6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Winshield ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Updated......8/31 Winshield ??

So, who's replace a windshield on their car? Driving home from DC the other day I took a hit from a softball sized rock that I have no idea how it even got kicked up, and it left a nice semi circle crack on the windshield. Looking at things it seems like some pieces will have to be removed to replace it? ANyone know? Does the wiper cowl have to come off? Please advise, I'm sick enough having to replace this thing, but to think it's gonna be a process really sucks. TIA
Old 08-19-2007, 09:33 AM

You're going to attempt to do this yourself? In FL, Insurance is responsible for 100% of the cost of windshield repair. Why not just put in a claim for repair? Even if you had to pay for it yourself, it shouldn't be much more than $300.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Just make sure you check the job when its done because i has mine replaced on my 02 Altima and later on I had leaks. Long story short I had to take it back to get it resealed. Stealership charged me almost $600...but insurance covered it.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 PM

I have two small chips in my windshield from small rocks. I live with them -- but eventually know that I will have to replace the windshield.

Your crack is bigger and I would let the insurance company pay for the repair. I would not try this myself. My local dealer does not even do this -- they call in professional car window people (they did this with the recall on my sky-view). You should do the same. You might call your dealer and see which company they use for their window repairs -- but then go to them directly.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:20 PM

If you have your windshield replaced, please please please take advantage of it and have the glass company bring new chrome strips, for 2 reasons.

1.) Once you've pulled the old ones back, they don't go back into place without being crimped.

2.) The originals tend to fade....
Old 08-20-2007, 04:55 AM

Thanx for the heads up about the strips.. And sorry if this post came off the wrong way. I will no doubt have a professional replace the glass, but i just wanted to know if they would be attempting to remove other pieces from the vehicle. If so maybe I would do that prior to the glass replacement, that's about it. I'm very leary of this as I had a Durango years ago that got into an accident. After demanding that the windshild be replaced due to some chips, it was never seated right and was replaced about 4 or 5 times. I sold the truck because of it.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 PM
wsu

replacement problems

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
If you have your windshield replaced, please please please take advantage of it and have the glass company bring new chrome strips, for 2 reasons.

1.) Once you've pulled the old ones back, they don't go back into place without being crimped.

2.) The originals tend to fade....
I had to have my windshield replaced a while back and ran into problems with the chrome strips. The shop even crimped new ones getting them snapped in, so they had to re-do the new ones.

Also, (and this really irked me), they smeared some of the black gummy compound that seals the window onto the interior at the top of the window. I asked them to clean it up and they only smeared it more, so I gave up. I was disappointed.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:06 PM

I just had mine replaced on my 07 and the guy mentioned he had to remove the chrome strips. He said one side came off clean, but a clip broke on the other side. He glued it down, which I didn't like, but he told me after the fact. They didn't look crimped at all though. Not sure what other parts have to be removed.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:22 AM

Windshield update and rotor news...

Quick update:

Went to dealer to get their thoughts on replacement. I have a good relationship with this place now. Service manager told me not to get Nissan glass as it just costs more. Told me to deal with the vendor that they use directly. Told me the way that the one place was doing it locally and he canned them becasue they were reusing some of the seals by cutting them and re sealing, where this other place that i will be using replaces them. As for the strips the glass people said they don't usually have a problem so would replace chrome strips as standard, so I figured I'd see what happens and replace myself if need be. Glass people would just charge me anyway if they needed to replace them. I'm scheduled for Friday. So far I'm happy with what I've heard and a little more at ease after talking with dealer. FYI Nissan wants like $500 and change just for the glass, then $125 for install (to pay the same people I'm going too), + chrome strips if needed for about $20 per strip I think it was... Compareed to the $250 it's gonna cost me.

On Another note, I started to experience some rotor warpage at highway speeds. Again spoke to dealer who will be cutting the rotors down and replacing pads. The pads he said isn't standard, but he now replaces them on his own will. Informed me that the rotors are covered under the 3yr/36k warranty which was very surprising to hear but awesome. They will cut them down over and over, if warped of course, until to thin then they will replace. I'll take a cut set until I'm ready to upgrade to better stuff.

Enjoy the day, I sure as hell will try too.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by VinneousMaximus
Quick update:

Went to dealer to get their thoughts on replacement. I have a good relationship with this place now. Service manager told me not to get Nissan glass as it just costs more. Told me to deal with the vendor that they use directly. Told me the way that the one place was doing it locally and he canned them becasue they were reusing some of the seals by cutting them and re sealing, where this other place that i will be using replaces them. As for the strips the glass people said they don't usually have a problem so would replace chrome strips as standard, so I figured I'd see what happens and replace myself if need be. Glass people would just charge me anyway if they needed to replace them. I'm scheduled for Friday. So far I'm happy with what I've heard and a little more at ease after talking with dealer. FYI Nissan wants like $500 and change just for the glass, then $125 for install (to pay the same people I'm going too), + chrome strips if needed for about $20 per strip I think it was... Compareed to the $250 it's gonna cost me.

On Another note, I started to experience some rotor warpage at highway speeds. Again spoke to dealer who will be cutting the rotors down and replacing pads. The pads he said isn't standard, but he now replaces them on his own will. Informed me that the rotors are covered under the 3yr/36k warranty which was very surprising to hear but awesome. They will cut them down over and over, if warped of course, until to thin then they will replace. I'll take a cut set until I'm ready to upgrade to better stuff.

Enjoy the day, I sure as hell will try too.
$500 just for the glass is rediculous. When I had my windshield replaced back in 04 (I think), I first called the local dealer's auto repair place to see how much they'd charge. I think they stated something like $350 just for the glass and then some for labor. Well, I then called the dealership's parts department and got online and checked and also called around the other nearest dealer (90 miles away), and found that the glass only cost something like $170 (I'm sure it's gone up). So, I then called the repair shop back and said "Hey, if I bring you the glass will you still do it for the same labor price you quoted me earlier?" and they agreed. He then asked where I was getting the glass for so cheap, and said "Your parts department"... then he made up some BS line about how he quoted a price for the wrong car. They did end up scratching an interior piece (shifter plate) while replacing the glass, which they replaced, and in doing so also broke the shift **** too... but at least the window replacement was reasonable.

Anyway, all of the prices were detailed in a thread I at the time. Bottom line is that they shouldn't be asking $500 just for the Nissan glass.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 PM

Update

K, so I guess today was my lucky day. Windshield went in without a hitch. Chrome trim popped off fine, and installed no crimps. (two of the female white clips did pop off with the trim, but no biggy there, installer siliconed them upon re-install). He took his time and was very thorough. As I said earlier, I;ve had a few windshields replaced before and this was by far the best I've seen it down. The whole cowl had to come up along with wipers and such in that area. He laid down an awesome bead of sealant and even fixed the direction that it was laying before dropping on the windshield (the tip was cut in an upside-down V and stood up about 1/2" -3/4". He brushed it ever so gracefully to force it leaning in rather than out) stupid detail I know, but I'm just so happy it went well.

On my side note, brakes were cut yesterday and all is better. Tech said the one rotor was more out of whack then other but shaved both none the less.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:54 PM

interesting subject