6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Getting ready to buy a 2004 Maxima, shall I run?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Getting ready to buy a 2004 Maxima, shall I run?

So after reading over many reviews, I am not sure what to do. I usually changed cars about once a year, but I am afraid I might get stuck with this one... I mean all the reviews of the bad transmission, makes me scared. What I don't get is that so many of you guys got them.. why?? Is it a hit and miss with them or really are they all bad?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:12 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...-purchase.html
Old 01-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Why are you changing cars that frequently???

Especially used cars, you're taking a beating with the depreciation...

If you're that frequent, get into new car leases, maybe 24 months...you'll be driving brand new, under warrantee, and just when you get bored, you're in a new ride. Lease price can sometimes be 2/3, even half what a monthly payment would be for buying the same car outright...

What I'm saying, for $300-$350, zero money down, you can drive a nice brand new car every two years...
Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL

Especially used cars, you're taking a beating with the depreciation...

If you're that frequent, get into new car leases, maybe 24 months...you'll be driving brand new, under warrantee, and just when you get bored, you're in a new ride. Lease price can sometimes be 2/3, even half what a monthly payment would be for buying the same car outright...

What I'm saying, for $300-$350, zero money down, you can drive a nice brand new car every two years...
because I usually make money on each car i sell.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

just test drive whatever you look at. see if it shifts hard when cold and until past warm. look for shimmying on highway. I mean just like any car.

mine is ok so far. changed fluid twice at 60k, will continue every 30k. I also drive slowly until fully warm. if it starts to slip, I'll get the kit added in the sticky.

almost 7 years and still love it.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikroehl
because I usually make money on each car i sell.
You buy a used car, drive it for a year or two and sell it and make profit off from the original purchase price?? lol how?
You must be buying super hondas? Tell me what the trick is.

As far as your post, I would say do not get a 2004. That year especially.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by hmr1979
You buy a used car, drive it for a year or two and sell it and make profit off from the original purchase price?? lol how?
You must be buying super hondas? Tell me what the trick is.

As far as your post, I would say do not get a 2004. That year especially.

Thanks. Well I usually buy one that looks like junk. Put my time into it and a little money, then when I sell it I have my friend who is a professional photopher take lots of photos and I sell it nationally rather than locally. I don't make much but usually end up making about 500-1000
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM

It depends on how the car was maintained see it you can get records of oil changes and tranny flush
Old 01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont buy an 04, save urself the headache.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a 04 its a great car but i would never buy another one, its a never ending money pit. I would say im getting my moneys worth concidering i had it all these years and its just now starting to give me headaches. Mines is a sl all stock i purchased it with 14k miles on it and didnt have any major isues until i got to about 95k sometime early last year. Now it seems like every month $300 here $200 there im putting into something to get fixed. Im at 115k now and cant wait to get rid of this thing. I love the 7 gen max but with all the issues this thing has given me in the past two years i doubt if im gonna step into one. Im thinking about a bmw 530 for my next ride. Just gotta find one at the right price.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM
SHIFT_my stick

DO NOT BUY AN 04
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Yeah, sure, take a lease and rent your car. Be sure not to go over t he miles also. I feel that a lease is the worst option you could take. Plus if your buying used cars, there is not much depreciation. Its like having an apartment compared to owning a house. You have money in the house and you can always sell the house. An apt is wasted money...
Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM

Not sure why people have had problems with their max. Mine is also an 04' and the tranny is as strong as it was when it was new. As long as it has been taken care of, it will run forever. I have never felt a smoother transmission to be honest.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Gram Lights addict

04 is first year of the 6th gen so its bound to be garbage. don't buy a 6th gen. get a real maxima !!!!!!!! 5.5 6spd !!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by dee.signs
Yeah, sure, take a lease and rent your car. Be sure not to go over t he miles also. I feel that a lease is the worst option you could take. Plus if your buying used cars, there is not much depreciation. Its like having an apartment compared to owning a house. You have money in the house and you can always sell the house. An apt is wasted money...
I'm of the same school of thought. However leasing works very well for certain demographics. There are people that just need current, reliable warrantee cars, and they can keep well under the mileage maximum.

