6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Maxima SE problems ive had

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 AM

04 Maxima SE problems ive had

04 Maxima SE, 65,000 miles, this is my first and last Nissan. Very discouraging because all this stuff happened at exactly 61,000miles. Right outside of the factory warranty.

#1) Tons of rattling from the front suspension, I thought it was the shocks, but got the car up on the lift and realized the bolt holding the steering column to the frame had fallen out, so the column was flopping around in the engine bay. That was easy, but dangerous.

#2) ABS kicked on under normal braking, brake lights went on in dash. The ABS motor stays running even when the vehicle is turned off and the keys are out. Only way to stop the motor is by clipping one of the terminals on the multi-fuse under the hood. ran the codes. Most likely the ABS solenoid Assy, $1400 from dealer. Just driving without ABS right now till I can save up the money to fix or find one cheaper used.

#3) Hard shifting from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. I don't know if it the transmission or not, but its making me nervous.

#4) Engine vibration and engine noise under light acceleration until it downshifts to a lower gear and the RPM's rise again. It seems to be hanging in a higher gear longer than it should be while cruising and doesn't downshift fast enough when pedal is pressed to accelerate.

#5) RSA tire recall, previously replaced 2 of them out of pocket because of sidewalls cracking. But just recently had the other two covered under the recall in full. Still ticks me off because it cost me money on the first two.

I wish Nissan would address some of these issues!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:50 AM
SuPeRmOd

they have. they r called TSBs. try to compare the Maxima issues with other cars selling for the same sticker and less. cars are cars. they have so many things that can go wrong. Hell, compare the issues with come higher priced brands as well. some have way more serious/expensive issues.

let me guess. you bought used? there are extended warranties out there. and many newer/used cars are very likely the small percentage that have something going wrong and are sold b/c of that.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
they have. they r called TSBs. try to compare the Maxima issues with other cars selling for the same sticker and less. cars are cars. they have so many things that can go wrong. Hell, compare the issues with come higher priced brands as well. some have way more serious/expensive issues.

let me guess. you bought used? there are extended warranties out there. and many newer/used cars are very likely the small percentage that have something going wrong and are sold b/c of that.
. . . Every car evetually has problems, so you can't bash Nissan's
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 AM

Keep in mind many of your issues have been documented here. The 04' was plagued with problems such as struts, tires etc. I am glad I have an 05' because 70k miles and not one problem. I just did the brakes(Could have let them go longer) and the tires still are going strong(only replacing them because I drive x country in the winter) With proper maintainence my car will last a long time. I wouldn't abandon Nissan just yet.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to have an 02 Maxima GLE that was scraped due to an accident....I was hit by a 70 year old man that was driving drunk back from a xmas party and had fallen asleep at the wheel. He was speeding and went right through a red light a 2 in the morning, in Dec 03. He even had an older invalid sitting next to him in the passenger seat (he hit his head in the window as there was no air bag for him) Unforturnatly due to a comedy of errors on the part of our finest (Montreal Police) a breathalyzer was never administered and instead they ended up going to the hospital...oh and did I mention that he could only walk with a cane and that with lots of difficulty....how could his foot react to an emergency situation? He was driving an Acura EL which is only sold in Canada from what I understand. The EL is a dressed up Civic. After hitting my much larger car (2002 Maxima GLE) and spinning it around 180 degrees he went over a curb and smashed his car on to the side of a building. Lucky for him the building had a faceted corner instead of a regular corner or they would have wedged in to the building!

