6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Next mods, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Next mods, thoughts?

I currently drive a 4 speed auto, 04 maxima. Mods are, headers, straight pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, intake and 2* timing advance. I spoke to technosquare but because i'm and auto they will not and have nothing for me? I tried to get the lady that answers the phone to explain but she doesn't know what the *uk she's talking about. I've been researching and found a lot of mixed reviews on Under drive pulleys. My next line of mods were to add the UDP, Phenolic intake spacer, VIAS block plate and the Apexi SAFC neo. Other than the mods I've listed is there anything else out there for us?? I've thought about nitrous but I want that to be last resort. I'm trying to get every HP squeezed out of this motor N/A and no matter how much research I've done there's not much left to bolt up except to go F/I. I know there's piggy backs avail. for tuning but damn they cost so much. Can technosquare just re-flash for opening the throttle 100%, raise rev limiter, and take off the speed limiter for me? I'll have the apexi safc to adjust my a/f ratio's and I think I'll be good from there. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on my next mods in about another 2 weeks or so. I just want to have everything ready and plans laid out before I begin. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM
*moderator*

I went to technosquare a few years back when we were working on the 5at and he worked on the ECU and it had issues, thew gas pedal had no response after. He was going to get the software and work on it, called him a few times but he never got back to me so I gave up...
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
KC's FINEST

Did you not just get rid of a cobra?

Maxima's aren't fast cars... I don't understand.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM

4sp auto. Not worth modding IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec
4sp auto. Not worth modding IMO.
i agree
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM

I understand that auto's aren't worth modding. And that Maxima's weren't meant for super speed. I know if that's what I wanted I should've purchased something else. But, I love the max and for the price, what I got was an amazing deal. I don't have money to just throw around at the moment and go out and get me another car to mod so I'm trying to work with what I have. I just got off the phone with STS turbo. They supply rear mount turbo kits and make a universal kit. I made up my mind and will be going this route. Getting the kit in about 3 weeks. For $2500 bucks the kit isn't bad at all. I'm looking to push about 5-6 psi with the kit which should be just right for the stock block. Hopefully this will keep the mod bug away for a few months. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. I'll post pictures as well of the install. Thanks guys again for your input.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by EVESNAKE1
I understand that auto's aren't worth modding. And that Maxima's weren't meant for super speed. I know if that's what I wanted I should've purchased something else. But, I love the max and for the price, what I got was an amazing deal. I don't have money to just throw around at the moment and go out and get me another car to mod so I'm trying to work with what I have. I just got off the phone with STS turbo. They supply rear mount turbo kits and make a universal kit. I made up my mind and will be going this route. Getting the kit in about 3 weeks. For $2500 bucks the kit isn't bad at all. I'm looking to push about 5-6 psi with the kit which should be just right for the stock block. Hopefully this will keep the mod bug away for a few months. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. I'll post pictures as well of the install. Thanks guys again for your input.
you might want to speak with chernmax before you dump $2500 in that sts kit
Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Did you not just get rid of a cobra?

Maxima's aren't fast cars... I don't understand.

I had no choice but to get rid of the Cobra because of my financial issues. It was my daily driver so the gas alone was killing me. Not to mention the insurance cost and monthly maintenance on the car. I know the maxima and cobra are 2 way different cars. I'm not looking to make my Maxima like a Cobra or any other american v8. Just looking for a little more HP from the 3.5L. Its amazing how much performance parts are readily available for the 350z and g35. It's frustrating that there's nothing out there for us.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

I've looked into chernmax's kit. Other than the $5000 price tag and the mounting location they both have the same outcome..power. The STS kit does not come with an intercooler and some other pieces that the SFR kit comes with. You can run 5 psi of boost with no intercooler with no issues. I'm going to run the turbo pipe directly into the throttle body. I'll upgrade to the intercooler after a few months.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM

I've looked into chernmax's kit. Other than the $5000 price tag and the mounting location they both have the same outcome..power. The STS kit does not come with an intercooler and some other pieces that the SFR kit comes with. You can run 5 psi of boost with no intercooler with no issues. I'm going to run the turbo pipe directly into the throttle body. I'll upgrade to the intercooler after a few months.
are you going to do anything as far as building the the tranny to support the added power?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:27 PM

