6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cattman 6th gen b-pipes and mufflers available again (finally!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Cattman 6th gen b-pipes and mufflers available again (finally!)

We just finished a batch of Cattman Performance b-pipes and mufflers and they're in stock for the first time in many months (b-pipe) or over a year (mufflers). Better yet, they feature a very cool new muffler design. Note that the tips are just attached with some tack welds - of course the finished product won't be like this!

Although the rest of the muffler body is polished, we’re putting a satin finish on the rear panel so it won’t be too reflective. Combined with a more recessed position that tucks them nicely under the car, this new style integrates beautifully with the 6th gen Maxima's rear-end design. The effect reminds me a bit of the AMG exhausts on the Mercedes.

Its not appropriate to give the sales pitch in this thread, but price and ordering information can be found in the max.org GD forum. [Prices and ordering information HERE]. Most of these will go out as backorders, so if interested, give us a call soon because they won't last long.

Feel free to call us with questions (or orders) at 800.759.9920 (US except AZ, AK, HI), 888.296.5153 (Canada and AZ) or 520.575.6195, open 9a-5p MST (11a-7p on the east coast), M-F.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance

Last edited by Cattman; 01-19-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Ooops, the link (above) to prices in the GD forum was bad, but that's fixed now. We'll begin shipping these sets tomorrow (20 January)!

Brian
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Just posted some pics of the installed mufflers.

Brian
Old 01-19-2010, 03:34 PM

Damn, those look real good Brian!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Man those look great. Same sound?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Very nice, brutha.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Wow they look great. I wish I didnt have my nismo exhaust. Any word on the y-pipe yet?

Last edited by matthewr1; 01-20-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments, I'm real pleased with the new look. Sound is hard to measure, so I couldn't be certain unless I had the new and previous mufflers side-by-side, but I think the new ones are slightly quieter with a very similar tone and pitch.

Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Cattman, What is the main purpose for putting on this exhaust system? After talking with Greddy engineers, cat-back exhaust systems only free up about 4-8 horsepower. And for an exhaust system that has a "similar" look and sound to the factory setup, $900 seems like a lot of money for not a lot of upgrade? Please guys don't take me the wrong way, I am really trying to understand exhaust systems better so I am looking for information that can help and if Brian is the best with our Maximas who better than to ask?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by matthewr1
Wow they look great. I wish I didnt have my nismo exhaust. Any word on the y-pipe yet?
Chop off the mufflers! That's what I did to my Greddy system.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Firesice18
Cattman, What is the main purpose for putting on this exhaust system? After talking with Greddy engineers, cat-back exhaust systems only free up about 4-8 horsepower. And for an exhaust system that has a "similar" look and sound to the factory setup, $900 seems like a lot of money for not a lot of upgrade? Please guys don't take me the wrong way, I am really trying to understand exhaust systems better so I am looking for information that can help and if Brian is the best with our Maximas who better than to ask?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Those are good questions, and I'd be glad to provide my perspective.

Well, why does anyone buy an aftermarket catback exhaust? Ranking would vary between individuals, but the reasons are performance, sound, appearance and, potentially, replacement of a worn-out or damaged stock exhaust system.

Nobody is going to confuse a Cattman catback with the stock system!

As far as performance goes, the Cattman catback offers a very noticeable performance increase over stock. I would not start with Greddy's engineers (didn't realise they had any based in the US), and their rather broad estimate of 4-8 whp suggests they are just guessing (I know they're guessing, Greddy's never done squat for the Maxima). Instead, I would look to our own experience and expect 8-10whp from our full catback system, depending on transmission type and other mods. Plus, these exhaust mods make power across the entire rpm range, not just a spike here and there.

The Cattman catback is tuned for sound - not obnoxiously loud, nice smooth tone, great pitch - and quite popular in that regard. No one could mistake it for stock.

Appearance... I think anyone could spot the difference between these cool new oval tips we're using and the horrid looking tips on the 04-06 Maximas. I think they're a distinct improvement over the somewhat better stock tips on the 07/08 Maximas too.

Too bad Nissan doesn't make their systems like we do, they wouldn't be falling off about the time the warranty runs out. Our catbacks are all stainless steel tubing and will easily outlast the stock system which, incidently, costs far more than $900.

Catbacks aren't the #1 performance part on any car. They're required to avoid bottlenecks that would hold back other exhaust parts like headers, but (depending on the vehicle) they're not usually sources of big horsepower. The catbacks we make for Maximas vary a lot in performance, as a function of the engine size, and capacity of the stock exhaust our parts replace. Catbacks on 95-99 Maximas only make 4-6whp, on 00/01s they make about 6-8whp, on 02/03s 10-12whp, and on 04-08s about 8-10whp.

