Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Altima Start button install (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/540424-altima-start-button-install.html)

DeusExMaxima 10-06-2007 09:38 PM

Altima Start button install

I found this thread on a 350Z forum:
http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...ot%3B+14+3%2F8

Here is a thread from when someone installed a Honda S2000 Start/stop button

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220742

And a video of it working:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09615539395577

I am reading through it but I like the idea. Any thoughts?

DrunkieTheBear 10-06-2007 09:42 PM

damn you do way to much, but I like it. If you can get it to work go for it

farzin1 10-06-2007 10:25 PM

its nice but i think its very useless. no offence tho. :)

2AZN2DMAX 10-06-2007 10:30 PM

Just subscribing

bigwei 10-06-2007 11:00 PM

I think it's pointless because you still have to put the key in the ignition. It's like you're adding an extra step just to start your car.

DeusExMaxima 10-06-2007 11:29 PM

NO extra step. Instead of turning it to on, you push the START button. Its true its all about looks. It doesnt make starting the car any easier.

bigwei 10-06-2007 11:55 PM

Well, you're putting the key in the ignition might as well turn it, right? The extra step is having to reach down and push the button. Just my opinion. If anything, I think it would look better somewhere near the ignition than down by the shifter if that's possible.

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 12:06 AM

I think the point is for it to be seen. It looks pretty cool.

soundmike 10-07-2007 04:45 AM

How about going a bit further and using the entire Alt system so you wouldn't even have to insert the fob?

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike (Post 5989361)
How about going a bit further and using the entire Alt system so you wouldn't even have to insert the fob?

That would be great! If anyone knows about the Altima set up, feel free to chime in.

bwinter7 10-07-2007 09:27 AM

You could probably get a RFID receiver and somehow connect that to the harness, to start the car that way.

The sensor that picks up our stock chipped key, where is it located? Is the whole system right in the ignition column, or is it just a relay sensor that is controlled by the ECU? If it's in the ignition column, you could probably just replace it with the altima's ignition system. But if it's in any way connected to the ECU, I don't know how you could do it

SMOKIN'MAX 10-07-2007 09:37 AM

It's kinda like the BMW one- you still have to put the key in the ignition first, then press start button. Either way, I like it and think it's a cool feature.

philoforlife 10-07-2007 12:34 PM

Dear Deus,

I like this idea and had this installed on my IS300. It's not hard to do, the shop did it in about 3 hrs. I also had to insert the key. BUT, trust me - it is much, much cooler to look at. I would get more compliments on that and my halo's than anything else I did to the car.

However, it would even be MORE cool if you could fabricate the entire Intellikey system from an Altima to the Maxima. Absolutely no one has done it yet, and I would really enjoy being able to get in and hit the start button without putting a key in at all. The door locks would be a whole other issue and probably a lot more work (you'd have to port over Altima door handles and the entire mechanical system in the doors). But you could probably do it with the start button.

I'm guessing you'd knew a new key fob as well.

Joshua

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 01:54 PM

Another thread on my350z.com. This product looks like its nearing production.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296176

SickSE 10-07-2007 02:17 PM

That is purely pointless and pissing money out the window. Wow, spend a couple hundred bucks to add another step to starting the car. Enough is enough with these types of mods... :soapbox:

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by philoforlife (Post 5989746)
Dear Deus,

I like this idea and had this installed on my IS300. It's not hard to do, the shop did it in about 3 hrs. I also had to insert the key. BUT, trust me - it is much, much cooler to look at. I would get more compliments on that and my halo's than anything else I did to the car.

However, it would even be MORE cool if you could fabricate the entire Intellikey system from an Altima to the Maxima. Absolutely no one has done it yet, and I would really enjoy being able to get in and hit the start button without putting a key in at all. The door locks would be a whole other issue and probably a lot more work (you'd have to port over Altima door handles and the entire mechanical system in the doors). But you could probably do it with the start button.

I'm guessing you'd knew a new key fob as well.

Joshua

Josh, You're right. Read the post #14 that I posted of another thread from my350z.com. Its a very complicated proposition to reprogram the whole car for keyless starting. Check it out and let me know ur thoughts

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SickSE (Post 5989913)
That is purely pointless and pissing money out the window. Wow, spend a couple hundred bucks to add another step to starting the car. Enough is enough with these types of mods... :soapbox:

Its not another step - its a different step. Instead of twisting the key to start, you push the START button. Its like any visual mod. Why do I NEED a differnt shift knob when the OEM one is perfectly fine? Because the new one looks much better. Why did I get new rims when my stock rims look great? Because I like them better and they change the look of the car. Well this push start is the same thing. It looks pretty darn cool and that why lots of people are retrofitting them to cars.

