6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Transmission Slip And Odd Shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM

Transmission Slip And Odd Shift

so i have to follow one of the guys i work with the other day to drop off a vehicle for a customer and pick him up. so i pull out of the parking lot onto the highway and start to follow him. after a few seconds i notice the rpm is sitting at about 3200 and not eh usual 2200 - 2500. so i make sure i didn't accidentally put it in 3rd gear in stead of 4th / Drive, and its already in drive. so i pop it in 3rd and back to 4th and its stays in 3rd. so i follow him a bit more to pick him up and as im almost there it drops into 4th. did it again this morning on my way to work but only hung in 3rd for a few seconds and dropped into 4th. as im driving home tonight i decide if the trans is gonna die out i might as well put it to the rug and see if its going to shift hard/bang/slip. so im out on the high way with no one around so i slow down to a little under the speed limit and give it some gas and its shifts smooth and crisp with no bangs or hard shifts. as i pull up to the red near my house i do the same thing again but from teh stop and the slip light comes on like the tires are spinning but i dont hear and tire squeel. and the rpms are moving around a bit. i just did the full synthetic fluid change and filter at 80,000 kms and im at 92000 now. i have already assumed the trans is on the fritz but i want some other opinions because i havent been able to find any posts about an odd 3/4 shift only banging/harsh shifting/completley dead. im wondering if not using Kmatic fluid might have killed it, but i think i did some checking and the the synthetic was approved for it.

oh i almost forgot. i have a 2004 with a 4 speed.

how much are you guys paying for a trans before labour, since i will be doing the install myself.

whats the price for new V.S. used?

the only other thing im wondering is if the cold weather making the fluid a bit more thick is causing it to not flow properly through the valve body on the bottom of the trans. i know its a bit out in left field but im just throwing it out there. i mean i can take apart a manual trans and put it back together but i have no idea how an automatic works inside.

Last edited by Shoey1; 03-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine was under warranty but I think the total cost was around $3200
Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM

im looking for a price on a new trans and and a used. i work in a well equipped 5 bay shop so i can do the install myself. apparently the book time for swapping the trans without parts transfer is 5.7 hours.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shoey1
im looking for a price on a new trans and and a used. i work in a well equipped 5 bay shop so i can do the install myself. apparently the book time for swapping the trans without parts transfer is 5.7 hours.

very hard to find a NEW tranny anywhere, Nissan doesnt even replace yours with a "New" one..
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Damn Shoey, i hope it's just the oil that's causing it and not the actual tranny goin dude... I'm planning on doing a tranny pressure flush and fill with the Nissan Matic D oil for the 4 speed's. The 5speeds use the K Matic oil. you might wanna try doing a drain and fill with the correct nissan tranny oil and see what happens.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
very hard to find a NEW tranny anywhere, Nissan doesnt even replace yours with a "New" one..
word. after i had my utec tuned i was beating the **** outta my car. a week later my tranny died. when i pushed gas it was not moving as if on neutral. i still had warranty on my car but dealership didnt want to replace because of the mods. i had to go through a friend of a friend kinda thing and had to pay the manager off hehe, they replaced my transmission and it died again a week later. def wasnt a new tranny. i put the utec back to stock settings and drove like a grandma for 1k miles but its been golden since!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM

so i still have the question. whats a used trans worth just in the parts?
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 PM

well i booked my car into the transmission shop for Monday so they can see whats going on. the car has been acting normal ever since i made this thread though.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM

so i have to follow one of the guys i work with the other day to drop off a vehicle for a customer and pick him up. so i pull out of the parking lot onto the highway and start to follow him. after a few seconds i notice the rpm is sitting at about 3200 and not eh usual 2200 - 2500. so i make sure i didn't accidentally put it in 3rd gear in stead of 4th / Drive, and its already in drive. so i pop it in 3rd and back to 4th and its stays in 3rd. so i follow him a bit more to pick him up and as im almost there it drops into 4th. did it again this morning on my way to work but only hung in 3rd for a few seconds and dropped into 4th. as im driving home tonight i decide if the trans is gonna die out i might as well put it to the rug and see if its going to shift hard/bang/slip. so im out on the high way with no one around so i slow down to a little under the speed limit and give it some gas and its shifts smooth and crisp with no bangs or hard shifts. as i pull up to the red near my house i do the same thing again but from teh stop and the slip light comes on like the tires are spinning but i dont hear and tire squeel. and the rpms are moving around a bit. i just did the full synthetic fluid change and filter at 80,000 kms and im at 92000 now. i have already assumed the trans is on the fritz but i want some other opinions because i havent been able to find any posts about an odd 3/4 shift only banging/harsh shifting/completley dead. im wondering if not using Kmatic fluid might have killed it, but i think i did some checking and the the synthetic was approved for it.

