6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone have problems with BOSE CD Player?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:30 PM

Anyone have problems with BOSE CD Player?

About a few months ago, my CD player started acting up on my 04. If you try to listen to a CD, you will never be able to listen to it on ALL speakers. It likes to act up and will work sometimes ONLY on the left speakers, sometimes ONLY on the right speakers. To add to that sometimes the sound is fuzzy, distorted and the volume is low (as in I have it at 24 and it sounds like 7-8). The stealership said to replace the whole unit, but I doubt that. Any hope that this can be fixed without having to replace the whole unit?

Also, my stock bose subwoofers have blown. Does anyone know where to get replacements? Can I just swap the bose subwoofers for different ones? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:43 PM

this might be a dumb question but have you checked the audio video section
even if there isn't a thread about the problem you have the people with aftermarket stereos might sell you some "previously enjoyed" Bose speakers
Old 08-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
this might be a dumb question but have you checked the audio video section
even if there isn't a thread about the problem you have the people with aftermarket stereos might sell you some "previously enjoyed" Bose speakers
Thanks, I'm going to check that out! If anyone has had the same issue I'm having or knows what may be wrong, please post. Thank you.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Defiant this is actually very common in our cars. The drivers side will cut out or sound like trash from time to time, but it's only with CDs. Radio works fine. Mine is doing that now, I'm just saving up to do an aftermarket or something. The fix is like brain surgery, to re-solder a very tiny connection deep with the Bose HU.

I replace my subs, heres how....http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2404 I sold the stock "subs", you'll be suprised how little they are.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:24 PM

no problems here bro.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:43 PM
KC's FINEST

PM sent
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM

It sucks to have this problem. When I have people in my car, I'll only listen to the radio (and I prefer CD only). I'm guessing this isn't covered by warranty?? Also, thanks for the link. I really want to replace my bose subwoofers just like you did so there's no bulky and heavy box.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:18 PM

Yes i have this problem too..i thought it was only me lol... I have an 08 with BOSE & NAVI...ill turn the car on put on a CD and only one set (left or right) speakers will be working.. I then have to toggle the settings (L & R balance) to get it back to normal..
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drive a 04 Max SE w/ Bose and im having the same promblem. The driverside speakers just stop working when I play the cd. Is it better to just replace the unit or is there a way to fix it?

Last edited by dvoice; 10-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM

How about when you're about to turn off the car and you decide to turn off the bose stereo. Then when you get back in the car the LCD shows the radio stats as if the radio was on but in reality it's not?? This happened after I had my sensor realigned for my intake. *off topic I know* But this thread reminded me of this oddity.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by KC2010
How about when you're about to turn off the car and you decide to turn off the bose stereo. Then when you get back in the car the LCD shows the radio stats as if the radio was on but in reality it's not?? This happened after I had my sensor realigned for my intake. *off topic I know* But this thread reminded me of this oddity.
Mine does this occasionally but no biggy. It did start after I put my PAC ipod adapter though
Old 10-16-2008, 02:53 PM
KC's FINEST

I have an extra changer if anyone needs it...

PM me.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:12 AM

where you instreted in buying a new cd player
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM

common problem. Do as many of us have if you don't wanna change everything out, get a PAC adapter and run ur IPOD/MP3 player. Not very expensive or difficult to install. Ran me like $50.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:50 PM

no problems here
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 AM

same problem

hey this is an old topic, but i have the same problem now, anyone know where i can find the article to how to re-solder or a website that has the specific pac adapter for the 04 maxima, i found a few online but theyre like over 100, thanks a lot
Old 10-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

im having the same problem and it annoying my cd player works in every state except mine
Old 10-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think cause nyc roads suck
Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Same problem here. I'm on my 2nd Bose 6-disc unit. The first one decided that it needed my CDs more than I did, and wouldn't eject any of them. Bought another used one off of eBay and (surprise) it came with 6 free CDs inside, lol. It did eject those but it makes a maddening ticking noise anytime a disc is spinning, as if something in there is rubbing together. I also have the problem of one side occasionally cutting out. Boy does that impress people.

I'm just going to stick an aftermarket deck in there so I can plug in my iPod or a thumb drive. I can't find any definitive info on what adapters/harness I need, though. If anyone has any info on that, please post here or give me a PM. Not sure what all I will need to make sure an aftermarket HU works with the integrated Bose equipment.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My Bose Unit is acting suspect as well. When the car first starts it completely skips like crazy then when I drive faster than 65mph it stops working completely. Is there anyway to fix this without getting an adapter and using my ipod as the sound quality with the cd player is awesome. Also sometimes if I hit a bump the sound goes out on one side of the car...but this is a cd player problem because it doesn't happen on tape or radio. I have the navigation package so every Nissan dealer is telling me that its gonna cost upwards of $1000 but I just know the problem is not that serious....I could probably fix it myself if I could only get the panel off....HELP!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 PM

try getting a CD cleaner kit
Old 10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Im new to this form and its a bit off topic from the original post but i would like to know what extra wiring harnesses or adapters that are required for the installation of a pioneer AVH in dash head unit? I recently purchased a 2005 maxima with the Bose system and im want to have all the hardware needed to install the pioneer.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by navarro89
Im new to this form and its a bit off topic from the original post but i would like to know what extra wiring harnesses or adapters that are required for the installation of a pioneer AVH in dash head unit? I recently purchased a 2005 maxima with the Bose system and im want to have all the hardware needed to install the pioneer.
Wrong Forum!