Personally I average between 10-12k miles a year for the last 10 years...a lease would be good for me. But I like the car to be mine to do with what I will, it's a certain pride. But when you get down and do the math--payments, then future repairs after payments are done, all that jazz, I'm probably paying just as much for an aging car every year, if not more; and my wife is always in car less than 3 years old carrying a warrantee. She's been able to time it just right, to where she doesn't even replace tires, so that's another $800 I'm spending at least twice to 3 times with a car going 80,000+...

Naa, when it's all said and done and you crunch the numbers, Lease isn't as bad as it looks on the outside...it can be quite lucrative! Of course if you're always buying cars for under $10000, then it's not quite so comparable...
Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 AM

. She's been able to time it just right, to where she doesn't even replace tires, so that's another $800 I'm spending at least twice to 3 times with a car going 80,000+...

Naa, when it's all said and done and you crunch the numbers, Lease isn't as bad as it looks on the outside...it can be quite lucrative!
Payments on depreciating assets blow donkeys.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lblackonblackl
DO NOT BUY AN 04
This.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2004 se and have had no problems. Original owner 100K miles all stock no add on's. Would recommend as long as its been serviced properly.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Wait a second. As I understand there's a class action law suit against Nissan for the 5AT that's in the 05+ Maximas. The 04 Maxima has the same 4AT that was in the 02-03 which is a beefed up version from the 00-01's. I haven't heard of any 02-03 transmission problems really and I can personally I'm hard on mine and it drives as if its new with 130K on it. So why exactly are the 04's not recommended? What's wrong that year specifically that's has inferior parts?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by FlawleZ
Wait a second. As I understand there's a class action law suit against Nissan for the 5AT that's in the 05+ Maximas. The 04 Maxima has the same 4AT that was in the 02-03 which is a beefed up version from the 00-01's. I haven't heard of any 02-03 transmission problems really and I can personally I'm hard on mine and it drives as if its new with 130K on it. So why exactly are the 04's not recommended? What's wrong that year specifically that's has inferior parts?

The 04 SE has a 5AT and the SL has the 4AT. OP if you want to get a 04 Max either get a SL or a 6 speed SE (Preferably with Nav and Elite if you can find one)
Old 06-24-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by mitrals
The 04 SE has a 5AT and the SL has the 4AT. OP if you want to get a 04 Max either get a SL or a 6 speed SE (Preferably with Nav and Elite if you can find one)
Oh ok. Well thanks for clearing that up. Good to know.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Whatever year you decide on, just get a manual. I test drove an automatic and manual when I got mine. The manual definitely gives it the sporty feel. The automatic sucks as bad as the 5.5 gen (bring on the butt hurt parade).
Old 06-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Whatever year you decide on, just get a manual. I test drove an automatic and manual when I got mine. The manual definitely gives it the sporty feel. The automatic sucks as bad as the 5.5 gen (bring on the butt hurt parade).
I won't argue one bit the 6 speed is superior in all aspects to the 4AT in the 5.5gen. However, my Maxima is my daily driver and my 300ZX is the gear rowing turbo monster for the street. But if I were to only have a Maxima, I'd grab a 6 speed more than likely.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM

If you get a lease and go over the miles it can some times be forgiven if you roll into another lease. Leasing companies are kind of forgiving for people that re-lease.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM

I have an 04 SL and i have 87k with 5AT... my carfax report says transmission was replaced around 50+k....my transmission does **** amazing when getting on it but sometime theres a slight harsh 2nd to 3rd shift but thats only within the first 25 minutes of the car being on after that everything is amazing... I only put 7,xxx miles on it but i love it, only problem i have and hate is the cd player speakers cut out sometimes i hate that but everything else is gravy
Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM

Run away from Nissan as far as you can

I have owned my Maxima for about a year and 4 months. First Nissan and last Nissan I will ever own.

