6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Steering Rack Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Steering Rack Adjustment

Has anyone done the steering rack adjustment themselves- not at the dealer. If so, what tool did you use? What was the outcome? Did it help eliminate the shimmy? Is there a way to turn down the boost on the power steering pump? The steering feels overboosted at highway speeds and allows the steering rack to wobble with the road imperfections rather than dampening those forces. We know that the shimmy is not caused by the tires, rotors, struts, end links, drive shafts, axles, hubs, rims, motor mounts, transmission issues and every other BS thing we have been told. On certain roads, primarily concrete highways there is no shimmy, but on asphalt which has many more road imperfections causes the wheel to shimmy. Does anyone know of anyone who was cured of the shimmy? Someone on here said before that they knew an engineer at Nissan who said that it was related to the steering rack design, which is what I believe is the root cause of the issue but it would cost Nissan millions to recall and repair this issue, which they won't do. Since the shimmy is not a "safety issue" but a quality issue the governement will not force them to fix it. Please share your thoughts.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Ok, I found the TSB for the Shimmy fix. First, it says to loosen the bolts holding the sway bar down. So I got under there and the bolts are 14mm but it doesn't have enough room for a rachet to fit. How have you guys that have changed your front sway bar gotten those bolts loose? Friggin impossible with hand tools. After the sway bar is loosened then it says a 24mm rachet will fit on the bolt and it needs to be turned 1/4 turn to the right and then by 1/8 until the shimmy is gone. Well, I am stuck b/c I can't get to it.

What I was able to do, with a little help from Deus, was tighten the center bolt on the steering wheel underneath the airbag. I was able to turn the center bolt @ 3/4 turn. I also tightened one of the linkages under the dash. My shimmy is still there on certain roads but I did notice, I think, that it is less than before.

I called my dealer to ask about the TSB, which was supposed to be done on a service call about 3 or 4 years ago but I don't think it was done. I went back thru my paperwork and it doesn't list it as being completed. The wheels were balanced on the Hunter machine but the rack wasn't adjusted. Even though I am past the warranty mileage, they should still cover the TSB work, correct?
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Anyone else? Mine is pretty bad with the shimmy thing
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 PM

sorry to grave dig, but this a good question as my steering wheel has a shimmy and im looking into getting this fixed.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 AM

The answer is here. I had it fixed and love driving on the highway now. Good luck.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...on-60-mph.html
Old 07-18-2011, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
The answer is here. I had it fixed and love driving on the highway now. Good luck.

awesome, i will bring in that thread to the dealer, but im having trouble finding a tsb web site that is free.. im searing "tsb 2004 nissan maxima" and im getting nothing. i even searched "04-085"which i think is the tsb number for the shimmy i got from another site wanting me to pay to view.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:45 PM

i have an 05 max. i really like my car but in all honesty i will never ever buy nissan again. i already had the tranny issues and had a rebuild....we'll see how long that last. now i have to to spend another 1000+ bucks just to have a smooth drive on the high way??? unbelievable!! i cant wait till i can trade in this car for anything other than a nissan.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by NYCMAXIMA
i have an 05 max. i really like my car but in all honesty i will never ever buy nissan again. i already had the tranny issues and had a rebuild....we'll see how long that last. now i have to to spend another 1000+ bucks just to have a smooth drive on the high way??? unbelievable!! i cant wait till i can trade in this car for anything other than a nissan.
Trade it for a 7th gen i having hear of any problems with that one , 7th gen are strong man can wait till i get me mines.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL

What's the date and number of the TSB?
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM

went to the dealership, told them about it. 15 min later they come get me cause they can't find the bolt, thanks to that pic i was able to show them, they adjusted it, the steering got a little bit better but didn't fix the problem. Now that i know the bolt isn't hiding behind a bunch of stuff like the other thread says ill tighten it another 1/4 turn myself and let yall know how that does.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:16 PM

i have had the steering rack on my 05 max adjusted like 4 times. 1/4 turn each time. the steering has gotten better, but im afraid to tighten it anymore. dont have the money for a new steering rack. the shimmy i get is almost nonexistent but it still gets annoying that as soon as i hit 60mph its there like stink on ***t.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:36 PM

No **** guys just adjust it yoursef.......

Got under the car, theres a 24mm bolt under the rack. I tightened it a good 1/4 turn.

Now the steering feel is more "solid", it's nice on the road, I think I prefer it, but it's a bit more annoying to park the car now cause you get "less power steering".

Just adjust it the way you like, no need to go to the dealer....
Old 08-01-2011, 10:49 AM

Ok so now im getting a clicking sound comming from the steering rack. Its low but i can only hear it when im driving slow like looking for parking. Steering still feels nice and tight only get the shimmy from 60-65mph. Hopefully this rack will last until tax time. Gonna get a new oem steering rack and p.