So, to sum up, our US-made parts are designed and built with our no-compromise approach to exhaust fabrication. They perform well, sound great, look very classy (no rice!) last for many years and fit perfectly. For the performance enthusiast, they are substantially superior to the stock exhaust, as well as any aftermarket exhaust available for the Maxima (including the Chinese-made Greddy!).

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 01-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by matthewr1

Y-pipe? We've been selling y-pipes for all the 6th gen Maximas for two years (and headers too). Give us a call if you'd like to purchase one or would like to ask questions - I have a few y-pipes for automatics (with or without cats) and 6MT/CVT (only without cat).

Brian
Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Wow that exhaust looks awsome. Almost makes me want to get a 6th gen.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

surprising that no one posted a soundclip on these yet. i guess ill be the first to do it brian.lol

on a different note brian is one of the best internet sellers i have ever dealt with.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Do you have a sound clip? Would really like to hear it. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

they due to arrive in 2 more days 2/5/10. ill try to have them installed the next day and post a clip. a little nervous because of the new mufflers and no sound clip. the magnaflows are ok but im crossing my fingers to hope these are quiter
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 PM

in for vids....
thanks to cory
Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

guys, I just had the Cattman b-pipe and mufflers installed today on my 07 Max with CVT, to go along with my previously installed Cattman Y-pipe. I think I might be one of the first with the new ones installed. I've never posted pictures or videos on the Org, but will do my best to get something up in the next couple of days if I can figure it out. I must admit though, I am having mixed feelings on the set up. Everything is really well made, which is no surprise, and the exhaust sounds awesome on idle and when you jump on it. But when cruising from about 1,800 to 2,500 RPM, there is an absolutely unbearable drone. I will admit this is my first aftermarket exhaust, so maybe I didn't know what to expect, but this drone is about 10 times louder than I would have thought. I plan on calling Brian tomorrow to discuss, and am open to recommendations on how to solve this issue from fellow members, but if I can't get rid of it I'm probably going to have to take the exhaust off. Sorry for the tease with no vids, I will do my best to have something up this weekend if Corey is unable to get them up. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

[I wrote this without realising we were talking about a CVT instead of an auto, but everything I've said applies to both.]

Well, I guess we'll just have to wait for additional opinions. I'm sorry if your introduction to sport exhausts is not entirely favorable, but unfortunately almost all performance catbacks (straight through exhausts without baffles or mazes) drone with almost all automatic transmissions on all cars and the dual mufflers actually make it a bit more acute. If there was a solution, you can be assured we'd use it. I think that suggesting the drone is "10x more than you thought" is a bit of an exaggeration, but if not, then perhaps your expectations were not realistic.

Catbacks are different with auto trannies simply because you cannot control your cruise rpm level as you would (unconsciously) with a manual tranny; the engine and transmission controllers keep you in the "drone zone" (1800-2800 rpm) all the time unless you have your foot in it. This is so unavoidable that I know of one well-known performance company (JWT) that has never made catbacks for this reason - they're perfectionists and cannot eliminate drone with automatics.

All that said, give this about a week. You might get a bit more used to it, but the reason to hold judgement is that the volume and tone will change a bit over the next several days as the inside of the exhaust gets a thin layer of carbon on it. The sound changes because when its brand new, all the internal surfaces are acoustically reflective, but once the carbon layer builds up a little that reflectivity basically goes away and the surfaces become more absorptive which decreases volume a bit and "softens" the tone. It doesn't keep changing as the exhaust gets older, but there is a difference over the first few hundred miles of driving. This will not eliminate the drone, but the sound will change somewhat so give this a week before you make any decisions.

Also, remember that the mufflers and b-pipes are interchangeable with the stock parts. You could try putting the stock mufflers with the Cattman b-pipe, or vice versa, to see if you like that effect.

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 02-03-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Pic of b-pipe cattman? P.S.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

i was told that keeping the stock resonator would not creat a drone and its why i opted for just mufflers. i do hate having a car sound like a race car while still trying to keep luxury
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Former Sponsor

got them at 5:30pm installed by 11pm. for those that live in salted and snow areas you will need a dremel or grinder to get your previous mufflers off. they look great and fit perfect but when i set out for new mufflers it was to get rid of the ugly stock mufflers because i thought it clashed with the chrome 22's and just made the back f-ugly. i was looking for a quiet but sporty sound like the famous G35 sound were all trying to achieve. i kept the stock b-pipe to help with a quiet sound and to eliminate any drone or to sound like a civic dragging a mule. i have noticed a drone at 2,000- 2,500rpm that i do not like right now. i'll wait like brian said about the carbon build up but honestly i have been known to take a lost for what i like on my cars and if this doesnt clear up in the next 2 weeks i will trade these at half price plus 07 stock mufflers. im not the greddy or magnaflow type. nismo sounded nice but i opted for these because of the cattman name and because of the dual tip design. i'll keep everyone posted and even though i really am disappointed i'll make a effort for a sound clip for resale purposes

