6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Introducing new Racingline High flow Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:37 PM
TAZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Introducing Racingline High flow Catalytic Converters (Pre-Cats)

Introducing Racingline's new High Flow Pre-Cat exhaust systems for the 2004-2008 Maxima. Engineered to be a 100% bolt on, these units feature fully metallic core Stainless steel high flow cats that flow more than double that of the OEM units they replace, resulting in 8 HP and 14tq at the wheels

Designed as a "header alternative" for cars that are experiencing failed pre-cat units. Until now, if a pre-cat failed your only options was customizing a header set (that takes upwards of 8-10 hours installation with no guarantee against SES/CEL lights) or going to the Nissan dealer and spending $700 each on the pre-cat units.

Racingline HFPC's feature:
  • 100% bolt on performance in under 4hours
  • 3-way ODBII compliant metallic core substrate units that flows more than double that of the OEM units
  • No CEL/SES lights.
  • No modifications
  • Tig welded 304 stainless steel body's
  • 8hp & 14l ft/lbs @ the wheels
  • weigh 10lbs less than the OEM units

Will work with Racingline, OEM and all other Ypipes designed to mimic the stock mounting setup

1 Year limited warranty against manufacturer defects

Pre-Orders are now open. ONLY the first 15sets will be sold at the intro price of $480 Racingline Order Page

I have 3 sets available to CVT, 4speed auto & Manuals transmissions instock. Remaining stock & 5speed auto should be ready to ship in approx 2 weeks.

Last edited by TAZ; 08-24-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:56 PM

nice !
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM

I might jump on these, not too sure yet thou
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 AM

Awesome addition to the mods available to the 6thgen Maxima!

Question: how do you know there won't be any check engine lights? I'm not saying there will be (and I suspect that there should not be any CEL with this set up) but how long did you test it? Was it tested on anyones car from the .org here?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:21 AM

ill have them on within a few days

hopefully not lol .... will post up results along with pics of the clogged crap in my cats !
Old 08-25-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm going to order one too...if I can get my login pw from Racingline!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by taz394
ill have them on within a few days

hopefully not lol .... will post up results along with pics of the clogged crap in my cats !
You installing yourself?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by dpeles1
You installing yourself?
nope i have someone do it for me .. working 13 hours a day all week
Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 PM

Performance wise, whats difference between these and say, Cattman headers?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:33 PM

No CELs. lol
Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM

Any chance these will fit on the 5th Gen. ?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 PM
TAZ

From memory the shapes are very similar to the 5thgen cats but I have tested so I cannot say for sure. I know the oem pat numbers are different but that doesn't necc mean much. Next time I have a 5th gen in for the RSTB test fitting I'll try to get under the car and do a fitting of the cats
Old 08-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Racingline
From memory the shapes are very similar to the 5thgen cats but I have tested so I cannot say for sure. I know the oem pat numbers are different but that doesn't necc mean much. Next time I have a 5th gen in for the RSTB test fitting I'll try to get under the car and do a fitting of the cats

Is this something that a professional mechanic needs to do or something the average car nut could tackle? And did you see increased sound? Thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM
TAZ

Originally Posted by dpeles1
Is this something that a professional mechanic needs to do or something the average car nut could tackle? And did you see increased sound? Thanks.
if you are handy with cars and have the right equipment including the means to safely support the car high enough that you can work waist deep under it then yes. 2 of the rear bolts are a PITA but besides that is is fairly straight forward. Sound increase was only slight and it gave the car a more metallic G35 sound. The clip below is an ser with only CAI and Ypipe. Stock exhuast
Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM

if you are handy with cars and have the right equipment including the means to safely support the car high enough that you can work waist deep under it then yes. 2 of the rear bolts are a PITA but besides that is is fairly straight forward. Sound increase was only slight and it gave the car a more metallic G35 sound. The clip below is an ser with only CAI and Ypipe. Stock exhuast

Thanks for link. Sounds like I need a professional install. I don't have the means to get it that high but thanks for the response.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 of the rear bolts for the pre cat are a PITA. what tool should i used cause i tried to unbolted it before but was unsuccessfull. thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Please do and let me know i would love to get that on my 02
Old 08-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Most likely ordering these tomorrow..or friday when I get paid again.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Is the metallic core cat still prone to the same problems as the stock cat and is there a guarantee against premature failure?
Also, I checked out the installation instructions on the website to see how difficult the install would be. Can you elaborate on those two rear bolts that are difficult to remove?

