6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

5AT Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM

5AT Manual Shift

Anyone on here use there 5AT (manually shift), and does it produce a faster 0 to 60 then leaving it in drive? I read that the manual is faster then the auto. If this is true is the 5AT in manual mode the same 0 to 60 as a regular manual?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM

just leave it in D.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 PM
Newbie just Registered

Manumatic doesn't make the car quicker or faster. It gives you the option of choosing your own shift point.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 PM

Mine as well leave it in drive, and save on gas.
I've only tryed it once (yesterday) since I got the car in August. Probably harder on the engine, and tranny too. I don't see the point in it.

Last edited by LandsEnd; 10-24-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by LandsEnd
Mine as well leave it in drive, and save on gas.
I've only tryed it once (yesterday) since I got the car in August. Probably harder on the engine, and tranny too. I don't see the point in it.
It's handy when doing some spritied driving, down shift when cornering, etc.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
SuPeRmOd

did u just answer your own question?

the car is designed to shift as often as you like. i use it to engine brake and if i want to redline.

so far 5AT have shown faster track times than 6MT.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by RHMax
Manumatic doesn't make the car quicker or faster..
This is true as a general statement, but ultimately; it depends on your current power levels, power curve, and of course rev limit.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

i use it only for downshifting fast... or cornering at high speeds...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have found this feature both useless and frustrating, because all of the other gear settings don't exist (such as 3-2-L for saving fuel economy or driving in snow/ice). Despite the fact my car is supposed to have traction control, it is horrible in the snow and ice, and I can't put the manual shift into 2nd gear from the start line to help. I am constantly spinning the front wheels. In fact, I don't like driving it in the rain much either, as I had one spin-out with it when it was fairly new. Thank goodness I have my F-150 for when the weather gets nasty.

-- Scott

Originally Posted by LandsEnd
Anyone on here use there 5AT (manually shift), and does it produce a faster 0 to 60 then leaving it in drive? I read that the manual is faster then the auto. If this is true is the 5AT in manual mode the same 0 to 60 as a regular manual?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I piss on Civics.

I have to agree with most of you guys. The manual seems rather cumbersome and not really useful. The only time I use it is when I feel like ripping apart an empty highway. That and beating fastmax to the quick corners.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Limerick
I have found this feature both useless and frustrating, because all of the other gear settings don't exist (such as 3-2-L for saving fuel economy or driving in snow/ice). Despite the fact my car is supposed to have traction control, it is horrible in the snow and ice, and I can't put the manual shift into 2nd gear from the start line to help. I am constantly spinning the front wheels. In fact, I don't like driving it in the rain much either, as I had one spin-out with it when it was fairly new. Thank goodness I have my F-150 for when the weather gets nasty.

-- Scott
1.) Sell your car
2.) Buy another car?
3.) ???
4.) Profit?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
1.) Sell your car
2.) Buy another car?
3.) ???
4.) Profit?

I'll take option 3 and keep the car, thanks.

-- Scott
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'll take option 3 and keep the car, thanks.

-- Scott
And of coruse drive the Ford on rainy says, right?

--NmexMAX
Old 10-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
And of coruse drive the Ford on rainy says, right?

--NmexMAX

Yes, I will continue to drive my (4WD) truck on days with heavy rain, ice, or snow.

As for the automatics with auto-shifter, it's becoming very common on most V6 automatic sedans, and I don't see the value in them if the car is going to shift into the gear it wants to anyway, or if you can start out in a higher gear (2nd) to help with hp/torque to the front wheels. I'd much rather have options for better fuel economy, better performance (higher revs before shifting), and lower hp/torque starting conditions to go with traction control and ABS. I had better options on my 90's Intrepid, which was excellent in all driving conditions.

