6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Anyone else have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Big Drew

Anyone else have this problem?

I have a brand new battery in my car and if I do not turn my car on for at least 2+ days, when I go to start it up, the battery is completely dead!

So everytime I leave my car at the airport, I back it in, because I know it is highly likely the battery will be dead when I get back. I have gotten everything checked and everything checks out fine and no one has any idea what it could be.

The most recent issue that came to my attention was that maybe because I always have my lights set to "auto". Maybe this could be the problem? I am leaving my car at the airport tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday, so I will turn the lights off instead of auto to see if this works. I have read a little bit about this, but haven't come across too many instances where this is the case online, so I thought I would pose this question to the board.

If you have any advice, or if this happens to you and you know what the problem is, please let me know! I appreciate your feedback in advance.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM

sounds liek something, somewhere is left on.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

My G35 has had that problem just recently. Lights might of stayed on after turning the car off. Didn't look at it to make sure battery died. Boosted it and double checked, sure enough lights didn't turn off again.

3rd time I checked, they did. I think the light stalk in our cars are similar (or the same). Now I just make the habit of turning my lights on when I turn on my car and off when I shut my car off.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:19 PM

The auto feature shouldnt be the culprit unless it is malfunctioning. I leave my car on auto just b/c its convenient, and it has never given me a problem. Where did you go to have your electrical system checked out? Did they check the alternator and battery?? You may want to get a 2nd opinion on those two items.
Also, if you think its the auto feature, wait til nightfall and shut the car off and stand there and see how long it takes for the lights to kill. Obviously if they stay on for a long time or never shut off then you know whats wrong.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Do you 6th gen guys have a light in the trunk? If so make sure that switch is working and the light is indeed shutting off when your trunk is closed.
What about a radar detector? Is it off when your car is turned off?
Check the other interior lights as well to make sure they are all off. Do this at night.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM

There is definitely something draining your battery. my car sits at the airport all the time and I dont have that problem... Do you have an after market alarm? Do you have remote start? I have remote start on my car and one night i started it up unknowingly. Due to it being at night and my headlights being set to auto the headlights came on... the car cut off after 10 minutes but my headlights stayed on because they are programmed to stay on until a door opens then closes( factory nissan settings). When i woke up the next morning my battery was dead. also an after maket alarm that constantly goes off can drain the battery as well...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Big Drew

I had this problem for almost a year. I had two different shops look at it and tell me they couldn't find the issue and the battery was charging up perfectly according to the tests.

I bought the battery from Walmart 15 months ago and had this issue for almost the entire life of it. This past weekend the car just wouldnt start but the battery was giving enough power to light the inside of the car. I've been told the starter is fine and the alternator is as well.

I finally went to Sears, picked up a battery and installed it and turned on instantly. What I learned from this whole process was to NEVER BUY A WALMART BATTERY!!!!!
Old 11-09-2009, 11:48 AM

DAMN a whole YEAR thats crazy. Yea i never really liked walmarts batteries. Especially since you live in a cold climate. I always use Die Hard GOLD for the EAST.
I use to live in NY then in Meriden, CT
Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM

I am willing to bet its the AUTO feature on your car. Although my Maxima has not had this problem, my G35 (which I assume is using similar wiring because the stalk is the same) had this problem this spring. The lights were left on, and I went inside the house without checking to see if the lights turned off automatically.

After I boosted it, I waited to see if they would turn off... and they didn't.

I haven't had that problem on my Maxima, however I do check it more frequent if left in the AUTO position.

I think its mostly hit and miss with those headlight stalks.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:01 PM

if you think its the AUTO feature, then something should be wrong with it... i've had my max for 23 months now and i have the AUTO feature on since day 1 and never had any battery/power issues...

i have a couple of friends with g35s but their AUTO feature work fine...
Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 PM

catchy title; i do not, however, share in your current dilemma

my apologies,

ted
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 PM

however

i used to? perhaps... i'm not real familiar with your vehicle but the bose has been known to decide it wants to stay on (for no known reason) all the time, on or off and drain your battery. it happened again in my old 96 with the security. at wal-mart they sell this little green **** thing that goes on one of the terminals and when unscrewed it disconnects the battery. we call them brockton car alarms around here. i had one, cost three whole dollars and allowed me to delay fixing the security until i wrecked it (RIP)

maybe i helped?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Big Drew

i thought that was the solution until I tried and it was still dead after a short trip. Trust me, I tried absolutely everything. Even the AAA guys were speechless, they couldn't think of anything else. Everything tested fine and yet it always died???

I believe in the end it was just a faulty battery.???
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by werdna58
I had this problem for almost a year. I had two different shops look at it and tell me they couldn't find the issue and the battery was charging up perfectly according to the tests.

I bought the battery from Walmart 15 months ago and had this issue for almost the entire life of it. This past weekend the car just wouldnt start but the battery was giving enough power to light the inside of the car. I've been told the starter is fine and the alternator is as well.

I finally went to Sears, picked up a battery and installed it and turned on instantly. What I learned from this whole process was to NEVER BUY A WALMART BATTERY!!!!!

I have had great luck with a Walmart battery, And most of them are FRESH.