6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rotten Egg Smell W/ "Spirited" Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Rotten Egg Smell W/ "Spirited" Driving

Hey guys. Yes I've searched, but I haven't been able to find an answer to my question..

(2006 Max)
Everytime I get on the throttle, there is a HORRIBLE sulfer/rotten egg smell that fills the cabin of the car. Now I'm lead to believe this is because of the catalytic converters.. Does my Max just need to go through a bout of Seafoam??? Or is there maybe something more sinister going on?

Any ideas welcome... I've had the car almost a year and the smell has never gone away. Bought car with 23k miles, currently at ~37k. Drive about 15k/yr

Previous owner was a little old man.. probably never got it over 55/60MPH or 2.5kRPM for that matter hahaha Clogged cats?

Thanks for any/all input guys! I need it!

Last edited by jcrome04; 07-23-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:17 AM

Sounds like the cats to me. From reading the forums sounds like the pre cats fail pretty early. With that low a miles seems strange.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM

I am thinking that is a common symptom of Catylitic converter issue. Low miles does seem strange though. With the previous owner being an old man, he probably never "blew the smoke out."
Old 07-23-2010, 09:18 AM

Just added mileage info to 1st post as you replied . I'm currently at ~37k
Old 07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your cats are clogged you should get a check engine light. Perhaps there is an exhaust leak some where. I'd take it to a muffler shop and see what they say.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 AM

I have 156k miles and I get the smell but I'm pretty sure its the precats because mine smells like I just let off a bunch of fireworks in the car. No CEL though, Apollos2 I don't think it triggers a SES well at least not in my 5th gen.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM

Take Pepto Bismol or Malanta Bro. You're behind might letting a few loose ones when "Spirited Driving".

JK... Its you're pre-cats. Always an issue with those.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM

check ur battery, it could be a bad alternator i had the same issue and it was the altenator over charging the battery, def not safe. go get it tested asap. i had this same issue and the was wat was causing it
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
I have 156k miles and I get the smell but I'm pretty sure its the precats because mine smells like I just let off a bunch of fireworks in the car. No CEL though, Apollos2 I don't think it triggers a SES well at least not in my 5th gen.

Interesting, because when mine failed, I got a check engine light. That's how I found out they failed. Which led to the header purchase. Pre-cats are covered under warranty up to 80k miles so if it is the pre-cats you are in luck!

They are not a cheap thing to replace.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM

I'll take it to my exhaust guy to check for leaks.

as far as the battery/alternator are concerned... mine smell just fine
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 PM

change that cat man
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Smell is normal. Mine only does that with premium gas. If i use midgrade or unleaded I don't smell that.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM

Its from the spirited driving then with a full release of the gas pedal. My guess is that when we floor it and it dumps a lot of fuel into the cylinders and then you let off the gas there is not enough time for all the fuel to be used in the cylinder and the rest is burned off by the cats giving you the smell. When I do spirited driving I don't get the smell if I release the pedal to the speed I want to maintain. I don't know if I'm right b/c I'm not a mechanic but this is just my observation. Also, with more miles the smell intensity is way less than when new. On a scale of 1-10 I am at about a 2 on the smell now and I am at 67,XXX miles.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:43 PM

Interesting opinions. I'd get the cats checked just to be sure, because bad cats can ruin your engine. Hopefully it's like some of the guys say and its normal. Keep us updated.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Its from the spirited driving then with a full release of the gas pedal. My guess is that when we floor it and it dumps a lot of fuel into the cylinders and then you let off the gas there is not enough time for all the fuel to be used in the cylinder and the rest is burned off by the cats giving you the smell. When I do spirited driving I don't get the smell if I release the pedal to the speed I want to maintain. I don't know if I'm right b/c I'm not a mechanic but this is just my observation. Also, with more miles the smell intensity is way less than when new. On a scale of 1-10 I am at about a 2 on the smell now and I am at 67,XXX miles.
I agree the the highlighted text above, when i had 20k miles on my 08, i started getting this smell. I did my research and found out that its the gas and its sulfur content. You need to do a research and find out how much sulfur is in the gas you use. Some companies use more than others. I use to use Chevron (when i lived in texas) and the middle grade gas and I started gettin this smell. I decided to use premium gas and a different brand (shell) and after about less than 2 months, the smell went away. My research led me to the gas companies so, before you go spend money on diagnostic fees and cats try using a different brand and different grade of gas. Please note i do not say use one or the other gas companies, just research them and see which has less sulfur content. I am pretty sure i can use middle grade gas from shell but i am very happy with premium. It is important tho that once you find out which gas has less sulfur where you live, try to give your car at least 2 months of use of the different gas and try to be consistent as possible. Good luck and keep us posted

ps, i dont have that smell at all now, i have almost 48K
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Hopefully it is a normal thing.

