6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Electrical problems... Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Electrical problems... Please help!

So I took off the instrument cluster to clean the glass/plastic pieces. There were streaks on the inside probably from the dealership. I followed the instructions in the LED interior mod in the 6th gen forum to remove it. I disconnected the neg battery cable, removed the cluster, did not unplug it because i only needed to take off the face to clean the glass. Finished, put it back together and then reconnected the neg battery post.

Heres the issue... my sunroof will not retract, it goes up and down but will not open up. My bose cd changer wont read any disks, doesnt even sound like its doing anything, just loads, ejects, and reads check disk. My steering wheel heater doesnt seem to be working.

I checked the fuses under the steering wheel and by the engine, they all look good...

Any ideas? Did i short something out? The neg post was disconnected and i didnt plug/unplug anything. What happened?
Old 08-30-2008, 06:08 PM
MAXIN' ON

Dont know about the stereo but once you disconnected the battery you have to manually run the sunroof back and forth before it goes back to auto mode.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by redls1
Dont know about the stereo but once you disconnected the battery you have to manually run the sunroof back and forth before it goes back to auto mode.

What? How do I go about doing that? Its closed right now.

update:

ok, unplugged neg post again, reconnected, checked fuses, came back 2 hours later and now sunroof and steering wheel heater work but bose cd changer still wont read disks. Also noticed when i started it up it seemed to idle high in park, at 1.25, usually at .75-1. took it around the block and it seems to idle back at .75 or so...

is it a coincidence the bose hu crapped out when all this was going on? Is there a deeper problem here?

update:

Everything works fine now. Went for a drive and I was messing with the 6 disk changer, wouldnt read anything, tried 1-6 and nothing. So I loaded all the disks and 1, 2, 3 still wouldnt work but then 4 did, so did 5 and 6. Thought it may be the cd's themselves so took em all out and put them back in a different order. They all played. Dunno what the problem was but now steering wheel heater, sunroof, and bose hu all work and rpm in park an neutral are back to normal.

Last edited by gianic1; 08-30-2008 at 10:34 PM.