The point is: The car saved me from serious injury...not even whip lash! The air bags went off and that was the last thing the car did to make sure I was safe. Any other car and I'm sure I would have had serious injuries...After that the insurance company bought me a 04 SL which was a total lemon....I even had a new tranny replaced after only 15K kilometers which is under 10K miles! The car was in the shop every two weeks with another problem....suspension, exhaust, electric windows, stereo, etc etc etc. it was so bad that I was going to invoke the lemon law in Canada, then I went to my stealership and said this is it or that's the end. They worked out a deal with Nissan Canada and bought the car back from me and placed in a new 05 (Second production run) Although I still have some suspension issues (3 years later) I live with it and get them fixed now and then. Even got the extended warranty which I later found out (fine print) does not cover the suspension). Will I change from Nissan? Not if I can help it! Why? Because Nissan and my stealership stand behing the product and help me out when I need it. And because I know that they are safe vehicles. Believe me, I have friends with Hondas, Mazda's, Acura's Mercedes, American cars etc. I used to own an '91 Accord EX-R and a 1996 Mazda 626, 1988 Ford Probe LX, 1995 and 1997 VW Golf GTI, and several American company cars. And I can honestly say that my 05 Maxima SE is the best one that I've owned so far and the most fun to drive too. Most of my other cars were not made as well except for the Honda. So you need to look at the big picture and you need to put things in to their proper perspective.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
I used to have an 02 Maxima GLE that was scraped due to an accident....I was hit by a 70 year old man that was driving drunk back from a xmas party and had fallen asleep at the wheel. He was speeding and went right through a red light a 2 in the morning, in Dec 03. He even had an older invalid sitting next to him in the passenger seat (he hit his head in the window as there was no air bag for him) Unforturnatly due to a comedy of errors on the part of our finest (Montreal Police) a breathalyzer was never administered and instead they ended up going to the hospital...oh and did I mention that he could only walk with a cane and that with lots of difficulty....how could his foot react to an emergency situation? He was driving an Acura EL which is only sold in Canada from what I understand. The EL is a dressed up Civic. After hitting my much larger car (2002 Maxima GLE) and spinning it around 180 degrees he went over a curb and smashed his car on to the side of a building. Lucky for him the building had a faceted corner instead of a regular corner or they would have wedged in to the building!

The point is: The car saved me from serious injury...not even whip lash! The air bags went off and that was the last thing the car did to make sure I was safe. Any other car and I'm sure I would have had serious injuries...After that the insurance company bought me a 04 SL which was a total lemon....I even had a new tranny replaced after only 15K kilometers which is under 10K miles! The car was in the shop every two weeks with another problem....suspension, exhaust, electric windows, stereo, etc etc etc. it was so bad that I was going to invoke the lemon law in Canada, then I went to my stealership and said this is it or that's the end. They worked out a deal with Nissan Canada and bought the car back from me and placed in a new 05 (Second production run) Although I still have some suspension issues (3 years later) I live with it and get them fixed now and then. Even got the extended warranty which I later found out (fine print) does not cover the suspension). Will I change from Nissan? Not if I can help it! Why? Because Nissan and my stealership stand behing the product and help me out when I need it. And because I know that they are safe vehicles. Believe me, I have friends with Hondas, Mazda's, Acura's Mercedes, American cars etc. I used to own an '91 Accord EX-R and a 1996 Mazda 626, 1988 Ford Probe LX, 1995 and 1997 VW Golf GTI, and several American company cars. And I can honestly say that my 05 Maxima SE is the best one that I've owned so far and the most fun to drive too. Most of my other cars were not made as well except for the Honda. So you need to look at the big picture and you need to put things in to their proper perspective.

I am surprised that the extended warranty does not cover suspension. Are you talking about the Nissan Gold Preferred? Did you purchase that within the first 12 months/12,000 miles of your maxima?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 AM

I drive an 04 SE with 97,000 miles and not one issue --> except the driver, Im not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
Old 10-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by bb700092
I am surprised that the extended warranty does not cover suspension. Are you talking about the Nissan Gold Preferred? Did you purchase that within the first 12 months/12,000 miles of your maxima?
Warranty doesn't cover wear and tear parts, unless part of TSBs/recalls.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Warranty doesn't cover wear and tear parts, unless part of TSBs/recalls.
Yes I know but I don't think xorbitman is referring to wear and tear parts. I think he is referring to something more serious and not just normal wear and tear.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:21 PM

65,000miles and only paid for to replace two RSAs ???? Is this a problem ????? My '04SE has 54000Miles and I'm on the third set of tires.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My 04 SE is at 70k and have only done routine maintenance (new tires, oil change, etc). No problems here. Best car I have ever owned. I had an 86 maxima for my first car, which was great. My grandpa had a 90, and then a 97, and then a 2003. All awesome, reliable cars. You would have a hard time convincing me to hate Nissan after all of our good experiences...
Old 10-31-2007, 07:25 PM

i'm getting close to 116,000 Miles and only had to spend a few bucks on maintenance.