Had issues from the get go, clutch sticking and not wanting to engage, lucky for me the seller that I bought it from paid for the issues (Clutch Master Cylinder) replaced at 67K miles?

Don’t let the phase get a 6 speed manual its superior to the AT, wrong...Worst shifting car I have ever driven...I’ve let friends drive it and they have said what a funky shifter

I got the dreaded plastic tensioners issue within 2 months from owning it $1300 had been happening for about 10k-15k before so subtract 67k miles - 10k miles = 57k miles. Unacceptable and shows how Nissan is chit

Chrome molding issue has shown up, easy fix but why should I have too?

Chrome rims are peeling, again wonderful Nissan product

When it rains, it drips inside my car, thanks to that wonderful moon roof that has been recalled and fixed and still drips...Nissan wonderful care

Another issue that shows and goes away is I lose my speedometer, seems it works at times and at other times it stays at 0 ….Yeah Nissan way to build them

My most recent wonderful experience with this Maxima...Let’s play what’s that water sound behind my glove box? Ac goes out and I check the radiator....hmmm its low...fill it up ....check again ...its low...wonderful a leak...The car is at a friend’s shop to see where my major leak is at...did I tell you there was no Freon in the system?

In my mind this car is effin sold already, I’m done with this car...

I'm glad there’s post like this to show what a POS the 04 is.

Nissan further makes themselves look like bastards by not fixing the issues that are clearly quality control problems

Last edited by FenderGuy; 06-27-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 AM

my 04 is just fine
Old 06-28-2011, 05:07 AM

I have and 04 and it runs nice feel like a jet when i take off love it , this is the reason when i got it so cheap cause the dude that sold it to me though something was wrong with the tranny and it was nothing wrong , all i had to do is rewire the wire that go to the resistor to the solenoid and after that 100% condition if i told him that was the only thing wrong with it he will be mad , with that said get the 04 if you can get it for a good price very nice car.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM

I will throw in my 2 cents.

I own two (yes two not one. lol) bought both used and over $100K miles. The SL runs great and the SE is not far behind. The sound system (stock) in SE is actually better Go figure. Boss does not necessarily mean better ?

I replaced the tensionsers on the SE.

Changed t-fluids in both.

Transmission shift is almost identical in both. When cold, you can feel slight jerk between 2 and 3 but once it warms up, it is silky smooth in both. I know eventually I have to replace the valve body. We shall see.

The SL with the works (leather, heated seats, nav, split seats in the rear) is just an awesome car. I still have people asking me if I want to sell either of the cars.

What helped me was me running into this forum. I learnt a LOT about maxima thanks to this great website.

OP, like someone else suggested, get an 04 if you know it has been maintained well and ofcourse make sure you test drive it thoroughly.

Known problems in the 04

1) ticking noise - must replace tensioners as soon as you hear the noise - $1000-1200
2) transmission - make sure the fluid is checked frequently and changed - potential valve body replacement or get the kit - $1000 ?
3) ABS kicks in during normal driving conditions - could be expensive if you have to replace the module
4) Wheel shimmy - my SE has this. Well more like the wheel wobbling when I go over a bump or a pothole in my case. This is definitely annoying
5) Precats going bad - Not sure what the expense here is. I dont think this issue is that prevelant in the 6th Gen Maximas. I could be wrong.
6) CD player does go bad - SE kept chewing it so I dont use it anymore.

Great things

1) I love the style
2) Takes off like a rocket. lol
3) Good gas milelage on express way - 25 to 28 depending on the season ofcourse
Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM

I've Learned To Buy A Car That's On It's Last Year Year Before The Redesign... The Cabin Of The 6 Gens Are FUGLY.. 7 Inch Screen Looks Stupid With No Navi... 6.5 Gen Easily Has The Better Refinements Of The Two
Old 06-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Just buy a Z

You know you want one
Old 06-29-2011, 06:45 PM

Just got my car back $20 ac fix, loose fittings and freon recharge from a friend I got lucky. It blows cold and I am happy, but not happy enough to keep the car.

