6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

upgrading basic factory audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:17 AM

upgrading basic factory audio

I have an 08 Maxima with the basic sound system (no navigation). I would like to add navigation. I know most of you will suggest that I should get aftermarket, but I would like for the unit to:
- work with the steering wheel controls
- incorporate the trip computer, outside temp, etc
- the climate display is incorporated into the current radio display, needs to be displayed somewhere
- look good; I have added aftermarket to other cars and have never been pleased with the look of the dash kit.
- my owners manual indicates several non-audio type things such as sensitivity of auto-headlamps are customized via the nav system (a level of customization not available without the nav)

I found a used one for a good price but now I wonder will it accomplish all of the above? That is, will the existing wiring harness plug right into the nav unit? Would the existing wiring harness already include extra wires for the things my basic unit does not control (the customizations I failed to summarize above <grin> - sorry I cant remember off-hand)?

Oh, also, I have not seen the nav system installed - is the dash opening the same as for my basic audio or would I need to get a dash insert (hopefully an OEM one maybe from the same person selling the unit).

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited by marcrobson; 02-27-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have the exact same question. The only difference is that my Max is an '07 SE instead of an '08.

I have seen a few used factory nav systems sell for less than $1000 and I am wondering if there are any other components needed other than:
- screen
- headunit
- dvd player
- gps antenna
- new dash piece with all controls

My main two questions are:
1. Is there any software differences to the car that would need to be changed to allow me to control the steering wheel, auto light sensitivity, etc?

2. Is my current factory XM unit separate from the current bose unit, and will it plug directly into the navigation unit?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM

Per the FSM the harness for non-bose/bose/navi are totally different. It would not be a plug-n-play installation. You could adapt the harness to fit your needs. Add, the av switch, display control unit, bose amp(if you don't already have bose), and missing wiring into the CAN system, and unified meter/AC amp. No guarantee that the existing CAN, unified meter/AC amp, BCU or any other piece of equipment in the car are the same either. Personally, for me, its too much involved to achieve factory nav and being able to adjust the headlight timer and view tire pressures, and what-not.

With the correct modules you can retain all current options and have a near plug-n-play installation with an aftermarket HU.

NIRD-01 will retain the drivers information display. Installation is plug and play. Includes all connections needed for installing a nav receiver, including, VSS, reverse, and parking brake signals.

SWI-jack/ps/ecl2(which one depends on the brand HU you choose) will retain the steering wheels controls. Installation is not very difficult, involves taping into factory harness using resistors. Programming is tedious, you can program the steering wheel controls to do what ever you want on the aftermarket HU.

End result of my aftermarket HU installation. Looks about as close to a factory installation as it gets without it being factory.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 AM

Does the NIRD-01 retain use of the steering wheel bluetooth controls for voice dialing and answering/hanging up the phone?

Do you know if there is any way to modify the headlight sensitivity and assisted entry/exit (I want to keep the steering wheel movement, but stop the seat from sliding back) settings without Nav?

Is that just a standard Metra or Scosche dash kit?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:35 AM

The NIRD-01 claims to retain bluetooth functionality but i cant vouch for it because my car didn't come with bluetooth. The PAC-SWI adapter retains the steering wheel controls.

No assisted entry on my car either so i dunno. If you want to change the time the headlights stay on after the car is shut off, pay a visit to your local dealership and have them change it with their consult tool.

The dash kit is a scosche kit. Comes with the trim ring and new mounts for the radio, airbag module, drivers information and AC displays.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the exact same question as the OP...
I have an 05 SL.

Can you give me a breakdown of what you had to do?

I'm not highly technical, but I've installed speakers and head units with instructions from Crutchfield before. This seems more advanced than that.

Mainly, mine doesn't have an aux input, no bluetooth, and no GPS. I was hoping a third party unit would give me those features. But the screen is used for more than just that, it's also used for the AC, Trip, Settings, etc.

Let me know what's involved!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Here is my set up. The pictures arent that good but it looks pretty good. My Bose actually sound a lot better with the new head unit. I kinda had to get used to it tho.

[IMG=http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/2813/20100306005309.th.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG=http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/7726/20100306005231.th.jpg][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So are your audio buttons up top just dead? I'd assume they are (that and you'd be removing the CD changer and cassette).

A double DIN unit?
Crutchfield only says single DIN will fit, their new dash peice is single DIN as well. Where'd you get a double DIN dash kit?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM

NICE, I need to get rid of my wack OEM Bose...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by TexUs
So are your audio buttons up top just dead? I'd assume they are (that and you'd be removing the CD changer and cassette).

A double DIN unit?
Crutchfield only says single DIN will fit, their new dash peice is single DIN as well. Where'd you get a double DIN dash kit?
Ya some of them or all the buttons that have to do with the factory head unit including the ones that are on the steering wheel. not the ones that deal with your cruise control. but there is an interface you could buy for a 100 bucks and they sell it at best buy which basically connects the factory wiring to the pionner head unit and all of those buttons will be usable again. thats an option tho if you want spend that extra money.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well that remote interface is $35 when you buy it with a head unit from Crutchfield. They're kindof high on head units, but they do give you all the installation stuff for free, and the step by step installation instructions.

BUT Crutchfield only says single DIN fits. That's why I was wondering where you got your double DIN kit? Did you have to specially modify it or something?
Single DIN just limits me to like the Clarion NZ500 (Single DIN with motorized screen).
Old 05-30-2010, 02:15 PM

Cool setup would love to do the same one day...
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by TexUs
Well that remote interface is $35 when you buy it with a head unit from Crutchfield. They're kindof high on head units, but they do give you all the installation stuff for free, and the step by step installation instructions.

BUT Crutchfield only says single DIN fits. That's why I was wondering where you got your double DIN kit? Did you have to specially modify it or something?
Single DIN just limits me to like the Clarion NZ500 (Single DIN with motorized screen).
no need to modify anything brah. they sell the double din's on amazon for 30 bucks. search it
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 PM

good to know. Been thinking about this recently