-front brake pads
-replace one of the a/c hose
-oil changes

..and nothing else.!
Old 10-31-2007, 09:23 PM

I'm shocked by all the high mileage 2004's. I'm only at 29,000 miles. Now tell me to :stfu:
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by LandsEnd
I'm shocked by all the high mileage 2004's. I'm only at 29,000 miles. Now tell me to :stfu:
If you insist ........ :stfu:
Old 11-01-2007, 07:48 AM

39K no issues bought used
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by LandsEnd
im at 52000 now. 97000 is kinda alot for 04. ive had the car for like 4 months now and i only put 2000 miles on it in 4 months. I havent even changed the oil since i bought it. But i do agree with some minor problems on Maximas, like electrical problems:

1: my right window sometimes when i pull it down wont go back up, i checked with nissan, but they cant find the issue
2: my fog lights dont come on. i mean they do but only 20% of the time.
3: My cd changer was acting up for a little while
4: rattleing noise from the break light thing when stero is on.
and a couple more that i cant remember
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by farzin1
im at 52000 now. 97000 is kinda alot for 04. ive had the car for like 4 months now and i only put 2000 miles on it in 4 months.
I actually bought the car with high miles and a low price.. The car was always serviced at the dealship where I bought it. Not a tab bit of doubt in my mind that this Maxima will not last.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

My car had #2, and I know of one other guy on here also with the ABS problem. This is the worst one because of the exhorbitant costs of fixing it, I received goodwill from the dealer fortunately to cover it in spite of being out of warrently.
Everybody has #3 and most have #5, as did I. I dont think the hard shifting is a big deal personally, its just when its cold.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Learning English...

After 2 months of driving my Maxima 04 SE, i decided to get rid of her asap even that i'm going to loose a lot of money....

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by NIKV69
Keep in mind many of your issues have been documented here. The 04' was plagued with problems such as struts, tires etc. I am glad I have an 05' because 70k miles and not one problem. I just did the brakes(Could have let them go longer) and the tires still are going strong(only replacing them because I drive x country in the winter) With proper maintainence my car will last a long time. I wouldn't abandon Nissan just yet.
Struts and tires doesn't seem like plagued, your car can be as good as you treat it. My 04 has been fairly trouble free for amost 4 years now!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cyclopsmd
My 04 SE is at 70k and have only done routine maintenance (new tires, oil change, etc). No problems here. Best car I have ever owned....
I agree. I'm at 66 K miles (in 4.5 years) and have only replaced the RSAs (cracks in side walls -- went with Michelins) and done oil changes, one tranny fluid change and other maintenance items. Based on other posts on this site, I keep expecting the front struts to go, but they keep performing properly. I need to change the fuel filter and the cabin filter, both of which I will do by next spring.

I don't have the shifting complaints of Auto-Trannie owners. I can shift my 6-speed as hard or as softly as I choose.

The only complaint I have is that the rear wheels don't want to stay alligned. I was getting an allignment once a year (June), but will likely go to twice a year -- given the cost of replacement tires.

As for the high mileage on some 04s -- I like driving my Max on the highway and take it rather than the airplane to both Chicago and SC. Flying is no longer fun, but driving my Max still is !

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 11-02-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM

04 Maxima SE

Bought used at 64K. Now 72K.

I have one problem/concern.

On cold days when I start the car the radio says its on, but there's no sound (regardless of volume level :P). When I turn it off, it says the CD player is on - again no sound.

Turning that off and then on again solves the problem.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've called Nissan but they keep giving me the run around. I have a 160K platinum plus warranty that says it covers just about everything (except wear and tear).
Old 11-04-2007, 09:20 AM

04 se 6mt here bought with 64k miles..now have 87k..just had to replace rsa's (free) changed over to synthetic oil..one tranny fluid change to synthetic..only gripes i have is the bose radio cutting out and cd changer acting weird not wanting to read discs in slots 4 5 and 6 and wear on the steering wheel and handbrake leather. other than that..great car.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by aalbatis
On cold days when I start the car the radio says its on, but there's no sound (regardless of volume level :P). When I turn it off, it says the CD player is on - again no sound..
Not in my 04 with 66 K miles. I have never had a problem with the radio not working. On really cold days (like below Zero F), the CD player usually will not work until it warms up (from the heater being on). Because I normally park in my garage where the temperature never gets below 32 degrees F, I rarely have this CD-play problem. It only occurs when I have to park outside overnight and the temp falls to near zero.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 AM
NINE-time Maxima Owner

Considering that I just picked up Maxima #7 this past weekend (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....73#post6045073), I certainly wouldn't be one to agree that there are issues that are endemic to Nissan or Maximas. I have lots of accumulated miles on 2nd, 4th, 5th & 6th gen Maximas and have changed one starter and one evaporator coil (and that was caused by an accumulation of leaves and gunk around the coil). That's it.

I'm not saying your car doesn't have issues or that you shouldn't be upset about them, but it is not the typical Maxima experience.

Last edited by jcalabria; 11-05-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 AM

04 Maxima SE, 65,000 miles...... Continued...... Some more problems ive just recently been noticing;

#6) a very high pitch rattle from the front of the dashboard near the defrost vents. Sounds like a Bee almost, but obviosly not. Something is loose.

