6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6Spd manual swap parts list

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
aka The Doom Ship

6Spd manual swap parts list

I took the parts list from someone(BIGMAX19) who did it in a 5.5 Gen and sent it off to http://geartrans.com. Brian contaced me within an half hour. We discussed my (potiential) project. He went off and did the research on the parts I included on the list and had a quote for everything in an hour. Now the quote is for all NEW parts except the tranny itself which he could sell me one that's been reman'd in house or one he found in salvage. Either way it would be about $2100 without a core.

Here's the list of parts I sent him:

6 Speed Transmission
1 MT ECU
Both Manual drive shafts (its a MUST, buy with tranny if possible)
1 shifter console piece (interior), Shifter, Shifter **** & Boot
1 brake pedal
1 clutch pedal
1 Clutch master cylinder
1 slave cylinder for transmssion (optional, may come with tranny)
1 MT Fly wheel
1 MT Starter

(From Nissan)

Flywheel bolts (6)
Clutch bolts
Park/Neutral switch (optional, may come with pedals)
1 clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing) (could be bought used from junk yard)
1 Manual tranny mount
Locking pin and clip for the clutch pedal to the master cylinder
1 shifting cable

Here's the quote. Again this is all new parts except tranny so it is kinda pricey. Let me know what you guys think.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Would it not be cheaper just to buy a similar spec'd model with a 6spd and sell yours? Swapping over mods of course.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:22 PM

$4533.78 for a MT swap, thats not including labor

what does a new 6 speed cost and do any of the other Manuals Nissan has fit in the Maxima, could a 350Z, G35 6speed fit
Old 08-30-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Would it not be cheaper just to buy a similar spec'd model with a 6spd and sell yours? Swapping over mods of course.
he already has work put into the car plus taking everything off, selling the car and finding a 6 speed and then putting everything back on, not really saving anything
Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Exactly! It would be waaaaayy too much trouble to do that.

Originally Posted by STARR
he already has work put into the car plus taking everything off, selling the car and finding a 6 speed and then putting everything back on, not really saving anything
Old 08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
.org extraordinaire

lol, and here i am wishing i bought an automatic, cause the traffic is killing me.

Kamski
Old 08-30-2007, 03:13 PM

the g35 and 350z are rwd transmissions not transaxles. it wont work unless you take the guts(diff/driveshafts of a g35x 4/door) and weld some things. but that would be interesting to see a rwd 6th gen maxima.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 PM
aka The Doom Ship

See, I don't even have a commute to work. I work from home 98% of the time. Plus down here in Texas we have nice long straights.

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
lol, and here i am wishing i bought an automatic, cause the traffic is killing me.

Kamski
Old 08-30-2007, 03:44 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I think what I might do once I really really really decide to try this is just buy a few parts at a time until I have everything.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:03 PM

I understand wanting a manual trannie. I would have nothing else. But that is a lot of money and work to get one in a Max that already has an auto trannie. And the 04 is like 4 years old (at least mine is) with a number of miles on it.

I would not go to all of that expense and trouble and just enjoy what you have. (But then I would have not bought an 04 with auto trannie to start out.)

I hear all of you out there who don't want a manual trannie because you have to drive to work in traffic. I drove a manual trannie (when I was still working) on the Illinois toll road for a number of years. For those who don't know -- you are either going 70 mph (where the limit is 55) or you are in stop and go traffic -- when driving the Illinois toll road in the Chicago area. I never got to the point of complaining about all of the shifts that I had to make. But then I am the control freak who likes the control a manual trannie gives you. I don't like an auto trannie picking the gear that connects the engine to the wheels.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:18 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I hear what yur sayin' that's why I thought about buying pieces over time. My car is only 3 years old(bought in May '04). The thing is, I know eventually my auto will fail and around that time would be a good time to go to 6spd. We'll see 6 months from now.

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
I understand wanting a manual trannie. I would have nothing else. But that is a lot of money and work to get one in a Max that already has an auto trannie. And the 04 is like 4 years old (at least mine is) with a number of miles on it.

I would not go to all of that expense and trouble and just enjoy what you have. (But then I would have not bought an 04 with auto trannie to start out.)

I hear all of you out there who don't want a manual trannie because you have to drive to work in traffic. I drove a manual trannie (when I was still working) on the Illinois toll road for a number of years. For those who don't know -- you are either going 70 mph (where the limit is 55) or you are in stop and go traffic -- when driving the Illinois toll road in the Chicago area. I never got to the point of complaining about all of the shifts that I had to make. But then I am the control freak who likes the control a manual trannie gives you. I don't like an auto trannie picking the gear that connects the engine to the wheels.