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-electronics-21/
Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

05 Maxima owner
I have the bose six disc changer.
I disconnected the battery and removed the cd player unit and reinstalled it.

Now none of the cd player controls work, FM AM radio won't work.

I checked all the fuses they are fine.

Anybody have this problem or anyone know what this could be
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by scottparker
05 Maxima owner
I have the bose six disc changer.
I disconnected the battery and removed the cd player unit and reinstalled it.

Now none of the cd player controls work, FM AM radio won't work.

I checked all the fuses they are fine.

Anybody have this problem or anyone know what this could be
is it asking for a code?
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM

mine skipps whenever i hit a bump. must not have progressive scan like my older bose did.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 AM

not at all so far
mine is 06 and been loving the sound system
in my opinion we don't need aftermarket stuff when it comes to sound
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM

mine acted crazy when it was cold, but now that its getting warm, its ok.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:16 PM

my cd changer mest up and it wont switch from cd to cd......i might just buy one from ebay and upgrade the navi
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same issue on my '04...holy s**t it's annoying. I wish it would have happened during test-drive!

Are there any issues or additional parts/info that we need to know about if switching from the Bose to an aftermarket head unit? It seems to be the most inexpensive option to fix this problem.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 AM

the bose in my max sounds horrible when playing the radio
Old 06-14-2011, 08:59 PM

I haven's had any problems. I also mostly listen to my satellite radio or ipod in the car with an Isimple ipod integration system.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Defiant_Max04
About a few months ago, my CD player started acting up on my 04. If you try to listen to a CD, you will never be able to listen to it on ALL speakers. It likes to act up and will work sometimes ONLY on the left speakers, sometimes ONLY on the right speakers. To add to that sometimes the sound is fuzzy, distorted and the volume is low (as in I have it at 24 and it sounds like 7-8). The stealership said to replace the whole unit, but I doubt that. Any hope that this can be fixed without having to replace the whole unit?

Also, my stock bose subwoofers have blown. Does anyone know where to get replacements? Can I just swap the bose subwoofers for different ones? Thanks.
I fix this problem (may be temporarily) by beating the crap out of the center console...I noticed the issue would go away if I hit a bump at first, then I decided to hit it with my hand on the right hand side of the center console (at the level of the cd player). Then one day that I was pissed (because Chicagoan drivers are very, very, very rude) I just took it out on my radio, hit both sides very hard and several times...it has been 3 months and it is still playing fine

You might want to try it...what's the worst that can happen...it is techically already broken
Old 07-19-2011, 09:58 PM

My stock CD player acts up when it gets cold. I installed a direct line-in for my iPod to the SAT input on the stock BOSE head unit and the quality is amazing. The stock speakers shine with the direct line-in. It only cost me $100 and 2 hours of a Saturday afternoon.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the post. The info gathered was helpful
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok so i just read all the post and yet no one has said how to fix the problem with the bose 6 disc cd changer .....i just got a 05 maxima and yes the cd player is not working it plays but skips the cd with brunt cd any advise
Old 04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Dajoker813
ok so i just read all the post and yet no one has said how to fix the problem with the bose 6 disc cd changer .....i just got a 05 maxima and yes the cd player is not working it plays but skips the cd with brunt cd any advise
There really isn't a fix, not one the is worth doing anyway. Buy a new one the will have a USB input and enjoy.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

Its common knowlege among anyone who knows anything about audio equipment Bose is of poor quality and overpriced and only sells because of the marketing. Its garbage. The system in the Maxima is probably the best example of this, not only does it sound bad and have no bass, and distort easilly, its dosent even have a functional CD player. It broke 2x on me and I decided its garbage anyway and im not going to throw money at a defective cheapo product anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Its common knowlege among anyone who knows anything about audio equipment Bose is of poor quality and overpriced and only sells because of the marketing. Its garbage. The system in the Maxima is probably the best example of this, not only does it sound bad and have no bass, and distort easilly, its dosent even have a functional CD player. It broke 2x on me and I decided its garbage anyway and im not going to throw money at a defective cheapo product anymore.
I only halfway agree with this statement. For a factory stereo, the sound quality is pretty good. It has decent bass but it not going to have the neighbors yelling that you're knocking their pictures off the wall. I never noticed any distortion in either my 06 Max or my 03 G35 with the Bose.

My issue with my CD player was different. In the max, it wouldn't read cd's from time to time and read "disc error, please check disc". I replaced the HU with a one from amazon and have no problems with the speakers. I get some distortion now but it's at the upper range of my head unit. Eventually I'll probably replace the whole system but for now I'm fine with it.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just tap the passenger side of the radio n it comes back to normal

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems with BOSE CD Player?