-- Scott
Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM

-- Scott
Get 4 17' snow tires, that helps tremendously.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Scott, 2nd, 3rd, 4rd & 5th gear starts are available, however u must in the desired gear prior to the start in order to lock it in. To lock in any forward gear [while in that gear] push the gearshift forward [ + ] an hold it there, now when u come to a stop the tranny will stay in that gear till u release the gearshift
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Newbie just Registered

-- Scott
In short, it's still an AUTO trany, even a sequential manual trany still have to start at 1st gear when you initially start to drive. 3-2-L, are all represented in 1st, 2nd, 3rd gear, etc. Horrible traction is more on your tires and throttle than gearing. We have no snow here, but I have no problem with rain or loose gravel in D with TCS.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:26 AM
SuPeRmOd

wow Limerick,
instead of flipping out, you could easy read the answers to all your complaints. for example: Like mentioned, you are able to hold 2nd gear when u stop. even if u don't feel like doing that, as soon as u move, 2nd is available to you again.

would u prefer having a fixed 3-2-1 that you end up past redline longer than safe? instead of 5-4-3-2-1 that prevents damage?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Machinist
Scott, 2nd, 3rd, 4rd & 5th gear starts are available, however u must in the desired gear prior to the start in order to lock it in. To lock in any forward gear [while in that gear] push the gearshift forward [ + ] an hold it there, now when u come to a stop the tranny will stay in that gear till u release the gearshift

Thanks for the info, didn't realize that was possible.

-- Scott
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
wow Limerick,
instead of flipping out, you could easy read the answers to all your complaints. for example: Like mentioned, you are able to hold 2nd gear when u stop. even if u don't feel like doing that, as soon as u move, 2nd is available to you again.

would u prefer having a fixed 3-2-1 that you end up past redline longer than safe? instead of 5-4-3-2-1 that prevents damage?

I wasn't flipping, I'm calm as can be, just expressing my opinion on autosticks. And all those answers came after my initial posts, so I have no idea what you're getting at.

I would still prefer other auto-trans options, like those on Toyotas and older cars. It seems to me that the autosticks are popular to make the cars more sporty, and/or perhaps because most cars come with traction control now.

-- Scott
Old 10-25-2007, 11:13 AM
SuPeRmOd

I wasn't flipping, I'm calm as can be, just expressing my opinion on autosticks. And all those answers came after my initial posts, so I have no idea what you're getting at.

I would still prefer other auto-trans options, like those on Toyotas and older cars. It seems to me that the autosticks are popular to make the cars more sporty, and/or perhaps because most cars come with traction control now.

-- Scott
u weren't being obnoxious, just seemed like bashing. but there are older threads that explain a lot. the main thing is to make them "sporty" but there are many advantages to having it.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the info, didn't realize that was possible.

-- Scott
You're welcome, other features of the manual mode are, pulling the gearshift back [-] will drop the tranny into the next lowest gear [two pulls = 2 gears lower and so on]. If u pull the gearshift & hold it back the gear selected will now be locked in, and if u go WOT it will take u past the redline to the rev limiter

Last edited by Machinist; 10-25-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:28 PM

Despite the fact my car is supposed to have traction control, it is horrible in the snow and ice, and I can't put the manual shift into 2nd gear from the start line to help. I am constantly spinning the front wheels. In fact, I don't like driving it in the rain much either, as I had one spin-out with it when it was fairly new. Thank goodness I have my F-150 for when the weather gets nasty.

-- Scott
Scott,

Don't blame the Max (or even the trannie) for your problems in snow, ice or rain. Blame the RSA tires. I thought exactly like you did in your post above, even though I have a manual trannie that lets me start in 2nd gear (or even 3rd). I would take my 4-wheel drive Dodge pickup truck out whenever it snowed here in Colorado and leave the Max at home because of the poor performance climbing hills in the snow.

A year and a half ago, I replaced my RSAs with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. But I thought that the snow problems with my Max were due to the car. Then I got caught in a surprise spring snow storm in eastern Colorado early last April. It was actually a blizzard due to the blowing snow. The Pilot Sports pulled us through this storm and the car performed flawlessy in this blizzard. My wife noticed that the only vehiches we saw driving in these condidions were simi-trucks, pickup trucks, SUVs, and our Maxima sedan. We were the only sedan we saw on the road that day. And my Max does not have traction control -- which should only improve the ability of this car to handle snow.

