6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

headunit installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM

headunit installation

hey guys, is there a full step by step installation guide to install a double din into my max? the only thing I see is the dash removal, which helps but I want to be sure I do everything correct. thanks !
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM
*moderator*

Did you look in the stickies? I did, and nobody has really ever written one up. You can be the guy! I had mine installed by the pros...
Not sure what you skill level is but it's all pretty straight forward. Have to cut the kit and then install is pretty standard.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Did you look in the stickies? I did, and nobody has really ever written one up. You can be the guy! I had mine installed by the pros...
Not sure what you skill level is but it's all pretty straight forward. Have to cut the kit and then install is pretty standard.

thanks for the reply man. was beginning to think no one is on here anymore.

my buddy and I are doing it on saturday. i bought the metra double din kit so I won't need to cut anything. (hope its the same color as the oem one- says it is) i'm just hoping it goes well. I prolly won't be doing a write up, but wish there was one here. i guess it'll be pretty straight forward.

I'm just wondering where the hell i'm gonna put the microphone for bluetooth and the gps antenna.

Last edited by saccento; 07-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Its fairly simple bro.. Just remember to be gentle on the plastic pieces.. They tend to want to not work with you.. I also purchased a double din metra kit for my ryde but I ended up not using it kause it would'nt fit with my alpine.. Here's a shot of what mines looks like.. Good luck..

Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what year maxima is that
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 06_SL
what year maxima is that
That is an 07-08 Maxima
Old 07-19-2010, 12:05 PM
*moderator*

Wrong year pic=FAIL lol
Looks good though LucKie1nE!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by LucKie1nE
Its fairly simple bro.. Just remember to be gentle on the plastic pieces.. They tend to want to not work with you.. I also purchased a double din metra kit for my ryde but I ended up not using it kause it would'nt fit with my alpine.. Here's a shot of what mines looks like.. Good luck..

Yeah, that's sick man
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by saccento
thanks for the reply man. was beginning to think no one is on here anymore.

my buddy and I are doing it on saturday. i bought the metra double din kit so I won't need to cut anything. (hope its the same color as the oem one- says it is) i'm just hoping it goes well. I prolly won't be doing a write up, but wish there was one here. i guess it'll be pretty straight forward.

I'm just wondering where the hell i'm gonna put the microphone for bluetooth and the gps antenna.
i see that LucKie1nE has the 07-08 dash interior and yours is the 05 so is different..im still new here and still dunno how to upload these damn pics but i have the 04 max and ended up getting the whole the 07 center console including the stereo face plate cuz it looks better..i ended up installing it and it looks perfect..some mods on relocating the ac buttons and ac amplifier but almost done..in a few weeks i will relocate the navi/radio/trip reset buttons up on the dome light housing cuz im still using the onboard screen and i dont wanna lose the buttons..i can guide you step by step on either doing the 05 console mod or 07 one.you can also connect the after market stereo with ur stock amp or bypass it directly to door speakers..if you wanna add an aftermarket amp for door speakers you can use the stock wiring without having to open up ur door panels to rewire everything..if u have any questions on stock harness wiring colors on ur stereo or amp let me know.u'll get a pretty good gps reception on top of drivers side dash.right under the inspection sticker.i have it there.bluetooth mic can be installed in the middle of speedometer cluster and steering wheel,or you can run it all the way up to dome light housing.(btw..anyone... i click on the icon for images here and it gives me the option for url..is there a way to upload pics from pc?anyone?thnx in advance)

