6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

2008 Release date

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 PM

2008 Release date

Anybody know when the 2008's are due at the dealers?

Thnaks!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
dot dot dot ...

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/200...ma_pricing.pdf
Old 09-07-2007, 11:51 PM

Pendarus - Already arriving at dealers. Most dealers don't have them yet because they haven't ordered them. They haven't ordered them for two reasons:
(1) - They are having trouble clearing out the '07s because the subprime mortgage collapse has taken millions of families out of the new car market and left other families concerned about a possible recession, and
(2) - The '08s are exactly like the '07s except for the '2008' in place of the '2007' on the window sticker, and the lowered estimated MPGs per new federal guidelines posted on the window sticker.

So go to your dealer and look at the non-window sticker side of an '07, and you are seeing exactly what you would see if it were an '08.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On this theme I notice that the 7th gens (2009) are being discussed in magazines. I hear they are due out in the upcoming auto shows with differing theories as to what will be available and what it will look like. Opinions seem to be that it will be CLK-like looking. (sorry if this is a bit off-topic)
Old 09-08-2007, 08:24 PM

Deus - yes, the consensus here when this was discussd in July was that the 7th gen Maxima will definitely be introduced in either a December or January auto show (my bet is December). Several also suggested it would have CLK touches, and I have no reason to disagree.

I am sticking with my feelings expressed back in 2005 that Nissan will adhere to their usual new gen routine and ship the first 7th gens to dealers this coming spring (I feel it will be in April; certainly within a month of April).

By late next month, November at the latest, we will be seeing supposed spy photos of the 7th gen. By Thanksgiving, at least one of the 'supposed' photos will probably have been authentic, but it isn't always easy to know which photo is authentic and which is not; especially with the masking of external parts Nissan always does during testing.

I have been 'in love' with the Maxima for 26 years, and always find the release of a new gen to be terribly exciting. But I will be very reluctant to part with my '04 SL; I absolutely love this car.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Newbie just Registered

I'm not very happy that the Los Angeles Auto Show has moved up much earlier than usual to Nov 16th. We'd probably miss the debut for sure, unless we're where Nissan choose to debut it.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:51 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I have to admit it will be interesting to see what Nissan comes up with. One top of that I found out this weekend I'm elligible for the VPP discount. http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/nissan/offer.html
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
I have to admit it will be interesting to see what Nissan comes up with. One top of that I found out this weekend I'm elligible for the VPP discount. http://www.insidenissan.com/vpp/nissan/offer.html

That's how I got mine. VPP knocked $4000 off the sticker price for me.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
But I will be very reluctant to part with my '04 SL; I absolutely love this car.
Agreed!!! Same with my '05'. I was just thinking yesterday how much I dig my car.

When my husband wants to take it to work, it makes me sour. He recently bought a Civic (after a brief stint with a TC), and I remind him that there were a few used Max's on the lot he could have chosen.

He asked my oldest daughter what could he do to his car to make it "faster than Mommy's? to which she replied.....You can't....Just take it back!

Yeah, but it gets 36-40MPG!!!"

I wonder how many older gen owners will trade in theirs for the 7th gens?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee

He asked my oldest daughter what could he do to his car to make it "faster than Mommy's? to which she replied.....You can't....Just take it back!

classic
Old 09-09-2007, 06:03 AM
aka The Doom Ship

I'm mad because I've been with EDS for 7 years now and just found out about this. I'm shootin for the M45 in a few years.

Originally Posted by shawndon
That's how I got mine. VPP knocked $4000 off the sticker price for me.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 AM

The M FTW.
I love that car. classy and sporty.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since my kids are grown or almost grown, I'm looking to downsize. I looked at the G37 with 330 hp, 14" brakes with 4 piston calipers, sport seats, etc. Not gonna buy just yet, but checked it out.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 PM

Pendarus - Already arriving at dealers. Most dealers don't have them yet because they haven't ordered them. They haven't ordered them for two reasons:
(1) - They are having trouble clearing out the '07s because the subprime mortgage collapse has taken millions of families out of the new car market and left other families concerned about a possible recession, and
(2) - The '08s are exactly like the '07s except for the '2008' in place of the '2007' on the window sticker, and the lowered estimated MPGs per new federal guidelines posted on the window sticker.