I always have used Chevron Premium, I'll try another place.. see if it makes a difference!

I'll still take it to my exhaust guy to take a peek.. he won't charge to look
Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan
I agree the the highlighted text above, when i had 20k miles on my 08, i started getting this smell. I did my research and found out that its the gas and its sulfur content. You need to do a research and find out how much sulfur is in the gas you use. Some companies use more than others. I use to use Chevron (when i lived in texas) and the middle grade gas and I started gettin this smell. I decided to use premium gas and a different brand (shell) and after about less than 2 months, the smell went away. My research led me to the gas companies so, before you go spend money on diagnostic fees and cats try using a different brand and different grade of gas. Please note i do not say use one or the other gas companies, just research them and see which has less sulfur content. I am pretty sure i can use middle grade gas from shell but i am very happy with premium. It is important tho that once you find out which gas has less sulfur where you live, try to give your car at least 2 months of use of the different gas and try to be consistent as possible. Good luck and keep us posted

ps, i dont have that smell at all now, i have almost 48K
I use shell v-power and the smell is there when I floor it especially if I reach up to 80mph or above it smells like a fireworks show just went off in my car, I'm pretty sure its my cats that's why I'm getting headers as soon as I buy my wife a car that way I can take my max apart
Old 07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Gram Lights addict

its your cat.

buy two bottles of sea foam. dump 1 entire bottle in a full tank....

the other bottle, do two 8oz treatments through the brake booster within 50miles driving of each other and it WILL go away

Old 07-30-2010, 10:08 AM

Interesting.... never used seafoam before but I use techron on every oil change plus I've heard people have problems after seafoaming there cars.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Gram Lights addict

where did u hear that? sea foam is safe...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:21 AM

Here on the org, there was a thread about it a couple days ago.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
its your cat.

buy two bottles of sea foam. dump 1 entire bottle in a full tank....

the other bottle, do two 8oz treatments through the brake booster within 50miles driving of each other and it WILL go away

Not if the cats are bad.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Gram Lights addict

yes... seafoam cleans the cats
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM

yes... seafoam cleans the cats
Yes, it'll help clean them, but it won't fixthem if they are going bad.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Yeah, I've used seafoam before.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My max has gas :(

Hey guys i have the same problem with the rotten egg smell when I drive agressive, My problem is that no check engine light is on, so the nissan dealerships want to charge me for everything, the smell is gettin to me, i need to fix this asap, and it seems im gettin a lil "lag" with acceleration sometimes, is this the cats?, i have a 6th gen, with 51k on the odo, please help if anyone knows some solutions. I dont want to replace the cats
Old 01-20-2011, 12:31 PM

51k is too early to be bad cats imo its something else.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Bad Smell

I am struggling with this as well. I only have this issue when it is hot and I have the AC on, even on recirculate. The dealership tried to tell me that it was my CAI and the car was running lean. My diagnostic tool says otherwise. I also have an issue when I turn on the heat and the ac is on, I get this very odd almost burning smell through the vent's. If I turn off the AC it will go away????????
Old 01-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Keep in mind the 6th gen has 2 pre-cats and then the main cat. Could be any of them but the pre-cats are notorious for failing. 51k sounds a little early but definitely not out of the question.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

In my experience of driving...its either the cats or the tranny..i have run a lot of cars to the ground because i drive 40k a year. Funny thing with these cars really it could go either way.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks all

Just wanted to thank you for responding, seems i noticed a lil hesitation today from 2-3k rpms, so maybe the cats are the problem, but thanks agian!
Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have this same problem i have a 2006 maxima with 74 k and it has the same problem everytime i step on the pedal hard or "floor" it i get this rotten egg smell i had a brand new transmission replaced in february and have only drove it approximately 3k miles since and ever since i got the tranny swap ive been having that issue. Ive tried different gasoline brands and types but no luck and the dealer wants to charge me a million dollars just to "check" for a problem??
Old 08-28-2011, 08:26 PM

badblackmax got it right. Its the precats not catching all the unburnt fuel. THIS IS NORMAL!! not just with a max but with ALL high compression vehicles with premium fuel.. ill say it again. THIS IS 100% NORMAL. there is nothing wrong with you car. there is nothing you can do to fix it. you will notice that it only happens when you drive spirited for the first time after your car starts. once you heat up the pre cats more by driving hard they will get hotter, more efficient, and the smell will stop unless you drive like a grandma for a little while, allowing the cats to cool and then punch it again. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OR PAY A DEALER TO CHECK IT OUT. THIS IS NORMAL!!