RHMax 10-07-2007 02:31 PM

In most cars w/ intelligent keys, they use two steps button. Push one time for accessories power, second time for ignition. And at either point, if you step on the brake pedal, the engine will start. To stop, you push the button once to turn engine off, second time to turn accessries off. This can be done if the ECU can somehow detect the signal in the key, and a few relays; similar to auto start on alarm systems.

KPierson 10-07-2007 02:31 PM

With this style of mod you technically arn't adding an additional step to starting the car, as the car can still be started with the key. For normal driving you can use the key, but when you want to impress all your friends you can push the button.

Fastmax05 10-07-2007 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by KPierson (Post 5989949)
With this style of mod you technically arn't adding an additional step to starting the car, as the car can still be started with the key. For normal driving you can use the key, but when you want to impress all your friends you can push the button.

Thank you captain obvious LOL....

anyway... dues ... Do it man.. just another first for us 6th gen maxima fans (2004-2006) Where do u plan on installing it?? location wise.. ?

philoforlife 10-07-2007 03:03 PM

In that case so is:

Painting your calipers;
Adding a "Nissan" sticker to aforementioned calipers;
Adding headlight eyelids;
Adding a spoiler (unless you plan to be driving over 140 MPH :rolleyes:)
Adding a roof spoiler;
Tinting your lights;
Tinting your corner lights;
Doing any LED additions;
ETC on any visual mods.

And, this does not cost a couple hundred dollars. I can promise you that.

This is not pointless at all, I personally think this is one of the best visual mods out there (besides my personal favorite: the demon eye) and it does not mean you have to use the button at all (as Captain Obvious stated).

Thanks for listening.

Joshua

philoforlife 10-07-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima (Post 5989870)
Another thread on my350z.com. This product looks like its nearing production.
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296176

Deus,

After reading this, I would recommend that you wait for this system rather than using an S2000 button like I had on my IS. While it is practical, this system utilizes an LED readout on the Altima button which tells you more about what's going on (and looks cooler than the S2000 button).

For those of you who are lazy, here is what this is:

Originally Posted by my350z.com

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2923/13je7.jpg
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3803/14db0.jpg

What we have here is the developmental KPtechnologies 'Stage 2' Push Button Start system. This Stage 2 module still requires the use of the OEM key and transponder (Stage 3 is completely stand alone and is still in the engineering phase).

The module is centered around a 'smart' control module that has a dedicated 20mhz central processor. The processor monitors various inputs and controls all the outputs that allow this module to seamlessly integrate with the vehicles ignition system.

Through the push button, not only can the driver START the car, they can also STOP the car. Various LEDs on the button provide constant feedback as to the status of the system (LOCK, ACC, ON).

The module also contains a sophisticated 'self program' feature that automatically programs the module for the specific installation at hand. Programmable features include internal or external "LOCK" LED triggering and the ability to turn tachometer monitoring on or off. The LOCK LED can flash with the OEM LED if desired, or can be flashed by the internal processor. The tachometer 'on' mode is nice because it prevents the starter from cranking if the motor is running (a nice safety feature).

The development of this module is about 90% complete and it is ready to be installed in a test vehicle for further evaluation. All features listed above are currently working, with the exception of the tachometer monitoring (the hardware is working, but the control routines still need to be developed). We hope to send the first field units out to our testers in Early September.

The target price for the Stage 2 module is ~$150 for all the parts to install it (module plus 2-3 relays). We are hoping to release the product to the public before the end of the calendar year.

Besides this Push Button start module, KPtechnologies offers a wide range of custom electronic products. All of our products are engineered and manufactured in-house in the USA.

Please check out www.KPtechnologies.com for more information about OEM window up modules, VDC/TCS memory modules, auto lock modules, Navi OK bypass modules, Electronic Beep modules, Mirror Tilt modules, etc.

At this stage of the development we would love some feedback, thank you!

Also, he mentions that the stage 3 will be just like the Altima system (his rf transmitter will be closer range, he mentions later that you could have it mounted under a cup holder and drop the keys in for startup). It requires a shop to install however.

I will be installing this.

Joshua

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 03:43 PM

I wouldnt mind waiting for Stage 3. I would do the install as well. I just dont wanna wait til next summer or something. I get nervous when there is significant invasiveness, such as the Stage 3 system, even if you do get keyless starting. Stage 2 is minimally invasive and gets the job done and allows the driver the option of starting with key or using start button. Lets see how fast this project goes. I'd like to keep an eye on it and if KPierson can keep us posted here in maxima.org, that would be great!

