6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Test drove 07 3.5 SL, loved it but walked away

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by theKerb
I have the exact same thing happening to me (black on black is the way to go, btw!). I asked the dealer about it, he said it was normal and it had to do with how the CVT "sets" itself in different "gears" -- which makes sense somewhat. It didn't really bother me, so I didn't pursue it further. Would love to hear what you find out though.

I had contacted the dealer on this before. The salesman was a nice guy, at least that was what I thought before I came to know that blackmax07 got the same car for 28.8k while I got it for 29.4k. He told me that he drove two Maximas and both of them had the same thing. He also talked to a technician and the technician assured that was not a flaw but the way it is, so nothing to worry. I am relieved that you got the same feedback.

However, theoretically CVTs should be having an infinite number of gears, so this "setting at different gears" perception should not be there. I am wondering if the higher-end cars' CVTs like that of Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. also have this "setting at different gears" feel or not.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a se last week. Sticker was 28,500. Got it down to 26 even with financing rebate(500). I figured it out with rebate and not and it was cheaper for me to use their 1.9 percent financing than taking the rebate with 6.9 from captial one. I think they offered me same rate if I took the rebate instead of the financing. So, Im paying 420 a month(2grand down) for a really awesome car. Not bad! I went in to buy a 3.5 altima but after seeing the max next to it I had zero interest.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by bb700092
I still cannot believe that in order to sell me the car for 29.4k, the salesman acted as if he is selling the car for a loss. He was virtually pleading me to give him some more money. He stated that he is having to sell the car for a loss because they have a target of selling 13 cars by Friday and I am their 13th customer. Since it was around 11pm (the dealership is supposed to close at 10pm) and I could see that I was the only customer left, I believed in him. When I finally left the dealership with the car after all the paperwork was done, it was almost 1:00 am on Saturday.

Was your sticker price exactly $33,845? If yes, I have to say he was an extremely good actor, could have given Tom Hanks a run for his money
Hmm, might have to go look at the paper..I know it was atleast 33..Trust me man, you got a nice deal..My deal was because I knew the manager and the sales man real well..My cousin had bought a car from them 2 months before..We didn't even hastle, I walked in, he went to the office and came back with 29,300..We looked at it, he goes "i have some rebates h/o" and takes it to 28,800..And thats how it all went down ahah.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM

i test drove an 07 and bought it right out the back and love it
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For god sakes boys, just goto CARSDIRECT website and you'll see what the bottom line price with features & rebates is for any vehicle. Most dealers hate this site but as an educated consumer I love it!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by blackmax07
Hmm, might have to go look at the paper..I know it was atleast 33..Trust me man, you got a nice deal..My deal was because I knew the manager and the sales man real well..My cousin had bought a car from them 2 months before..We didn't even hastle, I walked in, he went to the office and came back with 29,300..We looked at it, he goes "i have some rebates h/o" and takes it to 28,800..And thats how it all went down ahah.

It always helps if you know a dealer personally or someone close to you has recently bought a car from the dealer. But the dealer is never going to sell you a car at a loss. Only the margin of profit varies. These dealers make money through a number of other incentives that the customers are not aware of. For example, if they sell more than some number of Maximas a month, then they might get an extra lumpsome from Nissan. So my point is if your dealer could give you the car for 28.8k, then my dealer could have done the same too (assuming same sticker price for our cars), unless your dealer was desperate to get rid of all his Maximas which I don't believe was the case.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by hunterstl
I bought a se last week. Sticker was 28,500. Got it down to 26 even with financing rebate(500). I figured it out with rebate and not and it was cheaper for me to use their 1.9 percent financing than taking the rebate with 6.9 from captial one. I think they offered me same rate if I took the rebate instead of the financing. So, Im paying 420 a month(2grand down) for a really awesome car. Not bad! I went in to buy a 3.5 altima but after seeing the max next to it I had zero interest.

In fact, I too went to buy an Altima (3.5 V6). I really like the 2007 Altima's tail lights. But after looking at the Maxima and comparing the options and the prices, I liked the Maxima more. So eventually went for a Maxima. I test drove both and there wasn't any difference as such. Did you find any difference when you test drove both?

One more reason why I went to get the Altima was, on paper, the power of Altima's engine is 272hp while that of Maxima is 255hp. I was surprised how the bigger and higher-end car could have lesser hp. Anyway, those few hp's didn't make a difference when I test drove both.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bb700092
However, theoretically CVTs should be having an infinite number of gears, so this "setting at different gears" perception should not be there. I am wondering if the higher-end cars' CVTs like that of Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. also have this "setting at different gears" feel or not.
the CVT's are programmed to simulate 6 (right? 6?) gears... I haven't driven one, but the impression I got from others is that there's still a bit of a "shift" to it.