#7) Stock infotainment center, no navigation, when driving i begin to get engine feedback in the radio, not all the time, just sometimes. Typically when the radio volume is very low the bleeping is always louder than the music, almost sounds like very fast morse-code.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM

6) The only sound I get from that area of my Max is the sound of running water because there is some air in the cooling system, and at times you can hear the water running inside the heater behind the dash.

7) I hear the engine firing when I'm tuned to a very weak AM radio station. On stronger AM stations and on all of FM, this very slight noise is either overpowered or not there.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM

On cold days when I start the car the radio says its on, but there's no sound (regardless of volume level :P). When I turn it off, it says the CD player is on - again no sound.

Any thoughts?
No better reason for a Pioneer Avic D3 Upgrade
Old 11-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've always wondered what that running water sound was when I started my car. I have it too only on startup and usually when I'm pulling out of my driveway.

The only problem I have now with mine is I hear a high pitched squealing noise from 70kmh to 110kmh sounds like the right front tire. No noises below or above those speeds, turning the wheels at those speeds does nothing to the sound. Someone mentioned it might be time for new brakes..or I'm thinkin wheel bearing. Any thoughts?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lealdade
The only problem I have now with mine is I hear a high pitched squealing noise from 70kmh to 110kmh sounds like the right front tire. No noises below or above those speeds, turning the wheels at those speeds does nothing to the sound. Someone mentioned it might be time for new brakes..or I'm thinkin wheel bearing. Any thoughts?
For those of us in the US who don't think in terms of kmh (kilometers per hour), the speeds you cite are between about 45 and 70 MPH.

The first thing I would try is rotating the tires. Put the front on the back and the back on the front -- keeping the tires on the same side of the car they are now running. If this sound is coming from the right front tire, you will now hear it at the right rear.

You don't say how many miles (km) you have on your Max. If you are below about 100 K miles (about 155 K km), it would be very unusual (but not impossible) for the wheel bearing to be failing. I doubt if the sound comes from your brakes. Good luck finding the problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
For those of us in the US who don't think in terms of kmh (kilometers per hour), the speeds you cite are between about 45 and 70 MPH.

The first thing I would try is rotating the tires. Put the front on the back and the back on the front -- keeping the tires on the same side of the car they are now running. If this sound is coming from the right front tire, you will now hear it at the right rear.

You don't say how many miles (km) you have on your Max. If you are below about 100 K miles (about 155 K km), it would be very unusual (but not impossible) for the wheel bearing to be failing. I doubt if the sound comes from your brakes. Good luck finding the problem.
I have 53000 miles on it. The tires have been rotated. It's very high pitched, nothing I don't think a tire could produce. I know I have an aftermarket grill and I recently nudged a curb and ripped the plastic engine compartment guard underneath the car. I wonder if its an aerodynamics thing where the wind is causing some sort of whistling or the bearing but I've had bad bearings before and usually its gradual noise.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:34 PM

I have 53000 miles on it. . . but I've had bad bearings before and usually its gradual noise.
Every time I've had a wheel bearing failure, it has been gradual, with a much lower-pitched sound resulting from the failure. But I believe it is possible for a wheel bearing to fail with a higher pitched sound.

You have a number of possible issues that you'll just have to eliminate one at a time.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:03 PM

I've always wondered what that running water sound was when I started my car. I have it too only on startup and usually when I'm pulling out of my driveway.

Running water is from air in your coolant system. Park the car on a hill, run it, top off the reservoir, repeat.

Joshua
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

04 Maxima SE

Bought used at 64K. Now 72K.

I have one problem/concern.

Any thoughts?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I've called Nissan but they keep giving me the run around. I have a 160K platinum plus warranty that says it covers just about everything (except wear and tear).
its the amp, it kicks in when its warm. I had it replaced for that exact reason.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:29 PM

60,000 on minds no probs
yet!
Old 11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Incognito

ya my bose cuts in and out when its cold. ****ty amps. gonna gut it out and replace it all ... should of bought a non bose
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM

My mom has a 2004 maxima...lots of problems with it from the factory

IE loose spoiler, alarm has a mind of its own, eats brake pads etc...
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSpeed
No better reason for a Pioneer Avic D3 Upgrade
lol... something to think about
Old 11-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
its the amp, it kicks in when its warm. I had it replaced for that exact reason.
Thanks dude!
I'll look into that!

did you replace it with an OEM amp?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 PM

my only problems have been rattling back dash (easily fixed) and the dome lite switch broke...

Quick Reply: 04 Maxima SE problems ive had