Last edited by mrmurphz; 08-29-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:29 PM

I have to say that this was actually a cool project to do. You just have to make sure you have the time, tools, equipment and patience.

Below is the tool with extension that I used to get those bolts in the back. And they came out with ease.

Last edited by The Presence; 08-29-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM

^looks like u did the full headers not just the precats? Im still wondering if its just more worth going for the headers, with the precats plus y pipe price is gonna be up there already. Interested in the results on these though il be checking back here...
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Yeah, thats the full header set there in the Presence pics. IMO I think it comes down to this.

1. Regular headers should provide more power than these. But I will say this, I was told way back by a knowledgable member that deleting the cat in the stock Y-pipe was a waste of time because that cat was pretty efficient/high flow. I deleted it anyway, he was right, made zero difference at the track. Sooooo, I say the regular headers "should" provide more power, how much more power over the Racingline High Flow cat set up, I don't know but I am guessing the whp gain will be pretty close.

2. CODES: This is a big one. If these High Flow cats, make close to the power of headers and it's true that they don't throw any CEL codes, it might be worth it for some to take a little less power and not have a CEL light.

3. Emissions: Our cars come stock with 3-cats. I have headers and I am down to one High-flow cat in my Y-pipe and so far I am passing emissions. Will that be the same for everyone? I don't know but I am pretty confident that with three high flow cats, you would be guaranteed to pass emissions tests.

But I am still waiting for an answer to this question:

Originally Posted by Apollos2
..........Question: how do you know there won't be any check engine lights? I'm not saying there will be (and I suspect that there should not be any CEL with this set up) but how long did you test it? Was it tested on anyones car from the .org here?

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:17 AM

Appolo - I dont think we will know the answer to your question until a handful of 6thgens install the pre cats. I visit other nissan forums and I saw that some guys are still throwin codes with HFCs.... usually depends on the quality of the product.

This is my opinion....
High Flow Cats are great and can produce gains similar to headers. On some cars, like my Z the Cats are located under the car. This makes using High Flow Cats or Test pipes the obvious way to go because it is a quick bolt on mod that can be done in a half hour (dont have to shell out $600 for a header install). A car like the 6thgen, the cats are not easy to get to. If your going to pay for a 4 hour HFC install why not just spend an extra hour and do headers?!
$$ Per Horsepower = Headers seem like the best way to go on a 6thgen. That is not the case on all cars, I can pick up HFCs or Test Pipes for around $250-300 and install them myself in an hour. We all know that is gonna be a LOT cheaper than headers, and for a couple HP difference it doesnt seem worth it to me....
Like others have said... it is a good option for those with a warranty. Everyones situation is different so headers will be the best option for some and HFCs for others.. Cant really say one is better.

* I put headers on my 6thgen
Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM

Just put a backorder for cattman headers. Gotta wait paitently for them to get enough orders in to make. Until then, looks like im gonna gut my cats out.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by 04CleanMaxx
Appolo - I dont think we will know the answer to your question until a handful of 6thgens install the pre cats.....
Yeah but that's not what Racingline said. (I'm not try to be hard on them, I just wanted to see what kind of testing they did first. )

Introducing Racingline's new High Flow Pre-Cat exhaust systems for the 2004-2008 Maxima. .......
[*]No CEL/SES lights...
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 AM

fedex taking forever .. dangit

its gonna pass up the weekend and then i won't be able to install them till next weekend when i get off sniff sniff
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
TAZ

Out test set has been on our test car for almost 3 months now and the car is still CEL free and running great. The rich mixture the car initially had has been fixed for the most part and the car is running very strong right now.