Get good tires to replace your RSAs and the Max will be a good performer in snow -- so long as the frame does not scrape due to really deep snow.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 10-25-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

I use the Manu Mode more so then Auto.

1.) Manu-mode allows you to choose your shift points according to your driving.

2.) It allows you to build-up RPM when passing or changing lanes.

3.) It allows you to stay in gear and use the engine for going or slowing.

In auto mode -> you step on gas then brake, gas, brake

In manu mode - > you step on gas then release the gas pedal to slow down.

4.) Manu mode is the best in stop and go traffic. Shift to 2nd gear and it will stay there. In auto it will constantly cycle 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears

5.) Winter driving. Shift into 2nd right after taking off and wheels won't slip as much.

6.) Yes, manu driving will decrease your MPG

Just my 0.03

B
Old 10-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

-- Scott
Don't say useless untill you know how to use it. The fact that you have problems in snow is due to your tires and nothing else. My UHP Summer tires performed better than RSAs. As to 2nd gear from get go, its easy, start rolling and immediatelly shift to 2nd.

Dude, just learn instead of bashing.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

I'm actually a big fan of the manual mode, and use it quite often. I like to downshift at off-ramps and if I have enough time to do so when traffic suddenly comes to a halt. It extends brake life to an extent and helps me keep my wheels free of brakedust (seriously). On curvy roads, I'm usually in 3rd. Also, I find short shifting can be a gas saver as well, instead of waiting for it to shift w/o giving it more gas to get into the higher gear. Lastly, I find that, from a stop (with TCS off), leaving it in Manu-mode and letting it shift at almost redline is a blast, especially with the intake screaming. All in all, much more fun than auto, and I'm glad it's there.

Last edited by SMOKIN'MAX; 10-25-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

+1 to what Smokin' Max said. I love letting it get close to redline to hear the intake scream... If not in manumatic mode, it shifts a little sooner and I don't get as much adrenaline rush!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:22 PM

Does it cause engine, or transmission damage? (I'm concerned about using it.) Manual says its for going down steep hill.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

It won't let you downshift to a gear of which the revs would be too high- it'll just ignore your request. If it didn't have the rev-limiter, that would be a concern. I drove an Audi for 60,000 miles using it, and this Max for 30,000 and have not had any tranny problems (knock on wood).

Last edited by SMOKIN'MAX; 10-25-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: adding to it
Old 10-25-2007, 06:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine also won't let me upshift if my revs (or is it mph) are too low. I have noticed that I often cannot get the car to go into 5th gear if going ~ 40, but if I switch back to auto mode, I can feel it upshift into top gear... Oh well, that doesn't bother me at all. I like being able to downshift faster in manumatic mode to pass people
Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM
SuPeRmOd

^^^
5th starts around 45. u r imagining it upshifting at 40.

try this. hold it on 5. then slow down to 40. once u let go u will see it go to 4. switch to D it will not upshift.

or the opposite, cruising at 40 go to manual. it was already in 4th. u won't notice it downshift.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
I use the Manu Mode more so then Auto.

6.) Yes, manu driving will decrease your MPG

Just my 0.03

B
Manu mode decreases MPG? I thought manu mode increases MPG because in Manu you shift gears less often than in Auto.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:26 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by bb700092
Manu mode decreases MPG? I thought manu mode increases MPG because in Manu you shift gears less often than in Auto.
MAYBE if u shift perfectly with the lowest RPM at all times. but how easy is it to forget and ur at 5k RPM will in 2nd?

taking it slow keeping the RPM between 1k-2.5k in auto would yield the best MPG. that is very difficult in manual mode.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 PM

I only use the manual mode in stop and go traffic. The auto mode can be really jerky sometimes. using the manual mode reduces the amount of shifts and helps me snake through other cars quicker because it doesnt waste time shifting then going
Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by bb700092
correct !

Hardly anybody will shift in manu mode at low RPMs cause for most that isn't the reason they switched to manu mode in the first place. So unless you specifically use it to upshift at low (and specific) RPMs in order to save on gas, your MPG will suffer.