6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Resonator delete please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Resonator delete please read

Hello guys, I am getting ready to put some cutouts in my car. I want to keep everything stock with it closed minus the resonator and put the cutout where the resonator would be. I was confident it was going to sound good until i stumbled across some forum posts saying it gives it the bees in the can sound. I REALLY really don't want that sound. that horrible ricey sound. however, i deleted the resonator on my 97 max along with 2.75" inch pipe, high flow cat and magnaflow muffler and it sounded awesome. no raspy sound.
Is deleting the resonator installing 2.75" pipe and putting in a cutout going to make my car sound like crap with the cutout open?
should i get a smaller resonator installed before the cutout?
in the case, will getting a different resonator be enough to sound good?
I would like to get rid of that massive resonator, drop some weight have a larger diameter pipe running from the headers all the way to the mufflers.
I am aiming for that rich deep sound i got out of my 97 max. hoping to get some more muscle car sound with the added .5 liters

please don't tell me to go get a full exhaust done, i am going through this trouble because that is exactly what i do not want. I like my car quiet the majority of the time. its luxurious

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-02-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:34 AM

3" custom or youre gay
Old 03-02-2011, 12:49 AM

i want 3 inch but everyone keeps saying no noo nooo, you will lose too much torque blah blah blah..
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 AM

ok i may have posted a little premature because i am starting to realize i need a resonator. (unless im wrong and ill be fine without one, still need some input) so i've found this one. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-10436
is it really going to make a difference in sound/performance, or am i complaining too much about the stock res, and should just keep it were its at. feeeeedback. i promise to post videos since im sorta pioneering this maxima cutout thing.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:05 AM

Unless you are turboed, a 3" exhaust is a waste and you will lose low end power. 2.5" is perfect.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 AM
KC's FINEST

No resonator sounds horrible. I tried it.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 AM
And... I'm out

Originally Posted by RAZ76
Unless you are turboed, a 3" exhaust is a waste and you will lose low end power. 2.5" is perfect.
You 6th gen guys still under this impression?

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...rder-here.html

I'm not sure of the other dyno graphs out there for 2.5 vs 3 but those are mine in that thread and I can tell you my car made a LOT more power with 2.5" Y to 3" rearthan my previous 2.5" Y to 2.5" rear. Don't see how that would differ on a 6th gen.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by RAZ76

wrong. you gain upwards of 15hp.!! on the top end of course...
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
No resonator sounds horrible. I tried it.
+1
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 AM

wow thanks guys. I have to say, i had 2.75 on my 3.0 liter '97 and i did lose some back pressure. but SO WHAT! its an automatic and if i really stomped my foot down to use all the torque in the 0-3 rpm range my tires would just spin. so its unusable torque why preserve it and cut off the power in the upper range is what i keep sayin. with the larger engine i really don't see why the 3" is too big.

so im convinced the resonator stays.

has anyone ever cut the pipe behind the resonator and seen what it sounds like? does the long resonator muffle the sound a lot or will its sound be noticeable to the cars around me?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 AM

oh and thanks KCmaxx, good lookin. i will take your word for it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 AM

does anyone know how heavy the stock resonator is?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM

Why wouldn't you try a high performance resonator like magnaflow?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:36 PM

well this is why. because knowing now that the resonator is what prevents the bees in the can sound. i don't know if a high flow resonator like magna flow will be enough to stop that sound when not used in conjunction with a muffler.. im getting to the point where im just going to go for it and find out.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
well this is why. because knowing now that the resonator is what prevents the bees in the can sound. i don't know if a high flow resonator like magna flow will be enough to stop that sound when not used in conjunction with a muffler.. im getting to the point where im just going to go for it and find out.
and if it doesn't work out, sell it to a noob on eBay lol
Old 03-02-2011, 06:07 PM

haha for sure. Well I ordered an SLP performance resonator, and the cutout. im also going to put in 3" piping. I am expecting to get it between march 4th-7th so a few days. the second i get it ill be on my way to the shop and I will get back on this thread and post videos before and after so you all can see how it goes. so wish me luck. I will also report performance gains. with 3" piping and everything open after the resonator, i should achieve zero pressure in the exhaust making maximum high rpm power. ill lose a bit in the lower range but who cares no one races at 2 rpm and ill see the gains after 4rpm where these engines' torque curve is at its peak. the cutout is electric and adjustable so i can control the amount of back pressure i want and see what responds best

if this works out. i will find a way of automatically opening the valve on the cutout proportionate to rpm range, like my motorcycle. i.e. valve closes from 1-2 rpm, 1/8 open 3rpm 1/2 open at 4rpm, 3/4 open at 5 rpm fully open at 6rpm. this way i don't lose any torque in any range. my buddy did exactly this on his TA and has dyno'd proof of its superiority to a fixed exhaust. ill just steal his design.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got a 3in X pipe no res or secondary cat, sounds great
Old 03-02-2011, 07:27 PM

bam 3" exhaust and magnaflow resonator and muffler
Old 03-03-2011, 06:18 AM

I went gettho and removed both the 3rd cat plus the resonator and added a straigth pipe. Still on stock muffler, now with a little bit of sound now from the stock mufflers but I can really feel the difference, the engines feels smother accelerating. I'll post pics when I upload them
Old 03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I removed the resonator and have a AEM CAI with NWP spacers and via...plus the Ypipe with free flow cat and custom pipe to the original mufflers....amazing sound...
Old 03-03-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by perkman87
wrong. you gain upwards of 15hp.!! on the top end of course...
I wasn't talking a bout high end buddy, go back and read my response please. If this guy is a 1/4 mile racer and slaps a 3" exhaust on it, he will be very disappointed. It's like with intakes, short rams for more throttle and low end power and CAI for high end power.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:00 PM

ok. this needs to be corrected once an for all.

