6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Access Port

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:03 AM

Access Port

Hey guys,

I came across this tuning device. If this device was available for our cars, would it be worth it, or is there something better than this?

here is the linkhttp://cobbtuning.com/products/?id=3686
Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
dot dot dot ...

If it works for the Z, it should work for your car. Looks similar to the VW device GIAC or something similar.

A lot of Subby owners have this Cobb STG-I/II etc. stuff.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:17 AM

Cool. Well maybe you can help me out. I'm a total noob when it comes to ECU upgrades. I been reading a lot about e-manage and Osirus, but I see that both are different. What I'm looking for is something that I can switch on and off. For example: I have a CAI and soon will add the spacers to my manifold and add a complete exhaust system. With my current setup I feel that my car is running lean with the CAI. At first I felt the power, but now is gone. I understand that in order for my ECU to accept this add on I need to reset it. Sending out my ECU to get flashed is not an option for me since I cant afford not having a car for more than 2 days. So what I'm basically looking for is something that will learn my new updgrades and adjust my ECU to the correct settings (like the Osirus) and use those settings when I hit the track and while I do my normal daily driving switch to a daily driving mode to save on gas. Any suggestions of what products I can use for this?

Thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by myer84
Cool. Well maybe you can help me out. I'm a total noob when it comes to ECU upgrades. I been reading a lot about e-manage and Osirus, but I see that both are different.
That's a start, at least you're doing some research.
What I'm looking for is something that I can switch on and off.
I'm not too familair with this product, but am somewhat w/ the VW GIAC that I mentioned earlier, and it has that capability. (switch maps on the fly)
With my current setup I feel that my car is running lean with the CAI.
Unless you have real data, I wouldn't go so far as to drawing conclusions.
At first I felt the power, but now is gone. I understand that in order for my ECU to accept this add on I need to reset it.
I will still argue this, IMO, myth. The MAF is going to see what the MAF is going to see, plain and simple. Now if we are referring to STFT's, then yes, a reset will affect it, but STFT's do not affect WOT operation/performance.
Sending out my ECU to get flashed is not an option for me since I cant afford not having a car for more than 2 days.
I thought the same thing, but I got around ok. If you overnight it, it should return to you in about 2 days, since they overnight it back to you.
So what I'm basically looking for is something that will learn my new updgrades and adjust my ECU to the correct settings (like the Osirus) and use those settings when I hit the track and while I do my normal daily driving switch to a daily driving mode to save on gas. Any suggestions of what products I can use for this?
Mods aren't learned, they're optimized. If I were in your shoes, I would try the Cobb device, depending on price of course. You may want to get in contact with them and see if really will work with your car. Ask if they offer some free trail thing so you can verify(longshot/Hail Mary). Even then, I'm sue you could sell it pretty fast on the Z/G forums.

Seems as if a device like this is more a long the lines as an 'in between' type of thing. Basically, instead of logging/monitoring/tuning/adjusting, you plug in multiple preset maps, depending on what extreme you want. This takes away the in depth 'tuning' that comes with say a 'manual' system (UTEC/EMU), but allows change unlike a TS.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 10-30-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks for your help. I will definatly look into that.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Nmex. You got me kind of curious here. I started reading up a bit on the TS ECU Reflash. What are your personal feelings regarding this process?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Mack
Nmex. You got me kind of curious here. I started reading up a bit on the TS ECU Reflash. What are your personal feelings regarding this process?
Once you get it done it's done, you cannot change it unless you send it back to TS, and even then, you don't have the guarantee that they changed anything unless you have data logs from before you sent it out.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM

For those who cant afford to have their car down with the TS flash just get a spare ECU like I did. Payed $100 for it.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by shawndon
For those who cant afford to have their car down with the TS flash just get a spare ECU like I did. Payed $100 for it.
But that doesn't entail having the dealer reprogram etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

See, that was going to be my strategy as well, but then reading the TS site they state every ECU is different. This ala their FAQ. Nmex, so I can purchase a used ECU then take it to the dealer for programing? Then send to TS for reflash?

---
Can I get a spare ECU/ do you have a core swap program?
No. The current Nissan models have an immobilizer chip build in each car with its own key for thief prevention. This means that you CAN NOT get another ECU and run your car. It will not start. However, we can duplicate your immobilizer into another ECU.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Mack
. Nmex, so I can purchase a used ECU then take it to the dealer for programing? Then send to TS for reflash?
That's the expensive way of doing it. Just find a ride for a couple of days. That's what I did.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:46 PM

What a pisser. I suppose I could just rent a car for a few days.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
But that doesn't entail having the dealer reprogram etc.
True. I forgot about that. I had to pay$120 for that
Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Man, you got lucky!

I got *** rapped for $300 on a spare ECU and then $100ish for install + programming the keys to the new one............BUT, I was fortunate enough to meet the cool Nissan tech that does my bolt-on work that I don't have the tools to do for CHEAP through this method!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Cheap tool set (various metric sockets) is all you need for all bolt ons (minus headers).

www.car-part.com sells ECU's for cheap.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:10 PM

Cheap tool set (various metric sockets) is all you need for all bolt ons (minus headers).

That's where I got mine from.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Ya I know, but I wasn't positive on how to get the EXACT ECU, so I got it through my buddies dad's shop.

As for tools...kind of hard to use hand tools on rusted nuts...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by !PrjctMax!

As for tools...kind of hard to use hand tools on rusted nuts...
Excuses/Lies
Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM

Excuses/Lies
:stfu: