6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help with Brakes!! and Alignment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 PM

Help with Brakes!! and Alignment!!!

I've had 3 different rotors and brake sets on the car --> OEM with Oem pads -- Rotorpros drilled and slotted with Redstuff pads <--- mistake --and-- RTP blanks with Hawk HPS pads.

Now my issue is this. With all three sets of rotors and pads, I'm getting shimmy feedback through the wheel when stopping at high speeds. This isn't the wheel shimmy that is experienced while moving, but the wheel shimmy that would signify that my rotors need to be cut. I'm not abusing the brakes and with the last two sets, Rotorpros w/redstuff and the RTP w/ the Hawks, I was very careful during break-in.

I'm starting to believe that whatever the shimmy issue a lot of people here are experiencing has something to do with the braking system and/or the connection of the rotors to the hub.

Is it possible that there is something uneven that is going on between the rotor, the hub and the axle that is causing this? <-- the shimmy? I've removed the piece underneath my bumper and the (normal) shimmy just got worse. I've had my OEM rotors cut and the high speed braking wheel vibration is still there.

I'm about to get these RTP's cut but if someone with some technical expertise can give some insight into this it would be greatly appreciated. Nissan service hasn't been the best for any of us at diagnosing these vibrations and I can't necessarily say it's to any fault of their own but if you're not going to fix it, at least treat me well which most of them haven't been able to do.

Needless to say, I have my wheels road-force balanced and the (normal) shimmy goes away temporarily but comes right back. Even when that shimmy is fixed you can kind of feel the wheel wanting to shake but the fresh balance seems to hold it back.

Also, whenever Nissan techs do an alignment on my vehicle, they throw off the rear alignment and mis-align my steering wheel in additon to the car hopping all over the dizzam place when I hit bumps. Has anyone else experienced this? In order to get it fixed I end up having to bring it to Mavis and have them redo it in order to get the car to stay planted. I've had 6 repeat alignments by Nissan service where they were still unable to correct the wheel being straight or the rear end hopping issue.

Just looking for some input!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hawk HP+
Old 02-10-2008, 03:23 AM
GrandPa

I don't know if you live on LI or SI. There is a place on 26th Ave and 86th Street in Brooklyn where I go that maybe can help you out. I try to stay away from Nissan shops. I have the Rotorpros and Hawks and have had no problems with them and I do alot of long distance driving.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 AM
MAXIN' ON

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....mmy+2004+front
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Good post. Nissan really needs to own up to this though. It's been too long and people in newer models also experience this. I guess if the 'shimmy' made wheels fly off or tires crack it would be addressed.