6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fuel Gauge Needle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Fuel Gauge Needle Problem

I have a problem with a Fuel Gauge Needle. It is underneath the pin that it is supposted to rest on. It happened today when I was starting my car. I never had this issue before, nor I have any issues with the car. So far so good and my car does not have to visit a dealership or any mechanics at all. The car is working perfectly fine except this issue which is pretty annoying since I have no idea on how much gasoline I have in. The computer is no that accurate so I do not rely on it. Did anyone have had an issue like mine? Any ideas what could have caused that? What could I have problem(s) with? Any ideas how this could be fixed? Two pictures below demonstrate exactly the problem I have. Any comments, suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/DSC03953.jpg

Old 01-04-2010, 09:33 AM

I dunno how it got over there unless the needle was removed and not put back on right. Only way i can think of to fix it would be to take the instrument cluster apart and move the needle. Fill the gas tank up first and with the ignition on put it on "F".
Old 01-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Just go to the dealer, they'll probably replace the whole cluster for ya
Old 01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Former Sponsor

hey dodonik. i preform the full led mod that involves changing the nasty orange our car came with to a color combo of your choice. when doing the mod i have to get down to the circuit board of the guage cluster and remove the needles is a step in the process. to fix your problem take apart your cluster. just down to where you have to remove the cover face plates reinstall, then go to the gas station with the cover plates still off. fill your car up and place the needle back on " F " WITH THE CAR ON AND RUNNING. dont press the needle on tight just enough that its up there. go home disconnect and assemble the guage back together and plug into the car. you should be all set after that
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM

I really don't understand why would you change your cluster from amber to blue what happends when you get sick of blue? I just don't get that MOD
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks guys, just went to the dealer and they replaced the entire cluster. Luckilly for me it was covered under the warranty so no expense on my part, otherwise it would cost me about $600.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Today i have exacly the same problem as Dodonik on my Max04.All my warranty are over,so please anny can help me.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chalet79
Today i have exacly the same problem as Dodonik on my Max04.All my warranty are over,so please anny can help me.

I have same problem. Did you ever get a fix? mine happened after I jump started a car with cables
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

[quote=dodonik;7362855]I have a problem with a Fuel Gauge Needle. It is underneath the pin that it is supposted to rest on. It happened today when I was starting my car. I never had this issue before, nor I have any issues with the car. So far so good and my car does not have to visit a dealership or any mechanics at all. The car is working perfectly fine except this issue which is pretty annoying since I have no idea on how much gasoline I have in. The computer is no that accurate so I do not rely on it. Did anyone have had an issue like mine? Any ideas what could have caused that? What could I have problem(s) with? Any ideas how this could be fixed? Two pictures below demonstrate exactly the problem I have. Any comments, suggestions and opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/DSC03953.jpg

I have same problem. Did you ever get a fix? Mine happened after I jump started a car with cables. Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem when my batt got low. I did as suggested on another post a got two ceramic brick magnets from Lowes, stuck them together end to end, put them near the gauge with the key off and woo-lala the needle moved around counter clock wise to the stop peg. Turned the key on and everythings fine. Cheap $2.50 fix.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

also fixed mine with magnet. better than taking dash out!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The Magnet really works!!!!

Thanks dgoodwin39!!!! My gas gauge did the same thing earlier this week on my 2005 Maxima SL. Cranked it up and for some reason the needle on the gauge had gone 360 degrees clockwise and was stuck under the stop pin. I went to Lowes and bought 2 ceramic brick magnets, as you suggested, for a total of $2.92 with tax and fixed my gauge in the store parking lot in about 20 seconds! Just stuck the magnets together and used them to move the gauge back to the correct position while the car was turned off and the key was out of the ignition. Once I got the needle back to the right place I cranked up the car and it was working as it should. Man, that was awesome!!!! Thanks for posting that fix. Really worked and only cost me $3.00! I felt like Magneto on the X-MEN!!!!

Last edited by themaddog68; 08-12-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Happy Maxima Spouse

My bride of 29 years is a very detail oriented lady. My sincere thanks to gentleman who directed me to Lowes for the ceramic magnets. Worked like a charm!! (made me look pretty good too.)
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 AM
4 Maximas and counting

I have the same problem, caused when I got a jump for my bad battery.

Does anyone know the part number for the Lowe's magnet? Are we talking about the small disc magnets, stacked on top of each other?

I'm (much) closer to Home Depot than Lowe's, so I'm hoping to save myself a trip, but I'll make it to solve this issue. Real PITA.

Thanks for any links/pics to help me identify the magnet.

Originally Posted by dgoodwin39
I had the same problem when my batt got low. I did as suggested on another post a got two ceramic brick magnets from Lowes, stuck them together end to end, put them near the gauge with the key off and woo-lala the needle moved around counter clock wise to the stop peg. Turned the key on and everythings fine. Cheap $2.50 fix.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bought 4 magnets and can't get the needle past the 4 o'clock position. I get it that far and then nothing, not even a twitch in the proper direction. Any suggestions?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM

(do the magnet trick) see below

Last edited by Kryogen; 04-07-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same thing happened to me. bought two packages of this magnet set. One set wasn't strong enought, two will get it done and it takes about 30 seconds once you figure out what your doing.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_181666-37672...net&facetInfo=
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM

Just got 2 packs of magnets at home depot. cost me 7$ or so.
At first it wasnt working, I was trying to do it through the "glass" window where you look at the needle, it doesnt work.

You have to stack the magnets together and place them on the top of the console, approx centered with where the needle is, then it grabs the needle, then you move from right to left, following the top of the plastic.

Takes 5 seconds to do when you place the magnets right.

Problem fixed. I'm glad about that.

Last edited by Kryogen; 02-16-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Worked

Had to get two packs myself. The trick for me was finding the sweet spot on the left side (as opposed to tracing from right to left). Needle shot around and I look like a hero to the Mrs. Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 AM

I would like to add that when my car started doing that, my grounds were bad.

Remove your battery and check your battery to frame/transmission ground wire. Mine was broken between the frame and transmission, and allowed too much current to go through the gauge cluster and other components.

Replaced the cable with a nissan oem, and added a grounding kit. car starts much better now, and never had this issue again.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Magnet Works

For the last year and a half the fuel gauge needle on our 05 Max SE was stuck on the right, or wrong, side of the pin at the bottom of the gauge. Had two dealer estimates to repair and both were $600+change - said they had to remove the dash in order to repair the gauge.
After reading this thread I bought 6 little coin magnets plus one magnet with 50lb holding strength about 2" X 1" with a handle. After some trial and error got the needle back to where it belongs. This was accomplished by holding the coin magnets on the left side of the gauge housing and holding the 50lb magnet on the right side of the housing and sliding it over the top from right to left toward the coin magnets. It took several tries at sliding the magnet to get the needle to the top from the lower right and then once it got to the top it flopped over into the proper position. Note: ignition must be turned off. Total cost: $6 for magnets.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 PM

and check your ground cable.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel gauge needle problem

Hi all

I tried the magnet fix with no luck at all. Perhaps the type of magnet? I used a magnet from an old sub woofer.

Any ideas of how to fix this would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Gauge Needle Problem-image.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 10:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel Needle Problem

The same thing happened to my 08 Maxima SE that you guys are talking about. It happened after my battery died and I had to use jumper cables. I am going to go buy the magnets from Lowes, but I need help to where I should place the magnets to fix it. Do I place the magnets on top of the dash or somewhere else? Also if someone could post which magnets they bought that would be awesome as well!