6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

BUY or PASS?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 PM

BUY or PASS?

I'm thinking of buying a 06 with 62K miles on it for $8500, black/grey cloth int. Of course its salvage for that price. I've got a carfax and the guy that owned it last worked in the body shop. So, I have a good feel for the repairs made. The car has been repaired nicely, but no leather, woodgrain, heated seats, or nav....all which I kinda wanted.

I have a Pioneer double nav to put in it, and I'm think i'm gonna get a remote start for the winter. So, I could live with it for the price. I'm so tired of looking for something that I could buy at this point, that I want to make sure that I'm not jumping for it ...just to be jumping for it! What do you folks think? Buy or pass?

Oh yeah, I'm in Northern Cal where cars are a bit more compared to where I was in the east. I'm not afraid of salvage and all that like many people, I'm just wondering about the price.

Last edited by smooth_caramel; 10-26-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:18 AM

i really dont care if its a salvage or clean title either if its fixed properly.
i think $8500 is a good price for a '06...and wat do u need leather for? it gets hot and its not that comfortable either. and navi, you can install
Old 10-26-2008, 12:24 AM

I guess I was just used to having leather since having my VW. My last car before my VW was a 97 maxima with cloth, so I know the difference pretty well. LOL, I will miss my heated seats greatly though. Also, it's easy to clean leather seats especially if I ever plan to take my overgrown baby anywhere (big dog).

good fast response, thanks!

anybody else?

Last edited by smooth_caramel; 10-26-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by smooth_caramel
I guess I was just used to having leather since having my VW. My last car before my VW was a 97 maxima with cloth, so I know the difference pretty well. LOL, I will miss my heated seats greatly though. Also, it's easy to clean leather seats especially if I ever plan to take my overgrown baby anywhere (big dog).

good fast response, thanks!

anybody else?

lol yeah know wat you mean. no problem
Old 10-26-2008, 04:13 AM
GrandPa

Before you jump on this deal I would have the car checked from front to back and top to bottom. He might be a good body guy but you need to do this. Do this for peace of mind not what Carfax says. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 AM

If it checks out ok, buy it, add the leather, woodgrain and get a portable nav.

That is an excellent price if the car was repaired properly.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:35 AM

yeah man as long as you have it checked out by a reputable shop you should be fine. if you tell him it was in an accident im sure he will be more then thorough with it when he certifies it, because his name will be on the line. i wanted a max with nav but i didn't get it so i bought a used one from some kid and it works mint. $100 instead of a $2000 upgrade is a pretty good saving for something that litterally does the exact same thing but with a touch screen instead of buttons, you cant go wrong. insurance comapnies write off cars for less damage today then before so if it was repairable, unless it was something like a flood/drove into a lake. im sure it wasnt that bad? did you ask him what kind of damage was done?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:36 AM
KC's FINEST

Can you afford it?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 AM

I would suggest getting it checked also. If everything checks out; BUY IT!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
yeah man as long as you have it checked out by a reputable shop you should be fine. if you tell him it was in an accident im sure he will be more then thorough with it when he certifies it, because his name will be on the line. i wanted a max with nav but i didn't get it so i bought a used one from some kid and it works mint. $100 instead of a $2000 upgrade is a pretty good saving for something that litterally does the exact same thing but with a touch screen instead of buttons, you cant go wrong. insurance comapnies write off cars for less damage today then before so if it was repairable, unless it was something like a flood/drove into a lake. im sure it wasnt that bad? did you ask him what kind of damage was done?
No, no floods or anything like that. It had a front end collision where the airbag deployed. So, a right front fender, headlight, grill, airbag replaced. I looked at the mounts and frame everything underneath and around the front as best as I could and didn't see any frame damage. I could barely tell that work had been done to it all, except for a few missing insignificant screws. Same hood and front wheels, no wobbles, no shakes, no shimmys, and it drives straight. I was planning to get the airbag installation checked when I took it to the body shop to get some upgrades done. But of course that would be after I bought it. That's the only thing I was gonna check.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind that I take it to a different body shop before I hand over the money, probably on my dime though. Time is the issue for me though because, I get off late and most body shops around here are closed on the weekend. I guess I could have him drop it off somewhere. Other buyers are also chomping at the bit too. So, I don't wanna delay too long.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by hondadude
If it checks out ok, buy it, add the leather, woodgrain and get a portable nav.

That is an excellent price if the car was repaired properly.

Where would I find the seats? You know of anybody that had done this upgrade? Have any idea about how much a set would run?
Old 10-26-2008, 10:51 AM
KC's FINEST

Where would I find the seats? You know of anybody that had done this upgrade? Have any idea about how much a set would run?
Pull the fabric covers and throw on some leather ones...

Google FTW?!
Old 10-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Can you afford it?

why would you ask that???
Old 10-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Pull the fabric covers and throw on some leather ones...

Google FTW?!
Well, I was looking a reply that was actually helpful...involving something a bit more OEM than some google junk. Yes, I checked ebay.

Thanks for the comment though
Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 PM

How about www.katzkin.com?

IMO, better than OEM by far.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Well, I was looking a reply that was actually helpful...involving something a bit more OEM than some google junk. Yes, I checked ebay.

Thanks for the comment though
www.katzkin.com and www.leatherseats.com are 2 of the bigger more reputable companies. The dealer themselves use these companies to add leather to cars that didn't originally come with leather interiors. You can make it 2-tone add pipping and even heaters if you want and its not that expensive. BTW if you googled this these probably be the 2 companies that came up the most and many ebay sellers sell these kits at a discount, also look at group buys to save a few dollars.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM

I also used classicsofttrim on an accord a few years back and was very happy with that as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:21 PM

see this could be great or horrible. get it checked out like my pops ramberg said as long everything is good. i had purchased a salvage had it inspected best car ever had! but if its not done right then you;ll have more problems . but just remember first about resale value if you plan on selling it sooon. but if you plan to keep it you'l b alright!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Newbie just Registered

So you won't be buying the car from the guy who fixed it? Do you know why it was salvaged? I'd keep looking.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:16 PM

Yes, I know why it was salvaged. and yes, getting it from the guy that fixed it.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Well i would say to hurry on up and purchase it because it looks like the good things out weighs the bad things about the car by a whole lot. I would have it double checked by someone else that i trust and once ok'd i'll buy it. It's a very,very good price, good luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM

My banks was closed on Sunday, so I tried to get up with him yesterday....

His "partner" sold it!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Id buy it if properly fixed go for it,