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan..._Code=A34-FS04

they even paint them for ya!
The picture shows the front mud guard, not the small splash guard that is front of the rear tire.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by JLatimer
I ran into the same situation. The dealer told me it was part of the whole rocker assembly and was not available as a replacement part by itself. I was going to put feelers out to a wrecker to see if I can find a wreck that has one on it.
That is what the dealer told me. I am not going to spend $165 on a whole rocker assembly and then have to paint it just for this small part. I am going to check some junkyards around here too....there has to be a few totaled 04-07 silver maxima's out there.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 PM

In the picture it looks cracked, not broken. Why don't you super glue it until you forget about it ,or find a replacement. In the FSM the piece that is cracked is considered part of what they call the mud guard, which includes the rocker panel cover that runs under the doors and between the wheels. No part number for the individual part in the FSM or the 04-05 Parts Manual.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by bikerbeng
The picture shows the front mud guard, not the small splash guard that is front of the rear tire.
C'mon bikerbeng. Picky, picky, picky. Don't you get it? It's in the front but can be put in the back (drill, jigsaw, & file).

Don't forget to get it color matched!
Old 06-25-2007, 11:17 PM

bikerbing is correct. The thing he is looking at has no connection whatsoever to splash guards. Splash guards are situated at the rear of all four wheel wells, and are an option listed on the window sticker (except when added by the dealer).

The little dothingies he is looking for appear only at the FRONT of each of the two rear wheel wells, are standard on all Maximas as they roll off the assembly line (so never appear on any window sticker), and are part of the expensive rocker assembly.

coolmax05 - bikerbing cannot make one of these from a regular Maxima splash guard; the cross-section shape is not the same. Also, the dothingies have beveled edges that prevents even turning a left side one around and using it on the right.

It would be possible to make one of these from a piece of plastic of the proper thickness, then painting it. But this would take some work.

It seems rather silly of Nissan to not make this very vulnerable piece available without having to buy the rest of the rocker assembly. bikerbing - I wouldn't bother to look for a silver wrecked Maxima; I would take one off any color wrecked 6th gen and sand and paint it.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:40 AM

[QUOTE=

coolmax05 - bikerbing cannot make one of these from a regular Maxima splash guard; the cross-section shape is not the same. Also, the dothingies have beveled edges that prevents even turning a left side one around and using it on the right.

It would be possible to make one of these from a piece of plastic of the proper thickness, then painting it. But this would take some work.

[/QUOTE]

Oh c'mon. If you went out and bought this for only $149 and maybe a High-Temperature oven surely...
Old 06-26-2007, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gen2000
In the picture it looks cracked, not broken. Why don't you super glue it until you forget about it ,or find a replacement. In the FSM the piece that is cracked is considered part of what they call the mud guard, which includes the rocker panel cover that runs under the doors and between the wheels. No part number for the individual part in the FSM or the 04-05 Parts Manual.
I tried to super glue, which worked for a little while and then failed. The plastic doesn't want to bond.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:44 AM

Uhh, why not leave them off?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:56 PM

He can't just leave them off without having the end of the rocker assembly open to water, mud, etc.

He could make a temporary one, not bothering to have the crease/bend across the lower portion of the part. But he is like me, and tries to replace broken parts with the correct replacement. That would not be difficult with just a little help from Nissan.

But to have to buy the entire rocker assembly to get this one part sounds exactly like the way our government has always operated.