The 4sp auto isn't worth modding... You're throwing your $ away.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by timwdv
are you going to do anything as far as building the the tranny to support the added power?
I'm definately going to install a tranny cooler and see how that holds up. Why isn't the 4sp not worth modding?? Please elaborate because your opinions help greatly with my plans. I'm still new to the 6th gen so any opinions or facts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Hmmmm I'm really excited to see how this all turns out, please keep us informed. Please don't quote me but, I'm pretty sure you'd be the first 6thgen with a rear mount turbo kit installed.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 PM

I'm definately going to install a tranny cooler and see how that holds up. Why isn't the 4sp not worth modding?? Please elaborate because your opinions help greatly with my plans. I'm still new to the 6th gen so any opinions or facts would be greatly appreciated.
The 4sp has notorious problems. A tranny cooler won't help much, if at all IMO. Honestly, I'd save that $, and put it towards another car in the future.

Sure, faster is great, don't get me wrong! But the 4sp tranny just makes modding a waste.

Intake/exhaust etc. though, would be more than ok. Just the simple bolt-on mods...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Had a big set back last night. Got into a big accident with the max. The whole front end is smashed in. I was waiting to make a left turn for oncoming traffic, as the light turned yellow the cars on the opposite side started to slow down. As I head into making my left I see a car speeding up to run the yellow. By the time he passed it was red and he smashed into my front end. Luckily no one was hurt. I already dropped the car off last night to a body shop. Looks like my turbo plans will be delayed for quite some time. Anyone know what I should upgrade while the car is getting fixed? Should I ask the shop to upgrade my bumper to the 06-07 bumper?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. Had a big set back last night. Got into a big accident with the max. The whole front end is smashed in. I was waiting to make a left turn for oncoming traffic, as the light turned yellow the cars on the opposite side started to slow down. As I head into making my left I see a car speeding up to run the yellow. By the time he passed it was red and he smashed into my front end. Luckily no one was hurt. I already dropped the car off last night to a body shop. Looks like my turbo plans will be delayed for quite some time. Anyone know what I should upgrade while the car is getting fixed? Should I ask the shop to upgrade my bumper to the 06-07 bumper?
so how bad is the damage, where are the pics? hopefully it will be totaled and you can move on to a 6spd or something
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 PM

ouch.. sorry for what happened.. maybe a 6.5 gen conversion?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Oolatec
The 4sp has notorious problems. A tranny cooler won't help much, if at all IMO.
What are these notorious problems you are talking about? I searched back but couldn't find where I read someone talking about how the opposite is true, that the 4sp are actually more reliable. I have just under 95k on my 4sp and not a problem, i also couldn't really find any threads about 4sp issues on the site. Just wondering where the info is coming from...

And EVESNAKE1, bummer about the car. I have an RLM bumper sitting in the rafters of my garage if you are interested. Needs a bit of work (and paint obviously) but hey your cars' in the ship anyways right?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
What are these notorious problems you are talking about? I searched back but couldn't find where I read someone talking about how the opposite is true, that the 4sp are actually more reliable. I have just under 95k on my 4sp and not a problem, i also couldn't really find any threads about 4sp issues on the site. Just wondering where the info is coming from...

And EVESNAKE1, bummer about the car. I have an RLM bumper sitting in the rafters of my garage if you are interested. Needs a bit of work (and paint obviously) but hey your cars' in the ship anyways right?
It was just word-of-mouth from local Nissan mechanics I know, etc... and that all of those "rebuild/shift" kits initially came out for the 4sp. *shrugs*

EVE, sucks what happened to the car... but the important thing is that you're ok!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Thanks guys for the good words. Jsmith, can you send me a pic of the bumper? If I decide to take your bumper I wonder how the purchase process would work since the insurance company is paying for everything. Maybe I can have my bodyshop say they purchased it and then bill the insurance company?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Also I'm with Jsmith, my tranny runs and shifts beautifully. Absolutely no problems with it at all *knock on wood*. I've never had a harsh shift once yet, and the tranny oil still looks fresh. I had the whole tranny system flushed and cleaned about 10,000 miles ago. Either way my turbo dreams are on hold for now. Just looking to get some other mods to put on my baby. UDP, NWP, new catback? Any suggestions?