6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Any 6th Gens Running with a True Dual Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 AM

Any 6th Gens Running with a True Dual Exhaust?

ok guys, I just got back from the shop, and I really think I will be going with a dual exhaust setup. So far, I was just quoted between $350-550 for 2.25" pipes 2 glasspack resonator things, and either 2 borla tips($350) or 2 borla mufflers + tips($550). They said I will have to bring in my own u-bend and I will order my own flex pipes because they wanted to use the ones from my y-pipe but I will just sell that as opposed to hack it up and they wanted $99 a piece for the flex pipes:crazy:

I had to leave early to pick up the girlfriend from work, so I had to leave in a hurry...should I be looking at 2.5" piping? Also, I would like to fit in a magnaflow resonated x-pipe in there, but looking at the tunnel, I'm not sure if I have enough room. They said they will run an h-pipe for me, but from my readings, the x-pipe seems to be the way to go for performance as well as a sound dampening.

My other question would be about the glasspacks...will they dampen the sound good? They are the cylinder with the fish scale looking things protruding out a little. Or should I just go with two small magnaflow resonators?

If anybody has pics of a dual exhaust on the altima or maxima, that would be great.

Thanks again for the replies guys
Old 05-15-2010, 07:36 AM

my setup , 2.25" Dual X pipes , Dual Resonators flip back to front. Greddy pans ,

my exhuast is based off old BMW series, my guy built it around that for torque theres is a distance and math that goes into where the cross pipes merges.

I made a very decent # a few years back with the UTEC N/A
Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Glasspacks... noooo!
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
my setup , 2.25" Dual X pipes , Dual Resonators flip back to front. Greddy pans ,

my exhuast is based off old BMW series, my guy built it around that for torque theres is a distance and math that goes into where the cross pipes merges.

I made a very decent # a few years back with the UTEC N/A
Have any pics you could send my direction? Also, I was contemplating 2.5" pipes, any advantage to those over the 2.25" or will I not experience much gains after the 2.25"? Also I will be spraying soon, just have to find time and motivation to install it lol

Originally Posted by Oolatec
Glasspacks... noooo!
why noooooo? will they sound like ***? Cause if that's the case I will probably just go with 2 smallish magnaflow resonators. That will give me a magnaflow resonated x-pipe(provided I can fit it in the tunnel under the car....it seemed a bit narrow), 2 borla mufflers, and either 2 resonators or 2 glasspacks.

I am leaning towards 2.5" since I will be spraying and I figured the extra flow will be beneficial. Anything I seemed to have missed? Any tips or advice would be more than welcomed
Old 05-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Just stay with the magnaflows , we use them on all our custom exhuast we do here, its way way quiet than glasspacks.

as far as 2.5 , its up too you , you may lose some torque but get it back when your spraying.

you should have enough room , the L31s and A34s have the same underbelly
Old 05-15-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by NiZMo1o1
Just stay with the magnaflows , we use them on all our custom exhuast we do here, its way way quiet than glasspacks.

as far as 2.5 , its up too you , you may lose some torque but get it back when your spraying.

you should have enough room , the L31s and A34s have the same underbelly

Thanks Nizmo. Although, I might try it with the glasspacks since I will have a resonated x pipe muffler + 2 borla mufflers + the 2 glass packs. Do you think that it will still be loud to the point that it is not fun to ride in my car?( I know that this is will vary depending on the person, but I would like to hear your opinion) And judging by your comments(as well as some others on NC) 2.25 might be just right for overall performance? Keeping in mind that the juice will only be a very occasional thing...I'm thinking now that the gains from 2.5" on nitrous will not be worth the possible difference in performance n/a...seem about right?

Also, what are your thoughts on the borla muffs vs. magnaflow? How do they compare?

And any pics, I would really like to see how your bends are?

Thanks again for the help
Matt

Last edited by m_turner_02; 05-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
Thanks Nizmo. Although, I might try it with the glasspacks since I will have a resonated x pipe muffler + 2 borla mufflers + the 2 glass packs. Do you think that it will still be loud to the point that it is not fun to ride in my car?( I know that this is will vary depending on the person, but I would like to hear your opinion) And judging by your comments(as well as some others on NC) 2.25 might be just right for overall performance? Keeping in mind that the juice will only be a very occasional thing...I'm thinking now that the gains from 2.5" on nitrous will not be worth the possible difference in performance n/a...seem about right?

Also, what are your thoughts on the borla muffs vs. magnaflow? How do they compare?

And any pics, I would really like to see how your bends are?

Thanks again for the help
Matt
Well I had videos on putfile but the site went down and never backed it up,
I had a video just fresh of the header installed with the greddy cat-back..
first start up my impression , CBR on CRACK....

then about week in half later , the whole car cabin was vibering , it was loud, and i mean LOUD , it wasnt like Honda Raspy Loud but when its at WOT .. it was horriable..

Thus I went with a true dual with Dual resonators.
heres a vid of how it sounds now currently.

in all honestly I cant be any happier with resonators, ive had experenice with glass pack but that was in my LX 5.0 and Aerostar 3.0 Supercharged.
It was loud, very loud , from Cherry bombs to Glass Pack.

with my setup now , at city speeds and hwy if I dont push it , its low and not noticable over my music until I got WOT
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 PM

I'd go 2.25", X-pipe, 2 resonators (glasspacks), 2 nice mufflers.

perfect sound

also.. BORLA > MAGNAFLOW
Old 05-16-2010, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jcrome04

perfect sound

also.. BORLA > MAGNAFLOW
pics or videos? cause you have pretty much the same setup it looks like I am going to be getting

@ Nizmo: Thanks for the video.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jcrome04

perfect sound

also.. BORLA > MAGNAFLOW
Good luck on it all!!