Last edited by UniqueMax; 07-20-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
i see that LucKie1nE has the 07-08 dash interior and yours is the 05 so is different..im still new here and still dunno how to upload these damn pics but i have the 04 max and ended up getting the whole the 07 center console including the stereo face plate cuz it looks better..i ended up installing it and it looks perfect..some mods on relocating the ac buttons and ac amplifier but almost done..in a few weeks i will relocate the navi/radio/trip reset buttons up on the dome light housing cuz im still using the onboard screen and i dont wanna lose the buttons..i can guide you step by step on either doing the 05 console mod or 07 one.you can also connect the after market stereo with ur stock amp or bypass it directly to door speakers..if you wanna add an aftermarket amp for door speakers you can use the stock wiring without having to open up ur door panels to rewire everything..if u have any questions on stock harness wiring colors on ur stereo or amp let me know.u'll get a pretty good gps reception on top of drivers side dash.right under the inspection sticker.i have it there.bluetooth mic can be installed in the middle of speedometer cluster and steering wheel,or you can run it all the way up to dome light housing.(btw..anyone... i click on the icon for images here and it gives me the option for url..is there a way to upload pics from pc?anyone?thnx in advance)
Upload to Photobucket and link them here.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bcampbe7
Upload to Photobucket and link them here.
I tried slide.com and photobucket...i copy the url code and i tried copy all the img codes and i still get the red X in a little box.does that mean i didnt finish with the 15 replies yet?
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by UniqueMax
I tried slide.com and photobucket...i copy the url code and i tried copy all the img codes and i still get the red X in a little box.does that mean i didnt finish with the 15 replies yet?
I first had to adjust n fit the doubledin sleeve to the 04 stock brackets..

first i adjusted it with crazy glue than with some small screws and shaved them..u can see it in this pic closely
Same thing with the onboard screen..i had to put a doubledin sleeve on it to bring it forward cuz the 07 radio faceplate it sticks out..it doesnt go flat with the dash like teh 04-06
next step was getting it all together..
and this is the last pic i've taken..i went further than that of course..as u can see under the stereo i had to cut the console on the sides to make the ac switches fit..not done with the frame yet but as soon as i get pics i will post..btw.. i painted the ac buttons black to match the new dash..and i didnt get no over spray on the ac letters..its a trick

Last edited by UniqueMax; 07-20-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Wrong year pic=FAIL lol
Looks good though LucKie1nE!
Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
Yeah, that's sick man
Thanks..!!..

UniqueMax.. Would like to see a pik of everything put together.. Good progress though..
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks..!!..

UniqueMax.. Would like to see a pik of everything put together.. Good progress though..
Sure..as soon as i take one..today or probably tomorrow..the edge of ac buttons not finished yet tho..but it doesnt look bad for now..i just wanted to take a brake from that and do smth else..so i have one more door left(drivers rear side) to cover up with a carbon fiber pleather..so i took appart all the other door panels and ripped that cloth off..out a layer of sponge and then the grey carbon fiber pleather..looks siiiickkkkkkkkk..lol..pics coming soon

Last edited by UniqueMax; 07-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:05 PM
oem ftw!

UniqueMax: Great job so far man. Thanks for sharing that. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:19 PM

lmao is dat nicki minaj? 5 star chick remix??
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by joker07x
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by joker07x
Yes it is.. Good Eye..
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM

CRiME thanks a lot.I'll post some new pics as soon as i finish it.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 PM

looks sick so far man, cant wait to see it when its done! posting pics soon of max when it comes out the shop next week
Old 08-03-2010, 10:27 AM

i had to customize my double din even with the metra kit because my pioneer avh-p4100 wouldnt tilt with the kit on my 04 maxima
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Unique, where'd u get that whole console?? N for how much? Would anyone else know where I can find it?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37 PM

how do you get custom text in the display like that?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by creekboarder
how do you get custom text in the display like that?
http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=10303
Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 AM

i want to install mines now

i want to get a pioneer kit though
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM

Nice setup... I'm still undecided if I should go single din or double din setup on my 08.. Anyone have pics of the single din setup?
Old 10-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can Anyone tell me if I can do a factory upgrade from my 04 audio system to the 07 audio system? My cd changer just ate up my cd and wont spit it out. I'm gonna wind up replacing it but I wanted to keep a factory radio in it. I saw that the 07 has an aux jack and I like being able to feed the radio multiple cd's. Can anyone help?
Old 10-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ahmirj
Can Anyone tell me if I can do a factory upgrade from my 04 audio system to the 07 audio system? My cd changer just ate up my cd and wont spit it out. I'm gonna wind up replacing it but I wanted to keep a factory radio in it. I saw that the 07 has an aux jack and I like being able to feed the radio multiple cd's. Can anyone help?