So go to your dealer and look at the non-window sticker side of an '07, and you are seeing exactly what you would see if it were an '08.
Thats what I needed to know. I am looking at a used 07 with 12000 miles. I wanted to wait till the 08's were out so I could negotiate a better price. If what you say is true, I am going to take the dealer to school!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:37 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Except I thought there were going to be 3 Max versions in 08, SE, SL and the Platinum addition...
Old 09-14-2007, 12:15 PM

chernmax - of course you are (as usual) correct about the '08 platinum edition. It will be in very limited quantities. In fact, I haven't even seen one yet, and the '09s are only six to eight months away.

Nissan did not even add or delete a single exterior or interior color for '08. That is rather unusual. The dealers I have visited are parking their '08s right in amongst their '07s, and if the window stickers were removed, only the VIN plate would differentiate the two.

I think '07 sales will come in somewhere around the 72,000 Nissan predicted, but will be surprised if the shortened '08 model year sells even 50,000.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 09-14-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Newbie just Registered

I read this a few days ago when the org was down so I didn't post until now. It's been confirmed by one of the 7th gen designers, who posts there, that some are out and about.

Originally Posted by RonSteinbach-FreshAlloy.com
I saw what I believe to be a 2009 Maxima this morning on the 405 freeway from Garden Grove to Costa Mesa, CA.

It was being driven in the car pool lane with two people inside. The car was completely wrapped in plastic, except for the taillights and part of the headlights. The car bore Michigan license plates.

(I wonder how much Brenda Priddy would pay me for a photo. However, my camera was in my trunk.)

Why do I believe it was a 2009 Maxima? It had the squat and demeanor of a Nissan product. At first I thought it might be a Mercedes judging from the taillights. The car came up from behind me in the car pool lane and passed me. I then sped up and eventually passed the car. The car was somewhat larger than my 2007 Maxima, but it still looked like a Maxima under the plastic girdle. The shape was slightly swoopier than my car, but not as extreme as the 4-door coupe of Mercedes.

The dash was completely changed from my car and was less rounded and more shelf-like. The front end I couldn't tell what happened there, as there was too much black plastic wrap.

The overall shape of the car I saw matched the descriptions and comments previously posted on this forum.

The car definitely looked upscale from my 2007.

The taillights were at least partly exposed. What I saw was about the size of the MBZ lenses. Those lenses usually have horizontal ridges. From a distance, the look was similar. On closer look, there were a number of vertical ridges as well, so a compartment type of look -- for backup lights and turn signals and brake lights.

I am familiar with all the vehicles on the road, and I know what new products are in the offing. And, almost all the new cars are refinements of previous models. The 2008 Accord still looks like an Accord, etc. Based on that, I feel strongly that I saw a 2009 Maxima.

If you look at the squat and bounce of the wheels of a 2004 through 2007 Maxima, it is different than anything else on the road. That is what I observed in the car I saw.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:06 PM

most dealers hide the 08 so they can sell whats left of the 07 inventory, I remember back in 02 when the 3rd gen altima came out the dealer was trying to get the 01 sold and everyone was looking for the new bigger altima and the dealer acted like their was no redesign, reason why I hate the sales side, if they could they would take kidneys and 1st borns as the down payment
Old 09-15-2007, 03:14 PM

The 08's are in stock at my dealership in Toronto Ontario (Canada). They look exactly like the 07's I believe they are identical. I did the PDI on one of them made me droool.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:01 PM

RHMax - Thanks for the 'first peep' reference on what could be an '09 being road tested. I look forward to many more 'could be' '09 sightings before the official release in three to four months. This is an exciting time!