oh i almost forgot. i have a 2004 with a 4 speed.

how much are you guys paying for a trans before labour, since i will be doing the install myself.

whats the price for new V.S. used?

the only other thing im wondering is if the cold weather making the fluid a bit more thick is causing it to not flow properly through the valve body on the bottom of the trans. i know its a bit out in left field but im just throwing it out there. i mean i can take apart a manual trans and put it back together but i have no idea how an automatic works inside.
Hey, maxman7 here. I was wondering if you use your slapshift more or your drive gear? I know these cars are made to let Ya choose but I cant help to wonder if this is good or bad. That slapshift gives Ya more control, but it also gives Ya a way to create more wear and tear. My 04 has 220,000 k and has never had any tranny problems, I,m afraid to grab that thing and beat on my tranny. It is almost like turning Your computer off to the tranny, as more than likely Your telling that tranny to wind a little longer than the ECM would. Yes You might beat that guy your racing, but You might beat Your tranny too. I would love to know what effects really are created by using the Auto-shift predominately. Well I hope You get it lined out without going broke, when Ya get it fixed think about what may have harmed your old tanny and correct that I,m sorry I sound as if I,m saying You done it,you tore up the tranny.As we all know cars tear up with no reason all the time,it could have been a minor detail at the factory that just now caught up to it.Anyway good luck,maxman7
Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by maxman7
Hey, maxman7 here. I was wondering if you use your slapshift more or your drive gear? I know these cars are made to let Ya choose but I cant help to wonder if this is good or bad. That slapshift gives Ya more control, but it also gives Ya a way to create more wear and tear. My 04 has 220,000 k and has never had any tranny problems, I,m afraid to grab that thing and beat on my tranny. It is almost like turning Your computer off to the tranny, as more than likely Your telling that tranny to wind a little longer than the ECM would. Yes You might beat that guy your racing, but You might beat Your tranny too. I would love to know what effects really are created by using the Auto-shift predominately. Well I hope You get it lined out without going broke, when Ya get it fixed think about what may have harmed your old tanny and correct that I,m sorry I sound as if I,m saying You done it,you tore up the tranny.As we all know cars tear up with no reason all the time,it could have been a minor detail at the factory that just now caught up to it.Anyway good luck,maxman7

4 speeds don't have "slap shift". i cant really under stand what you said but from what i gathered, you think i beat on it and now its broken? well to answer that question no i don't. they guys i work with all say i drive like and old man. no offense to Ramberg

so far the symptoms have gone away but im still dropping it off tomorrow night for them to check it over on Monday. ill leave it over night so they can check it cold, which is when it was acting up before.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 AM

4 speeds don't have "slap shift". i cant really under stand what you said but from what i gathered, you think i beat on it and now its broken? well to answer that question no i don't. they guys i work with all say i drive like and old man. no offense to Ramberg

so far the symptoms have gone away but im still dropping it off tomorrow night for them to check it over on Monday. ill leave it over night so they can check it cold, which is when it was acting up before.
So maybe you are right and since it was cold, the fluid would be thicker. Maybe the fluid isnt circulating thru the valve body and trans like it should. I would suggest anther drain and fill with the correct Nissan fluid for your tranny (i dont know which it is cuz i have a 5spd auto and use matic k) and then see what happens.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 AM

All this talk of tranny fluid I have a question? I bought my car with 32K I put 10K on it and I had Nissan change the fluid when I bought it.should I have them do it every 10K or would that be a wast?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:11 PM

since the 4 speeds are more prone to failure i personally plan on doing it every 50,000 just to be safe maybe sooner if the color changes.

also i will update tomorrow evening with the results from the tranny shop for those interested.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:02 PM

got the car back today from the tranny shop and they said all is well. no need for anything to be done. everything worked fine for them when they had it and only had a minor second gear down shift "flare", which he described as nothing to be concerned about.

so glad i don't have to have it rebuilt.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM

so what did they say about the prob you had when it wouldn't shift past 3rd?
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM

they "didn't find anything concrete" but suspect the cold and thick fluid not moving through the valve body properly
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM

they "didn't find anything concrete" but suspect the cold and thick fluid not moving through the valve body properly
so since then no weird prob?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Im starting to get worried about all these tranny problems with the Max. Ive only had my 2007 max for a year and a half with extended warranty and still dont think that is enough.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ILL-Maxima
so since then no weird prob?
nothing since then but i have been driving like an old fart so maybe i should let it stretch its legs and try it out.