Last edited by CXJ Performance; 02-09-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by coryxavier
got them at 5:30pm installed by 11pm. for those that live in salted and snow areas you will need a dremel or grinder to get your previous mufflers off. they look great and fit perfect but when i set out for new mufflers it was to get rid of the ugly stock mufflers because i thought it clashed with the chrome 22's and just made the back f-ugly. i was looking for a quiet but sporty sound like the famous G35 sound were all trying to achieve. i kept the stock b-pipe to help with a quiet sound and to eliminate any drone or to sound like a civic dragging a mule. i have noticed a drone at 2,000- 2,500rpm that i do not like right now. i'll wait like brian said about the carbon build up but honestly i have been known to take a lost for what i like on my cars and if this doesnt clear up in the next 2 weeks i will trade these at half price plus 07 stock mufflers. im not the greddy or magnaflow type. nismo sounded nice but i opted for these because of the cattman name and because of the dual tip design. i'll keep everyone posted and even though i really am disappointed i'll make a effort for a sound clip for resale purposes
Glad to hear it was not just me, I was starting to think I was crazy. I have almost 1,000 miles on the full catback, and the drone is just as loud as day one unfortunately. I do agree with you that they look and fit great, but they are much too loud for my taste. I was going to try the stock b-pipe with Cattman mufflers, but this post has just changed my mind on that. I think I'm going back to stock as well, as the drone gives me a headache on my 45 minute commute to and from work daily, and I don't want to add another resonator if I'm not sure it will solve the issue. Of course any and all suggestions on how to fix this are also welcomed.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by coryxavier
Wow, that sucks Cory. Good luck with the trade bro.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:20 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Obviously I'm very sorry to hear that you're both disappointed with the results from the mufflers. I will say that since you guys both know we're there to help on the front end of the sale, it would have been nice if you'd contacted us first so I could try to work this out rather than going straight to the forum and using such a harsh dialogue.

Rather than responding immediately, I want to take a couple days to better understand this issue. If you can hold off on the shredding until we've had a chance to address this in good faith, it would be appreciated.

First, I'll begin a private discussion with each of you so we can speak more freely. I've learned that no aspect of performance parts is more subjective than exhaust sound, so I'll contact others who ordered the mufflers and get their impressions too. I'll also talk with my exhaust partner about any possibilities for reducing drone that could be done post-production.

Brian
Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Cattman
Thanks for the compliments, I'm real pleased with the new look. Sound is hard to measure, so I couldn't be certain unless I had the new and previous mufflers side-by-side, but I think the new ones are slightly quieter with a very similar tone and pitch.

Brian
as soon as I get some mula together ill be getting them they look great
Old 04-02-2010, 08:44 PM

How much is the b pipe?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
How much is the b pipe?
Retail price is $399.99, but maxima.org members get a discount that brings that down to $379.99. We take orders (and answer questions) by phone at 800.759.9920 (888.296.5153 from Canada) and we're open 9-5 PDT/MST, M-Th. However, during this next week I'll be out of the office Tuesday - Thursday (6-8 April).

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same exact exhaust. Looks real nice. Sounds great to.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:35 AM

i love it it is vere nice & awesome but did it give any diffrent ?

because i hear that catman didnt give you any torq
Old 04-28-2010, 05:51 AM

cattman makes great quality exhausts, but nothing for the 7th gens yet , alot of us on the org are waiting for another company to release their exhaust for our cars. We would love to see something from cattman
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Red line
i love it it is vere nice & awesome but did it give any diffrent ?

because i hear that catman didnt give you any torq
The opposite would be true, particularly since we are using an appropriate combination of tubing diameters (2.5" single tube, 2" muffler tubes), unlike most of the systems out there (2.25" or 2.5" single tube AND muffler tubes, which causes significant turbulance, a velocity drop and loss of low-end HP/TQ).

Besides, you don't make more HP without making more TQ on an engine like this, and our catback definitely makes more HP.

Brian
Old 04-29-2010, 08:26 PM

I have 2.25 inlets on my mufflers (magnaflow 14805s), would the cattman bpipe still be the most appropriate option if I want to keep my same mufflers?

Last edited by bmckendr; 04-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:18 PM

damn... i had a cattman catback on my 00 a few years back and loved it. I was hopeing to grabb one for my 08. I loved how low and suttle it was.... i would love to hear one in person before making the move. anyone close to boston pm me!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Those look sic!!
Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 PM

Nice, and you kept it quad, big plus, most Maximas I see make their quads into just duals.