6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

general question regarding instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM

general question regarding instrument cluster

is it true that there is a built in additional speedometer on the axles of a nissan that records mileage just like the speedometer gauge in the instrument cluster.
a friend of mine told me that dont know if that true or not. didnt find such info on the web about the nissans.
please confirm...

reason behind is that my temp gauge always stays on cold and i need to replace the speedometer, i did find in at the local junk yards but that one has 2000 more miles as compared to what i have.
it really doesnt bother me but would i get in trouble by doing that.?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 PM
*moderator*

It a federal offense to tamper with the mileage. I think you can get a written document from the dealer or a mechanic as long as you disclose this info there shouldn't be a problem. It may be something else than the cluster, possibly it is stuck. Have you taken it apart to look at it?

And yes the mileage is recorded elsewhere but only a certified Nissan tech that works for Nissan USA corp. can access it, the dealer can't even get this info. I was told this by my mechanic who is a certifed Nissan tech.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 PM

ok.....then what does the "event data recorders" track?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:32 AM
Learning English...

Originally Posted by maximaaa04
ok.....then what does the "event data recorders" track?
ECU?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by brio_max
ECU?
not the ECU...my wifes pathfinder has a unit called event data recorders, they introduced that in the 06 + models....
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Love my '09

EDR:

Originally designed to improve air bag performance based on the severity of the collision, the event data recorder can tell traffic accident investigators about the car's speed, engine RPMs, how far the accelerator pedal was pressed, if the brakes were applied, whether the driver’s seatbelt was buckled and what warning lights were on - all from about five seconds before impact.

When an an air bag deployment collision accident occurs, the data is recorded onto a computer chip. The data can be retrieved and is presented in a report.

The data download from the EDR will usually contain 6 to 8 pages of information. A second impact can be recorded in the secondary, or non-deployment, file depending upon the circumstances of the collisions and the time interval between them.

More info: http://www.unknownnews.org/0502080205blackbox.html
Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

According to this list

http://www.harristechnical.com/downloads/cdrlist.pdf

Nissan doesn't have CDR (Crash Data Recorders) installed on their cars. Is the ODO info recorded somwehere else.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Love my '09

According to IIHS, they don't but it's scary that the info CAN be used against you and the Insurance agencies can possibly get this info to "adjust" your rates. You all know what THAT means, eh?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:58 PM

according to the Pathfinder's manual it says it does have a EDR...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib...Pathfinder.pdf

Page: 9-26
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

its funny thou that the insurance will look at anything to jack your insurance up

points on license
mileage driven to high
area of high # of accidents
area of high # of vandalism
used to drive to and from work
its red or black
male
single
under 25 blah blah blah and the insurance is up high.

Funny that when none of these apply the insurance is still high. I mean you ever heard of anybody who was told that we'll give you discount because you live in safe area are married over 25, low mileage blah blah blah, NO

I mean there are like million things that could make your insurance go up and only about 5 that will give you some miserable discount.

You live in Brooklyn, Period

If you are the latter you pay an arm and a leg
If you are the in the first bunch, an arm and a leg or two and might as well file one of the chapters.

sorry for my rant.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:44 PM

True it could be used against you are it could be used to back up your story. For example, someone lying about the incident and EDR states a different story.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:06 AM

xoomer - Yep, insurance can be a drag when you are young.

But just hang in there; it does get better. I get discounts for safe driving (no tickets, no accidents), for multiple vehicles insured with them, for having my homeowner's policy and my umbrella policy with them, for not using my vehicle to commute to work, etc, etc.

But when it comes to insurance, being young (and/or living in New York) can be very tough.