6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Clutch System Feedback and Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Clutch System Feedback and Experience

I bought my Altima Ser back in November 08'...
The vehicle is an 05'...

From the moment I brought the car home off of the lot, I had my first issue with the clutch..... Sinks to floor... I brought it back and told them to drive it and it started to dissapear.. They told me it just needed to be adjusted they did that and sent me on my way..

I have had periodic episodes of sinkage, usually after long drives, sometimes in the morning upon start up, only for the thing to come back up eventually..
Every time I jump to take it to the dealer it comes back up on the way over there..

I not only autocross this car but "hit the track" as well as dragstrip.. The other night I threw on my new/used coilovers, took the car for a spin and the clutch started dropping.. Woke up the next morning, autocross weekend, the clutch was lower than usual, I really had to fight to get it in gear.. Usually if I get it in gear the clutch will resume pressure after a while.. This time nothing, after about thirty minutes it started to resume pressure, slightly... This time it did not come back all the way..

I was able to run my car, miraculously, three runs... I decided to take it home.. The next morning the clutch is still all the way to the ground.. Today I tried to bleed from the slave, a little fluid came out but still no pressure.. The reservoir is still holding fluid, the level does not drop as I try to bleed. No pressure after many attempts.. Even tried to vacuum the fluid from the reservoir through the slave and nothing.. I am at the conclusion my master is bad... I have heard several different stories about these issues... I cant believe there has not been a recall..

Its not like I can take my car to the dealer and get it fixed because I would have to fight someone to get something accomplished, and not only that I have too many mods to just switch back to stock for a job that isnt too difficult and parts that are pretty cheap..

I am going to buy a new master, I have a question about the slave though...
I figure I should just buy both and do it right. Do I have to remove the tranny to replace the slave????

Any info or feedback on the best way to do this is appreciated.. Oh and if someone just wants to vent about their frustration with these damn parts that Nissan burdened us with...
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This issue has been discussed extensively. Search for clutch problems on this forum and ull see.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM

yeah, it has extensively but believe it or not there is not enough information...

being put into this situation and having to search I experienced this problem..