6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Murphy's Law Strikes Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Murphy's Law Strikes Again!

My belt that wraps around the UDP and alternator broke and it happed in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday just after most of the garages closed. I was kinda hoping to go for a leisurely drive along the lakeshore later and downtown (Montreal) for the start of the Fireworks festival...lools like I'll have to take the wife's car as the battery will not charge if the alternator is not turning....That's just weird....never heard of a belt failure after only 3 years! And the good stuff too....
We had a bad rain storm here two days ago so I guess it could have helped cause that....

Should I trust the local Canadian Tire to replace this or wait till Monday to be seen by a proper Nissan mechanic? I suppose a belt is not that complicated...especially since I have the replacement belt. I'll have them check both belts while they're in there.

Any feed-back or help would be appreciated.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:19 PM

I don't think it's that complicated. I'd trust local Canadian Tire. There are even write ups here for DIY so I am sure they can do it.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
KC's FINEST

Just make sure Clarence is working.

He's a wiz.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Roger, Roger, check your clearance Clarance and your vector Victor! Actually KC, Canadian Tire is a huge chain of stores across Canada...kinda of hard to describe....both automotive, garden center, small appliances, sports gear including hunting and fishing, and small hardware with a paint center too. Kinda like a jack of all trades. Their automotive center is pretty well stocked however the garage side where they have several service bays has been known to screw-up in the past. Just in my area there are 4 large centers within a 15 minute drive from my house! These stores are huge and you can spend a whole day there!

Thanks Apollos2: I'll head there for 7:30 am...it's first come, first serve.....What could they possibly screw-up it's so simple....plus I have the replacement belts already with me....I always keep a spare set....you never know what could happen.

Last edited by xorbitman; 06-13-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Car was fixed A OK at Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire) and spare belt that I always keep handy in the trunk of the car. I recommend this to everyone, especially to those orgers that have UDPs installed. (Aftermarket Pulleys) Such as UR like mine. I took the car to my local dealership and they confirmed proper belt replacement was done. Also at the next oil change in one month I'm going to have them check the culprit: The tensioner is to blame: After a few years these parts that are spring loaded can wear out and even seize. The part must be cleaned or replaced. This is normal wear...and the incidence is highly unpredictable....3 years to 10 yearr! Although 4 to 5 is the norm.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
GrandPa

That's mess up. I had to have my tensioner replaced.