6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

***Tightening the Steering Rack???***

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:56 PM

***Tightening the Steering Rack???***

In my search for shimmy related threads I see very little on how much "tightening the steering rack" can help alleviate shimmy. Since I've just upgraded my 05 SL's stock wheels from 17" to 18" with 245/45 I'm wonder if I should just go ahead and tighten up the steering rack a 1/4" as instructed in the TSB to dampen the feel of road imperfections? Is this something I can do myself? I'm a second owner of this car and out of warranty so Nissan won't cover it. Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:53 AM

I think tightening the steering rack should also to some extent get rid of the wandering/tramlining problem which many orgers have complained of. Isn't it?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:51 PM

dont you mean "adjust" the rack?...and i dont see how it will affect the feel of the road from the rims. its all in the tires and suspension not the rack and tie rods
Old 07-08-2008, 04:01 PM

I spent a great deal today observing how my car behaved on the road. Shimmy was no where to be found when I was driving. Then I would hit the tie mark (seam) where two different paving jobs met up at and the variation in pavement height would shock my front end causing a temporary shimmy that eventually leveled out.

It's one of those situations where you have to drive the car to know what I mean. I'll be getting an alignment tomorrow since the car is slightly pulling to the right and have the steering rack "adjusted" at the dealership. I'll report back with what happens.

Maybe I'm making a big deal out of this and it's really nothing to major. I just freak out when my max isn't in prestine working condition. I was this way with my other two as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
dont you mean "adjust" the rack?...and i dont see how it will affect the feel of the road from the rims. its all in the tires and suspension not the rack and tie rods
A shimmy is a back and forth movement, not a vibration. My understanding is that in most cases tightening (adjusting) keeps the steering from being loose, ie shimmy. Yes wheels and tires do play a part.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM

My car rides smooth with new rims most of the time so I would rule out a bad rim or tire. If one of those were at fault it would be a constant shimmy not one brought on by road changes shocking the front end and then start to shimmy and then fade back to smooth again.

I really don't want to start another "shimmy" debate thread. Half the database that runs this site is threads about shimmies. I've gone through the first part of trouble shooting this, rotors, wheels and tires are true. On to the steering rack. Again, thanks for the input guys!

Last edited by KC2010; 07-08-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM

shimmy TSB

I am in the same situation as you are. I changed my tires to yokohama advan s4 from the oem tires. The car did not have any shimmy before the tire change and then started to shimmy and vibrate all over the place. Got the rims checked and they were ok. Tires were brand new, so I am assuming they were round. Got roadforce balanced x 1 time. Shimmy resolved up to 50%. Then changed my rotors from oem to rotorpros with ebc. Shimmy came back with a vengeance. Got road force again, shimmy went down by 25% this time. Took a copy of the TSB on shimmy to the dealer, they said they would charge me 275 for the TSB. They would not guarantee a fix for the shimmy. I did not get it done. Car still shimmies mostly when I step off the gas and teh car is slowing down(any ideas anyone?). Also I need to change my struts as the right one make the infamous clunk noise. I did not pursue the shimmy TSB further since I knew I would be dropping it on progress up front with the GR2. I will re-evaluate after he drop and the strut change. If shimmy persists I will think about the TSB. BTW how did you test the rotors for "trueness"?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 PM

My best friend is a mechanic and has some weird tool that checks it out. Plus when I brake hard at high speeds there's no vibration in the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by rick sambora
I am in the same situation as you are. I changed my tires to yokohama advan s4 from the oem tires. The car did not have any shimmy before the tire change and then started to shimmy and vibrate all over the place. Got the rims checked and they were ok. Tires were brand new, so I am assuming they were round. Got roadforce balanced x 1 time. Shimmy resolved up to 50%. Then changed my rotors from oem to rotorpros with ebc. Shimmy came back with a vengeance. Got road force again, shimmy went down by 25% this time. Took a copy of the TSB on shimmy to the dealer, they said they would charge me 275 for the TSB. They would not guarantee a fix for the shimmy. I did not get it done. Car still shimmies mostly when I step off the gas and teh car is slowing down(any ideas anyone?). Also I need to change my struts as the right one make the infamous clunk noise. I did not pursue the shimmy TSB further since I knew I would be dropping it on progress up front with the GR2. I will re-evaluate after he drop and the strut change. If shimmy persists I will think about the TSB. BTW how did you test the rotors for "trueness"?