If you're asking the board for advice, they have given it to you. In the end the car is known to have issues unless they have been fixed. For me a year and 4 months is enough, I learned and drove. On to my next car
Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought an 04 SE and love it!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Just bought an 04 SE 6spd .

Previous owner already did the 07 front end conversion

Just need to get the 6.5 gen wing and rear bumper to complete the look.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 se

I'm the original owner of a 2004 se and its been the best car i have owned. Currently have 105,000 miles and other than the usual maintenance isues no major problems. I would recommend a Maxima to anyone. Stop all the bs with all the problems sounds like a lot of whinners on this forum.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM

04 SE with DPP - had the car since 2007, love it -0 issues!!

only way i'll part with it is if i grab the E60 or the GTR....
Old 07-06-2011, 04:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have to disagree with Fenderguy that Nissans are crap. It's just like any other car, you have to make sure it has been maintained. I have owned an 86.5 Nissan truck that was amazing and didn't cost me more than $100 in repairs above normal maintenance in over five years of ownership. I also have a 2000 Maxima SE that I purchased with 120k miles and I still have it with 175k miles. Again, five yearss and the only things I've had to replace are struts, tires (both normal wear and tear), and the MAF. It is now starting to have issues, but, again, it has 175k miles and I haven't maintained it as well as I should have. Even if you take the $1,500 in needed repairs now and average that over the five year ownership history, it's been a cheap car to own. We've all had bad cars. My wife's first car was a Honda that was garbage. The next one we owned was bullet proof and was only retired after being totalled in an accident. Had I taken Fenderguy's approach, I never would have purchased another Honda after the first.

I think in the end you have to look at rating agencies and what they have to say about different used cars. It's not that the people on these boards haven't experienced these issues; they obviously have. However, boards like these also attract people who have had a problem to begin with. There are thousands of other Maxima owners out there who have never had an issue with their car. Again, I'm not saying the opinions aren't valid, it's just that you have to look at the reasons most people are on these boards to begin with. I read all the reviews prior to purchasing my 2000 SE and everything pointed to it being a good car. There was mention of the coil issue but that was about it. Then I joined this forum for advice on a few things and after reading the posts, it sounded like I should have run far and fast from that car even though I've owned it trouble-free for five years.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 04 maxi has been excellent to me, other than the normal wear and tear. It's pampered me way more than I can imagine... If you like the price, jump for it!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:07 PM

2004 Maxima most reliable car I have ever owned. 4 years no issues, and not 1 time to a mechanic. I change my own fluids.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:08 PM

[quote=DennyLWheeler;8110591]I have to disagree with Fenderguy that Nissans are crap.quote]

My car before the Nissan was a 1983 911 that had to be maintained to higher standards than the Maxima due it aircooled engine. The maxima requires oil changes, air, oil, cabin filters. Its a more modern car than that 911, yet it seems to fall apart more than the 911 ever did.

This board has shown too many issues that Maxima owners are experiencing, not all, but enough to say there is issue with quality.

I bought my car at 67k miles, thinking a lower mile car would be better. Off the bat:

Plastic tensioner issues, which is a known issue on the board happened and had been happening for since 55k miles, normal?

My Master Cylinder had to be replaced at 67k miles, again Normal?

I really would chalk it up to I got a bad batched car, but Nissan further makes the matter worse when the customer service and dealership tip toes around issues that Nissan owners are experiencing.

My dealership refused to see my car after I filed a complaint with Nissan on my moon roof leaking, which I was told it had been repaired as per the service bulletin. I was told by Nissan customer service that I could take it to another dealership and I would be charged to check out why the moonroof is leaking.

My complaints are legit and I see no reason why this car would have so many damn issues other than the fact of the poor quality of parts on this model and year.

The owners that have not experienced any issues bravo to them, but the forums seems to state that a lot of owners are experiencing issues that just seem out of the norm for a company that prides itself on reliability.

Last edited by FenderGuy; 07-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Getting ready to buy a 2004 Maxima, shall I run?