The wireing harness wont match up between the two.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 PM

Will this fit

Hey guys, wanted to bump this thread cause im looking into getting a double din in dash gps /dvd combo...

Newb question, but I am guessing any double din gps/dvd should fit in our maxima then? (I Have an 06 stock, no bose)

Will this fit? and yes, it's a cheap 200 buck one from China, but I am not in this car enough to really get a fancy one

So will I need a special kit if I want to put on the very top position (where my info screen is?)

Then I plan to buy the double din kit to put the info screen in the middle and keep that compartment at the bottom that opens up. I know some people on here have used that to relocate the info screen, I wanna keep that as is.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Save your money and get a brand name unit you will thank your self later .
Old 12-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Pioneer FTW!
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Old 04-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by maxima1213
A easy way is to connect all 3 together then ground it to bear metal behind the dash.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM

i was gonna do a single din with a motorized 7" touch screen but after watching your setup am reconsidering my idea, as i just saw took a look at my car and notice that the screen will block the climate controls am new to this maxima situation and new to the forum so i got a question also since i cant open new threads, how hard is it to install a 3rd party Stereo? cause i would like to try it myself but am scared i might screw something up, my wife will kill me if i do too.

thanks in advance
Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same here i would like to know how hard it is ....thnx
Old 04-13-2011, 08:07 PM

It's easy. Follow the video here to take the dash apart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJY2J...&feature=feedf

Then connect your wires - all like colors together. If you have a Bose system and no navi (like me) and you are installing a single DIN unit, buy these parts: http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-7551, http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7404 (new front dash piece), http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-NI10

If you do have Bose and have a blue wire (either solide blue or blue/white) left over, connect it with the other blue wires. The ground wire coming from your stereo harness will need to be grounded somewhere behind the dash.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask and we'll help you out.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
Hey guys, wanted to bump this thread cause im looking into getting a double din in dash gps /dvd combo...

Newb question, but I am guessing any double din gps/dvd should fit in our maxima then? (I Have an 06 stock, no bose)

Will this fit? and yes, it's a cheap 200 buck one from China, but I am not in this car enough to really get a fancy one

So will I need a special kit if I want to put on the very top position (where my info screen is?)

Then I plan to buy the double din kit to put the info screen in the middle and keep that compartment at the bottom that opens up. I know some people on here have used that to relocate the info screen, I wanna keep that as is.
As long as it IS a double DIN size, it will fit. You will need a new front dash piece: http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-7404S
Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by officerfrasher
It's easy. Follow the video here to take the dash apart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJY2J...&feature=feedf

Then connect your wires - all like colors together. If you have a Bose system and no navi (like me) and you are installing a single DIN unit, buy these parts: http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-7551, http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-7404 (new front dash piece), http://www.metraonline.com/part/40-NI10

If you do have Bose and have a blue wire (either solide blue or blue/white) left over, connect it with the other blue wires. The ground wire coming from your stereo harness will need to be grounded somewhere behind the dash.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask and we'll help you out.
thank you very much for the feed back and info the car that we purchase have a aftermarket stereo already, and its single din configured already, lucky me XD save me from buying a new panel but i will be pulling that one out and getting a Jensen with the steering wheel adaptor cause my wife insist on me getting the steering wheel control back and functioning >.> lucky me huh, anyways i already did the indept homework on which Jensen model and adaptor will work with my car and found a really good one on ebay, anyone else using after market with steering wheel control functioning?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM

im realy glad i dont have my 05 anymore....
Old 06-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi guys, Im new to the forum so I cant post a new thread for my question.

I just bought a 2005 nissan maxima without navigation but with bose sound. I have a alpine after market headunit that I would like to put in, and I would like to still have volume control through the stearing wheel. I just purchased this kit ...
http://www.ecrater.com/p/8693817/nis...axima+dash+kit

...which looks like it includes a wiring harness along with the new panel. Is there anything else i should be ordering?

Thanks,
Matt

Quick Reply: headunit installation