6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

VDC

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM

VDC

Would you guys recommend buying a 04 max with DSC? It's an option on the 04 so should I make sure I get it? How useful is it really?

Thx
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Do you mean VDC?

Exactly what is DSC?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Do you mean VDC?

Exactly what is DSC?

What he said ^^^^^^^^
Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Drivers Side Controls? Yes Definetely
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 PM

On the BMW its Downhill Stability Control.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Maybe he forgot the 4 to make it 4DSC-4 door sports car

Old 10-23-2007, 02:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!
Maybe he forgot the 4 to make it 4DSC-4 door sports car

It actually crossed my mind, believe it or not.

Originally Posted by Hilbe
On the BMW its Downhill Stability Control.
Possibly some Nissan variant. All I know is that you cannot dyno with it connected.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

VDC yeah (I meant dynamic stability control).

so VDC.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Kryogen - VDC was important enough for me that I deferred my purchase of my '04 for one year until I could get the exact car I wanted WITH VDC.

I had been checking the shipping inventory on the Nissan site almost every night, and when I saw that the exact car I was wanting WITH VDC was on its way from Smyrna to my dealer, I immediately began negotiations with my dealer's internet manager. I actually watched the car being unloaded on the dealer's back lot, and I owned it (conditional on my approval after a test drive) before the shipping material had been removed.

Having found out the hard way over fifty-eight years of driving just how difficult it can be to control a fish-tailing vehicle, and having read test reports of how well the 6th gen Maxima's VDC worked, I absolutely had to have it on my car.

In over thee years of driving my '04, I have never once turned the VDC off. Some here have suggested the VDC may be one reason I have never had torque steer, but I'm not sure those two things are related.

There was one additional reason I had to have the VDC package: it includes a full-size matching alloy wheel and tire; no space-saver spare for me.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 10-23-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Additional note: only around 5 to 10% of '04s have VDC.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:42 PM

Other opinions ?

And how can I make sure the maxima I buy has VDC ?

Is there a switch somewhere that I can see???

Thx
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

there is a switch next to the stearing column, next to your mirror adjustments.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Do not want to go off-topic but thought this is something useful to know here.

A max with VDC comes with a full size spare because a different size spare will not let the VDC operate. I have a question:

When we do tire rotations (i.e. every 6 months or so), do we need to include the spare in the rotation? That is, put away one of the tires being used as spare and use the spare tire in its place.

If the answer to the above is "no", then the spare tire will continue to remain new while the other four will be used up. At some point of time, when the used tires need to be replaced by new tires, they will be different from the spare unless exactly the same tires as the stock are purchased again (which might be difficult to get) or the spare tire which is already in new condition is also replaced.

What is the best way to handle this?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:15 PM

Just wanted to know, has anyone ever fishtailed their maxima? It just seems like its really hard to do unless you're being really stupid. In my old corolla I used to have to be very careful when taking a turn fast, you could feel the tail on that thing wanting to go.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SmokeNismo
Just wanted to know, has anyone ever fishtailed their maxima? It just seems like its really hard to do unless you're being really stupid. In my old corolla I used to have to be very careful when taking a turn fast, you could feel the tail on that thing wanting to go.
I'm sorry. I just had to laugh at that one when I was imagining your scenario. I'm planning on getting an 6th gen, but also hoping they unveil the 7th gen at the Tokyo Motor Show currently underway.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
SuPeRmOd

if my exact car had the option, yes i would have gotten it. but i don't think my dealer ordered any. even if he did, i got the last black 04 in my area.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Would you guys recommend buying a 04 max with DSC? It's an option on the 04 so should I make sure I get it? How useful is it really?

Thx
Fewer than 5% of 04's had VDC. Unless you've already found one, you may have to search for a while...

Last edited by NismoMax80; 10-24-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: weird double post, yet different words...
Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Fishtailing a Max is easy. Get large rear sway bar and end links, tighten the end links, and then drive really fast into a turn and in the middle of the turn, hit the brakes and see what happens. DISCLAIMER: I dont advise you to do this. So dont do this. But this is how to get a Maxima to fishtail or spin out.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by bb700092
Do not want to go off-topic but thought this is something useful to know here.

A max with VDC comes with a full size spare because a different size spare will not let the VDC operate. I have a question:

When we do tire rotations (i.e. every 6 months or so), do we need to include the spare in the rotation?
NO b/c u cannot rotate tires to both sides. so u would be only rotating 3 wheels on one side. just always keep it as a spare.

u only "rotate" front to back, staying on the same side. do not X them.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
SuPeRmOd

I fish tailed before stock...
oversteer after the RSB upgrade is so much more fun.
fish and driving are just a scary combo.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 PM

What percentage of 2004's came with traction control?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by LandsEnd
What percentage of 2004's came with traction control?

It was an option on 04's, hard to say how many. Standard on 05's and up.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 PM

VDC? Depends where you live, really. I'm in Chicago, and didn't want an '04 without it. I do not regret it... on several occasions actually.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:20 PM

Just in case there may be a few here that think stability systems such as VDC are primarily intended to prevent 'fishtailing', they do much more than that. In ANY situation in which the VDC sensors detect a that the vehicle is approaching an out-of-control situation (even a simple case of oversteer in a turn), it will take over, and has the ability to apply the brake to whatever individual wheel or wheels it needs to in order to bring the car back into a stable position.

By contrast, under driver-only control (no VDC), individual wheels cannot be braked, and braking in a case where the car is becoming unstable in a turn may only worsen the situation.