KPierson 10-07-2007 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax (Post 5989946)
In most cars w/ intelligent keys, they use two steps button. Push one time for accessories power, second time for ignition. And at either point, if you step on the brake pedal, the engine will start. To stop, you push the button once to turn engine off, second time to turn accessries off. This can be done if the ECU can somehow detect the signal in the key, and a few relays; similar to auto start on alarm systems.

You still have a mechanical wheel lock that will need to by bypassed/disabled before you get to the point of not needing to put the key in the ignition.

philoforlife 10-07-2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by KPierson (Post 5990057)
You still have a mechanical wheel lock that will need to by bypassed/disabled before you get to the point of not needing to put the key in the ignition.

And the man himself speaks! Nice products! Deus here brought them all to my attention!

Joshua

RHMax 10-07-2007 04:12 PM

Steering lock isn't difficult to bypass. Anything else?

KPierson 10-07-2007 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax (Post 5990093)
Steering lock isn't difficult to bypass. Anything else?

No, if you can simulate the electronic side the mechanical wheel lock would be the only thing that would prevent you from driving the car (unless you just wanted to go in circles).

farzin1 10-07-2007 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima (Post 5989266)
I think the point is for it to be seen. It looks pretty cool.

Deus, i think you are rich.

RHMax 10-07-2007 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by KPierson (Post 5990103)
No, if you can simulate the electronic side the mechanical wheel lock would be the only thing that would prevent you from driving the car (unless you just wanted to go in circles).

It's a mechanical lock. It's not difficult as you're trying to make it sound.

KPierson 10-07-2007 05:52 PM

I never said it was or wasn't difficult to remove the mechanical lock, I am simply stated that it needs to be done to be able to drive the car without inserting a key.

The difficulty of getting around the mechanical lock will depend on the car at hand, and how you want to bypass it (temporary/permanent).

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 06:21 PM

This is the kind of invasiveness Im talking about. I'm not sure I want to disable the mechanical lock on my car and other things just to avoid having to slip the key in the ignition. Watch that video of the guy starting the car; it isn't very complicated at all. Its pretty cool, like I said.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...09615539395577

Kevin, I am glad you jumped in here and provided feedback. I appreciate all your work on this and hopefully this product can come to fruition in the 6th Gen Maxima and other cars.

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 06:26 PM

I was just thinking, what does the Altima have in place of the ignition switch? I imagine it doesnt have the wheel lock, right? Perhaps whatever is in the Altima could be retrofitted to our car, since there are a lot of parts that we share in common with with the Altima; or even teh entire ignition system? Any thoughts here?

RHMax 10-07-2007 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima (Post 5990322)
I was just thinking, what does the Altima have in place of the ignition switch? I imagine it doesnt have the wheel lock, right? Perhaps whatever is in the Altima could be retrofitted to our car, since there are a lot of parts that we share in common with with the Altima; or even teh entire ignition system? Any thoughts here?

It probably has similar system, either grounded or powered when car is on. Just find the unit and test it.

kamski 10-07-2007 06:44 PM

Who shat in your milk bowl this morning? Go play with your level 10 merlin dwarf or something.....

KPierson 10-07-2007 06:52 PM

The button pictured above is what the Altima has in place of an ignition switch. It is a Start/Stop button with 3 LEDs. If the car senses that the key is in the ignition, and the brake is pushed down you can push the button to start the car.

With the complexity of CAN based electronics it isn't very feasable to take a control unit from one car and put it in another, without replacing ever component on the CAN bus. On todays Nissans that would be just about any device with wires going to it.

The 'mechanical' wheel lock is most likely controlled electronically (solenoid or actuator). This is just a guess, I have no first hand knowledge of how they lock the wheel.

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 06:58 PM

How is the 350Z locked. Its prolly similar

KPierson 10-07-2007 07:29 PM

The 350Z is unlocked by the mechanical key.

RHMax 10-07-2007 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima (Post 5990374)
How is the 350Z locked. Its prolly similar

Well, any 6th genners had their cars stolen?

DeusExMaxima 10-07-2007 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax (Post 5990450)
Well, any 6th genners had their cars stolen?

Not me. Only had two valve stem caps taken once.

RHMax 10-07-2007 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by KPierson (Post 5990443)
The 350Z is unlocked by the mechanical key.

If that's the case, then the lock might have to be removed. Deus, do you want to tear the steering column apart??? :D