6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Tierd of this dam wheel shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Tierd of this dam wheel shimmy

So I know this has been talked about and I have read all the post on this but I haven't been very seccessful on resolving this issue with my max.I have spend a ton of money on tires and rims balance after balance new rotors new pads, It work for a few days then it starts shaking agian.

Anyway I've been thinking of trading the max because of this problem
Although I love my car but this is killing me please guys if any one has the
true fix for this let me know.

Thanks

Last edited by Lovemycar; 08-17-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM

I really don't think there is a fix for this! I did the same as you (minus the outrageous amount of money) and changed my brakes, rotors, tires, along with balancing and aligning and after 100,000 it finally started shimmying. I think it's just something that happens to our cars, though mine shimmies after 75mph. It's aggravating, true, but I do love my car. Have you spoken with a dealership about any fixes??
Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
So I know this has been talked about and I have read all the post on this but I haven't been very seccessful on resolving this issue with my max.I have spend a ton of money on tires and rims balance after balance new rotors new pads, It work for a few days then it starts shaking agian.

Anyway I've been thinking of trading the max because of this problem
Although I love my car but this is killing me please guys if any one has the
true fix for this let me know.

Thanks
Put the car on lift put it in drive bring up the speed and see if there are any abnormalities. Have you checked the wheel bearings doesn't necessarily have to make noise to be bad?? If your front end is not tight it would only take a few days to wear the tires to wear it might cause a shimmy. An issue I had was that the calipers were sticking and I have never had a shimmy but when they started to stick and my brake pads started to just ride on the rotors that will diffidently cause a shimmy.Make sure your tires are not over inflated too. My max rides very smooth but when you hit a bump you know it well these cars feel everything on the roads that is rough.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Are you guys on stock or aftermarket rims? If you have aftermarket rims are you using centering rings? I found it made a big difference once I installed them on my Honda.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:28 PM

I lived with this and the car shuttering above a 100 MPH for 104K, Tried all the usual fixes and the final fix was .......................replacing the right hand drive shaft and intermediate bearing (one piece, $178.00 (after market)), the car is smooth as glass at any speed.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Proceedbob
I lived with this and the car shuttering above a 100 MPH for 104K, Tried all the usual fixes and the final fix was .......................replacing the right hand drive shaft and intermediate bearing (one piece, $178.00 (after market)), the car is smooth as glass at any speed.
I'll definitely have to try that. My whole car shakes at 70mph now and I don't understand this! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 AM

My car new would shake like it was coming apart above 100mph, of course the dealer would not drive it that fast so I lived with it. Lately (100k miles) the car was experiencing drive line slap that progressed into the car shaking around 65-70 under acceleration, if you let off the gas and coasted it would stop. Myself and my dealer had the car off the ground several times and could not see or feel anything that would cause this. They contacted Nissan about it thinking it might be the differential in the transmission and they suggested replacing the output shafts. The left shaft (drivers side) is a short shaft and the right is a two piece with a pillow block bearing, I ordered the right shaft it being the one most likely to cause trouble $175.00 from American Axle. This fixed the problem across the board, I still need to swap the left shaft when I get time. email me if you need any more info.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 AM

Thanks guys for your replys But I'm sad to say the 04 max has been traded for a 2007 M35X 45K fully loaded I'll post some pic's later
Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 AM

you know, I have not had any shimmying or shaking of any sort up to now (currently at 124k or 77k miles) I'm currently on stock wheels, I just hope it's not an issue that will arise soon....
Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemycar
Thanks guys for your replys But I'm sad to say the 04 max has been traded for a 2007 M35X 45K fully loaded I'll post some pic's later
that's a sweet car bud - I have been looking at the 07 M45 (dealer has one blk on blk) I just have to present the "business case" to my wife
Old 08-23-2010, 01:49 PM

I was gonna say, there's this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...g-wheel-8.html

End result seems to be getting the steering rack adjusted.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My wife's car has had the shimmy since new. It's a 2004 with about 50K on it now.

I hadn't been on the site in awhile and am considering new tires so I came back to see if there is a solution to the shimmy issue (I wish I could start a new thread, but don't have 15 posts). Reading through all the posts on this subject, it seems there isn't a smoking gun. Some claims shafts, others the wheels, others the lower plastic shroud, etc. My question is this: Have any of you fixed the problem by going to after market wheels? It's about time to either refinish the wheels or get new ones, so if there is a chance of that solving the problem, I'll take it.

Second part. My wife is a 51 year-old lady. If I get after-market wheels, they can't have a boy-racer look to them. I realize that most on this forum don't have that requirement, but any suggestions on a nice, but conservative, set of 18" wheels?
Old 09-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Proceedbob
My car new would shake like it was coming apart above 100mph, of course the dealer would not drive it that fast so I lived with it. Lately (100k miles) the car was experiencing drive line slap that progressed into the car shaking around 65-70 under acceleration, if you let off the gas and coasted it would stop. Myself and my dealer had the car off the ground several times and could not see or feel anything that would cause this. They contacted Nissan about it thinking it might be the differential in the transmission and they suggested replacing the output shafts. The left shaft (drivers side) is a short shaft and the right is a two piece with a pillow block bearing, I ordered the right shaft it being the one most likely to cause trouble $175.00 from American Axle. This fixed the problem across the board, I still need to swap the left shaft when I get time. email me if you need any more info.
I'm having the same driveline play issue, thought it was diff. Under normal acceleration did your car kind of "bounce"? like the engine would take up the slack, then loosen, then take up the slack again quickly a few times until you accelerated harder? i have an 05 SE 6spd, had it for twenty-some thousand miles and can't drive it smoothly to save my life. Hoping it's the shaft(s) now and not the diff. And (lightly off topic) how can i tell if i have the standard diff or the helical cut LSD?