ok so hopefully i drove that point home.

and there are LOTS and i mean LOTS of information out there talking about this so you didn't search very hard..

here ill even give you some facts about it... The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. However, when you push a car hard two variables will happen. ONe you are pushing exhaust out faster than the cat can convert the sulfur to sulfer dioxide. two, the reason it stops after pushing your car hard over time is because the cat becomes hot, and more efficient allowing the cat to convert enough so that you can't smell it anymore. Allow your cat to cool under conservative operating conditions and then push it hard again, and again, the egg smell will arise!!!!

Last edited by revvinMAXto11; 08-28-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM

I have had the rotten egg smell for some time. Now I am getting P0420 and a high sound coming from the engine. Could they be linked?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Gram Lights addict

Originally Posted by revvinMAXto11
badblackmax got it right. Its the precats not catching all the unburnt fuel. THIS IS NORMAL!! not just with a max but with ALL high compression vehicles with premium fuel.. ill say it again. THIS IS 100% NORMAL. there is nothing wrong with you car. there is nothing you can do to fix it. you will notice that it only happens when you drive spirited for the first time after your car starts. once you heat up the pre cats more by driving hard they will get hotter, more efficient, and the smell will stop unless you drive like a grandma for a little while, allowing the cats to cool and then punch it again. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING OR PAY A DEALER TO CHECK IT OUT. THIS IS NORMAL!!

ok so hopefully i drove that point home.

and there are LOTS and i mean LOTS of information out there talking about this so you didn't search very hard..

here ill even give you some facts about it... The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. However, when you push a car hard two variables will happen. ONe you are pushing exhaust out faster than the cat can convert the sulfur to sulfer dioxide. two, the reason it stops after pushing your car hard over time is because the cat becomes hot, and more efficient allowing the cat to convert enough so that you can't smell it anymore. Allow your cat to cool under conservative operating conditions and then push it hard again, and again, the egg smell will arise!!!!

false, it is not normal. In neither of my maximas have i ever experience this. and both have had over 80k on them with plenty of spirited visits to redline. it is becaue of the cat.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM

false, it is not normal. In neither of my maximas have i ever experience this. and both have had over 80k on them with plenty of spirited visits to redline. it is becaue of the cat.
i don't agree.. i've driven many new cars off the lot when i worked at toyota, and all the cars that required premium fuel made the sulfur smell when i stomped on it. so unless all of theirs cats were bad, its a normal thing.

i also get the sulfer smell in my exhaust when i stomp on it before the cats heat up. this issue is less prevalent where the weather is hotter. colder climates seem to exacerbate the problem
Old 09-12-2011, 08:30 PM
Gram Lights addict

so why is it thst i never experienced this in 8 years of vq30 ownership?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 AM

my father-in-law has an e350 and this happens often. seems to be an issue with Toyota more than any make, at least that Iv'e noticed. I have read Toyota forums and this is a common complaint. I've also read articles that state this is unburned fuel form spirited driving. If you google this, you will find tons of discussions and articles.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM

so why is it thst i never experienced this in 8 years of vq30 ownership?
it has a lot to do with how you drive. air/fuel maps (ecu)

let me be more clear. this rotten egg smell is the inefficiency of your precats. it doesn't mean that your precats are bad... but it is still very possible that your pre cats have been burnt or there is a crack or hole in the honey comb or they are just spent if your getting this smell all of the time.

if it is an occasinoal thing and ONLY when you are stepping on the throttle for the first time in your drive, then you can consider it normal. like i said i've driven brand new, new, and old cars with the same issue. but the underlying problem is your precats are not converting a high enough % of exhaust.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:05 PM

mine does that too its at 279k with a 100% brand new exhaust system its not your cat its the premium gas.
and i could be driving like a mad man for 2 hours and still happens everytime i stomp on it like i stole it ive just become used to the smell LOL
i own 2 2000 maxima GXE's they both do it btw. one is 164k one is 279k i would think its a common thing what are the chances i get 2 bad ones

Last edited by mcintosh420; 01-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Rotten Egg Smell W/ "Spirited" Driving