The tester is not on the org unfortunately so you can't pick his brain, he's a lurker over on NC that found us for a Ypipe last year. When this project came up we called him to see if he was interested in helping out.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:01 PM

3 months no CEL? Awesome! I knew I liked this idea!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dear Racingline,
does this fit on the AUS 6th gen maxima?
how much is it to ship to Australia?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by mrmurphz
Also, I checked out the installation instructions on the website to see how difficult the install would be. Can you elaborate on those two rear bolts that are difficult to remove?
The cats are very easy to remove, especially when compared to a full on header install. As Presence posted, all you will need is a ratchet/breaker bar, some socket extensions, and possibly a universal joint socket although I don't remember from my install. I can tell you though that the cats came off my car in under an hour when I installed my headers a while back. the only thing that would be helpful would maybe be an extra set of hands to hold the socket flush to the nut if you have to use a breaker bar. other than that, you are looking at ~1-2hrs as a diy garage mechanic vs. 6-10hrs for a header install. And I did my install on jackstands, cause you only need enough room to slide up under the car and be able to extend your arms a bit and that's all
Old 09-04-2010, 07:46 AM

So we spoke about this on my6thgen.org in this thread http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t=2680

We came to a estimated conclusion that....

Cattman headers + y pipe gives you 25-27 whp
Racingline HF Precats + y pipe gives you 22-25 whp

W/ the racingline HF precats - you'll save probably $300-400 overall [installation & product cost] over the headers. You'll also not have to worry about gettin o2 simulators as you will not get a CEL* [as stated by racingline]

Saving $400 vs 5 whp... IMO ill go with saving $400 lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
So we spoke about this on my6thgen.org in this thread http://my6thgen.org/showthread.php?t=2680

We came to a estimated conclusion that....

Cattman headers + y pipe gives you 25-27 whp
Racingline HF Precats + y pipe gives you 22-25 whp

W/ the racingline HF precats - you'll save probably $300-400 overall [installation & product cost] over the headers. You'll also not have to worry about gettin o2 simulators as you will not get a CEL* [as stated by racingline]

Saving $400 vs 5 whp... IMO ill go with saving $400 lol.

+1
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM

Dun dun dun

The highflow precats are on now

my car has gotten an amazing gain

i gained power + the power from my clogged cats

it feels alot more then 15 horses to be honest

i will post some pics up by today or tomorrow

installation took 5 hours just because of some other issues with my car i had

this has to be done with a professional mech can't be done by yourself

and the car has gained alot of power overall

mid range and top end
Old 09-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Dun dun dun

The highflow precats are on now

my car has gotten an amazing gain

i gained power + the power from my clogged cats

it feels alot more then 15 horses to be honest

i will post some pics up by today or tomorrow

installation took 5 hours just because of some other issues with my car i had

this has to be done with a professional mech can't be done by yourself

and the car has gained alot of power overall

mid range and top end
I'm waiting for mine to come in as well. Any reason why you say that "this has to be done with a professional mech can't be done by yourself "? Just asking since I'm planning to install mine myself when they arrive.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM

I'm sure it can be done by yourself. Having an extra hand and beer will always be preferred. Just make sure you have all the tools needed and take your time. Man I will not be able to get these until mid this month. Post up pix taz394!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Dzaccord
I'm waiting for mine to come in as well. Any reason why you say that "this has to be done with a professional mech can't be done by yourself "? Just asking since I'm planning to install mine myself when they arrive.

well mine had a little issue with the y pipe not lining up , but we got it matched

and idk how anyone can do this without a lift

the back one has 2 bolts that need someone to be under the car and one person to turn the bolts from up top
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM

Link to pics

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....39#post7725239
Old 09-08-2010, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ducz24
I'm sure it can be done by yourself. Having an extra hand and beer will always be preferred. Just make sure you have all the tools needed and take your time. Man I will not be able to get these until mid this month. Post up pix taz394!
I'll see when they come in. I'm auto so I have to wait for them to become available and ship. So you may have yours before me unless you're auto as well...

well mine had a little issue with the y pipe not lining up , but we got it matched

and idk how anyone can do this without a lift

the back one has 2 bolts that need someone to be under the car and one person to turn the bolts from up top
Thanks for the clarification on this; any other tips that may be handy are def appreciated.
Thanks for the pics I can't wait until mine come in.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM

I removed my cats with the car on jackstands with a friend and had no problems
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

well my does have 120,000 miles already

and my cat bolts were rusted in quite bad

Quick Reply: Introducing new Racingline High flow Catalytic Converters