6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

need help with strut question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 AM

need help with strut question

Last weekend I changed the suspension on the maxima. I went with the kyb gr2s and progress springs all the way around. after a couple days of driving I noticed that whenever I hit a bump or a slight imperfection in the road, the car feels like it shifts(hydroplanes) a bit. It is not a good feeling at all, like i have no control for that split second. So i looked at the rear of the car and bounced it up and down and noticed that both rear struts are leaking oil. Is that normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated because the wife is scared to death of driving the car now.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:24 PM

are the progress springs lowering springs? im pretty sure the kyb's are meant for stock replacement, stock ride height. lowering springs can blow em out quick
Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 AM

I haven't heard of anyone blowing out KYB's with sport springs.

BrainDfect,
I think your rear SHOCKS are out. Replace them. Shouldn't be hard at all. I know there's a walkthrough on the org somewhere. I used it to replace mine. Do a search I'm sure you'll find it. Good luck!
Kev

Originally Posted by zlyricist
are the progress springs lowering springs? im pretty sure the kyb's are meant for stock replacement, stock ride height. lowering springs can blow em out quick
Old 10-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BrainDfect
Last weekend I changed the suspension on the maxima. I went with the kyb gr2s and progress springs all the way around. after a couple days of driving I noticed that whenever I hit a bump or a slight imperfection in the road, the car feels like it shifts(hydroplanes) a bit. It is not a good feeling at all, like i have no control for that split second. So i looked at the rear of the car and bounced it up and down and noticed that both rear struts are leaking oil. Is that normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated because the wife is scared to death of driving the car now.
You have struts in the fronts and shocks in the rears.

If they are leaking they are defective...period!

Provide pics if possible. Who did the install? Has the car been aligned since then? The more feedback and pics, the more answers you'll get. In the mean time take your tire pressure down to 30 PSI to lessen the bumping. And drive careful. We will get this resolved.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by BrainDfect
Did you get an alignment after the suspension was installed? This is a common alignment issue. Exactly what your describing, whenever a bump is hit, the car sort of hops to one side. Mine always hopped to the right side and it only started happening after the Rear-Subframe recall. But they did fix it with an alignment. Not to say your rear shocks aren't shot but what you're describing sounds exactly like what my car would do when another wheel alignment was needed. Make sure they do the rears first.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 AM
SuPeRmOd

If the new rear shocks are leaking, you have a lifetime warranty with KYB.

like mentioned I sure hope you have an alignment after lowering.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the KYB GR2 and Progress all around with Progress rear sway bar. No alignment. Stiff but incredible handling. No oily shocks. That is real bad luck that both rear shocks gave up. Do you tow a trailer? Carried over 600 lbs of bricks in the trunk?