6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Shift Shock 1st-2nd

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Shift Shock 1st-2nd

Took my max to the dealer the other day for the second time to find out why i kept getting shift shock from 1st to 2nd. The 1st time they found out the valve body needed to be replaced which was still under my factory warranty, but now 2k miles later and factory warranty expired, its back.

Naturally they test drove it and found nothing adnormal, so i took the tech(who was the only one at the dealership qualified to work on the GTR) with me for a ride and FINALLY got him to "feel what i feel" Which was really noticeable driving uphill or accelerating from a stop. He said he will call me next week after he talks with his director and try a new TCM and push for it to be covered by Nissan.

He was "surprised" when i told him about how a lot of us with the 04 4spd tranny eventually needed a replacement, but he just told me all nissan will have them do is drain the fluid and look for metal shavings, no shavings it will be really hard to get a replacement.

Anyone have similar issues getting a replacement tranny? I just want to get this one replaced so i can do my mods.... Any suggestions?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by studious04maxima
Took my max to the dealer the other day for the second time to find out why i kept getting shift shock from 1st to 2nd. The 1st time they found out the valve body needed to be replaced which was still under my factory warranty, but now 2k miles later and factory warranty expired, its back.

Naturally they test drove it and found nothing adnormal, so i took the tech(who was the only one at the dealership qualified to work on the GTR) with me for a ride and FINALLY got him to "feel what i feel" Which was really noticeable driving uphill or accelerating from a stop. He said he will call me next week after he talks with his director and try a new TCM and push for it to be covered by Nissan.

He was "surprised" when i told him about how a lot of us with the 04 4spd tranny eventually needed a replacement, but he just told me all nissan will have them do is drain the fluid and look for metal shavings, no shavings it will be really hard to get a replacement.

Anyone have similar issues getting a replacement tranny? I just want to get this one replaced so i can do my mods.... Any suggestions?
UPDATE

I finally got my car back to the dealer(weather) where they did some more "test" and found out that the transmission has failed. Now the dealership is trying to get Nissan to do a "Good Faith Repair"

My car has been at the dealer for the last week and a half, waiting for a response from nissan to cover the cost.

I already have a claim # but just don't know what else to do.... Anyone else have to go through this process just to get your tranny replaced?
Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM

"Goodwill" Repair.

Just wait it out man, they'll take care of it.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:00 PM

UPDATE:

just got the max back from the stealership today, the service department was closed when i got there so i figured just go easy on the "new" transmission for the first 1000 miles. Everything seemed fine for 100 miles or so until i was driving from a stop light and BAM from 1st to 2nd hard shift.....

Before I call to ***** and complain i'll see if it happens again.... What else can it be? I'm starting to think they didn't even replace my tranny..... will keep you guys updated...
Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM

My car does that every now and then but most the time it doesn't.. there doesn't seems to be a particular situation that makes it happen either.

could be easy driving or gas to the floor, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesnt.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:15 PM

Well I don't know the exact reason why it does this but i do know the TCM does adapt to your driving habits and increases line pressure according to its learning of how hard you drive it. This is why the TCM needs reinitialization after transmission replacement if your reusing the TCM. The TCM tries to protect the tranny from damage by increasing pressure/shift shock between shifts to decrease sliping. However if your pretty easy on the tranny then maybe the TCM needs to be reinitialized or replaced.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if you got a defective replacement tranny. Mine only lasted 50 miles and it was determine that it failed...so I'm on my 3rd (5-spd) and its going strong..100 miles later..