If a car without VDC is fishtailing, even expert drivers have trouble bringing it under control because there is a tiny delay in the power steering system when trying to quickly reverse the steering wheel at speed. Those who have been in this situation may remember the tiny fraction of a second when even brute force applied in an attempt to reverse the steering wheel at speed met an immovable resistance, and by the time that resistance lessened a fraction of a second later, the car was already swinging to the other side again. VDC overcomes that delay via individualized wheel braking.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum I just bought my Maxima 3.5 SE Platinum Edition on Monday night and I guess I would have to say I got the deal of the century on it so I can't complain. What originally happened was someone special ordered this car made a large down payment drove it for a few months and then figured out they couldn't afford it so they sold it back to the dealer to pay off the debt and the used car manager drove it some plus test drives. But the car listed between $36,000 & $37,000 and it's black with light gray leather interior. It only has about 8,000 miles on it and still has that new car smell. It was one of those deals that drop in your lap and you just can't pass it up.

I guess they call this version of the Maxima their Flagship since it has everything they offer in it and I just love it way to much.

I traded in a 1993 Camaro I bought brand new and had 261,000 miles on it. She was a great car but the 100 degree temps this summer took their toll and she started having some problems. So now I have bought my first import and I probably will never go back.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.

CK
Old 10-25-2007, 03:40 PM

cklamer - You have purchased a fine automobile. By opting for a vehicle made in the 5th year of the generation, most of the design bugs are long since gone, and you should have a very dependable car.

We will be interested in hearing of any experiences (good or bad) you have with your new wheels, especially with the CVT tranny.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Fishtailing a Max is easy. Get large rear sway bar and end links, tighten the end links, and then drive really fast into a turn and in the middle of the turn, hit the brakes and see what happens. DISCLAIMER: I dont advise you to do this. So dont do this. But this is how to get a Maxima to fishtail or spin out.
ahha, yea i forgot about braking during a corner, mainly because that's a big no no in my rule book. you're just asking for it if you do that.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
SuPeRmOd

cklamer
any Maxima is the flagship of nissan. hope salesman didn't try "flagship of maximas" on you. wow u really did upgrade cars tho. congrats
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
cklamer
any Maxima is the flagship of nissan. hope salesman didn't try "flagship of maximas" on you. wow u really did upgrade cars tho. congrats

No I actually found the original sticker that was never stuck to the window of the car in with the manuals. Since it was a special order they never stuck it to window. But the "FLAGSHIP"
Old 10-25-2007, 08:03 PM

cklamer
Yeah I understand that part and no the salesman never used that phrase on me. They were actually extremely great to deal with and as a matter of fact they used an out dated form so they drove to my office today so they could get me to sign a new one and tear up the old one.

I actually discovered the original factory sticker that was never stuck to the window of the car in with the manuals. Since it was a special order they never stuck it to window. But the "FLAGSHIP" part was at the top of the sticker. Probably because this Maxima has everything they can possibly put in one.

Look forward to enjoying the forum and asking questions.

So what kind of cool after market products do they have for Maxima's.

CK
Old 10-25-2007, 08:13 PM
I piss on Civics.

flagship of maximas.. lmfao. a dealer tried selling me on that in regards to the elite package. He goes "yeah man don't you wanna be the cool brother in the flagship of maximas??" I was fkin dieing. I told the guy straight out that he was 1. gay and 2. not getting my business 3. obviously knew nothing about the car, pride it comes with, nor the history of the car itself. It was the shadiest of dealers anyway so meh. BTW DONT GO TO LYNNES NISSAN IN BLOOMFIELD NJ!
Old 10-25-2007, 08:14 PM
SuPeRmOd

well just look around. this thread is about VDC.

and like i said, not probabaly, the Maxima is the Flagship regardless of the options.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by cklamer
Yeah I understand that part and no the salesman never used that phrase on me. They were actually extremely great to deal with and as a matter of fact they used an out dated form so they drove to my office today so they could get me to sign a new one and tear up the old one.

I actually discovered the original factory sticker that was never stuck to the window of the car in with the manuals. Since it was a special order they never stuck it to window. But the "FLAGSHIP" part was at the top of the sticker. Probably because this Maxima has everything they can possibly put in one.

Look forward to enjoying the forum and asking questions.

So what kind of cool after market products do they have for Maxima's.

CK
Not trying to bust your bubble but the Platinum Edition is a new marketing tool Nissan is using, I and several others checked what options come with the Platinum Edition and all it turned out to be was what they use to call as a top of the line option in the 04 through 07 Max as "The Preferred Drivers Package" nothing more. Nissan just changed the name...
Old 10-26-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ecksy
flagship of maximas.. lmfao. a dealer tried selling me on that in regards to the elite package. He goes "yeah man don't you wanna be the cool brother in the flagship of maximas??" I was fkin dieing. I told the guy straight out that he was 1. gay and 2. not getting my business 3. obviously knew nothing about the car, pride it comes with, nor the history of the car itself. It was the shadiest of dealers anyway so meh. BTW DONT GO TO LYNNES NISSAN IN BLOOMFIELD NJ!

I agree with you, i tried buying a car from them about 2years ago, they really suck
Old 05-23-2009, 12:54 PM

NO b/c u cannot rotate tires to both sides. so u would be only rotating 3 wheels on one side. just always keep it as a spare.

u only "rotate" front to back, staying on the same side. do not X them.
Old thread I know, but why do you not rotate left/right?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by grv575
Old thread I know, but why do you not rotate left/right?
Most performabce tires now are directional and have arrows which indicate direction of rotation, which means a Front/Rear or Rear/Front from the same side is OK, a left to right swap would mean you now have the arrows facing backwards hense your tire will work, but not to optimum grimp if channeling water.