the physics of an internal combustion engine are plan and simple. race cars, including F1, funny cars, dragsters, nascar, ect... they ALL achieve ZERO pressure in their exhaust systems. This promotes the best power gain possible in high rpm. the range in which all of these cars operate. its not up for debate that is the facts.

now we don't have race cars we have regular street cars, but the principal still applies. for those of us who have automatics, there is no way to bypass the 0-3 rpm that does better with some back pressure. back pressure in low RPM gives torque.

here is why it doesn't matter.

when you are at a stand still, and are getting ready to mash in the throttle, automatic transmission cars will inevitably use the 0-3 rpm range but only for a few seconds. what you lose in low end torque you more then make up for it in the high end. when you are WOT and go into second gear, you don't go below the 3, so why on earth would you sacrifice top end power where the huge majority of your acceleration takes place for less then 3 seconds of low end torque????? why? thats stupid.

take it from the experts who invest billions upon billions in research to squeeze the most power out of an engine. they say zero pressure,

i looked everywhere for the post where a guy from this forum went from 2.5" to 3" and dyno'd the results. he gained a significant amount of HP and Torque with the 3" you will have to take my word for it unless someone here knows who im talking about.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM

i will let you guys know my results. my parts will be here tomorrow and ill be in the shop first thing to put them on. ill take before and afters on sound and performance. ill even close the cutouts half way to preserve some back pressure to prove its best wide open.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM

ive thought about e-cutouts but i thought the spacing underneath would pose a problem.

i was looking at:
http://www.dmhperformance.com/index.html
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 AM

those look good, but you can get cutouts cheaper then that, summit racing has them for 130

we should have plenty of space to fit a cutout. ill take some pics of where i put it
Old 03-04-2011, 06:27 PM

ok guys i got the the exhaust done ill post some videos tonight.. all i gotta say now is it sounds MEAN as F&$#.. its like a muscle car and F1 car reving together in beautiful harmony .
Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 PM

ok guys i got the the exhaust done ill post some videos tonight.. all i gotta say now is it sounds MEAN as F&$#.. its like a muscle car and F1 car reving together in beautiful harmony .
Been there done that. Loved the sound, hated the interior noise and so did everyone else. You have that missle living under your car, it serves its purpose.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...r-10436-a.html
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM

waitin for pix
Old 03-04-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gollum67
Been there done that. Loved the sound, hated the interior noise and so did everyone else. You have that missle living under your car, it serves its purpose.

http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...r-10436-a.html

That is why i have electric cutouts.. so i can turn it on when i want it, and turn it off when i want quiet.

and sorry i didn't post the vids tonight, its too late to start it up.. but its on my first things to do tomorrow list.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 PM

i originally wanted to do the whole resonator delete as well...but ended up getting a racingline ypipe mated to the greddy sp2. sounds good!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM

ok sorry i didn't snap the finished product. i was too excited and lowered the car to hear the sound it makes revving. but this is pretty much it. after the cut out i put a pipe in to connect it back up to the stock pipe to stock mufflers.

in all, i deleted the resonator, and replaced it with a sort of resonator (just a hollow tube that expands to 4" in the middle back down to 3" from the inlet to outlet, and the cutout. thats it.

i tried the sound it made with the resonator cut off from the outlet, and it sounded like i didn't do anything. no a very good sound. all that resonator is, is a huge muffler. after i took it off all the way? WOOOAAAHHH NELLY! i was personally surprised. it got loud.

ill take some videos later today, and post those up also, i went out to do it just now, but i have neighbors outside working on their cars, and i don't want them to get all pissy. also with the resonator gone, and the cutout disengaged, the car is quiet. its not as quiet as it was with the resonator in, but its not that noticeable, it would sound quieter than if you jumped into a bone stock mustang gt. the volume stayed the same, there is just a deeper sound upon hard acceleration. while coasting at a consistent speed, you can't hear a thing like before. so my idea worked out beautifully.

with the electric cutout, i will be able to adjust the volume on my car like a stereo

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 PM

just went to wendys.. got wheel spin all through 1st, and into 2nd gear all the while sounding like i was ripping up and eating the concrete... hows that for your backpressure
Old 03-05-2011, 03:35 PM

k here is the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-Jgo0PjCY

just an fyi, the camera does not pick up on the sound very well. It does show that it doesn't sound bad, but it definitely sounds 10X better in person. the crackles seem to be amplified, and the tone is a bit distorted, and the camera just plan does not pick up on the richness. it sounds like a modded up early 70's muscle car in person. NO cheep ricey bees in a can sound. and the sound does not not sound raw and unorganized, i like it a lot. in all it worked out just the way i wanted it.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 03-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM

Sounds like a$$, later that day you meet your buddy's in their civics, right?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM

i think it sounds good
Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 PM

eat s#!t razmataz, your opinion doesn't count here <----
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 AM

eat s#!t razmataz, your opinion doesn't count here <----
STFU and go mod that POS.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 AM

my pos? you mean the pos that is the same make, same model, same generation, same engine, same color, same car as yours? oh wait, but you just have the cheaper, SE trim.. yeah, hows that stupid useless slit in your roof?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:57 AM

this is what I did to mine, this is just temporary until I get back from my deployment... Gettho yes, but cheap( $30 )mod I deleted the 3rd cat here in PR they aren't very concern about cat's
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 AM

hows that stupid useless slit in your roof?
It's useless as ever but do you got one of these ?? How's that automatic?

Last edited by RAZ76; 03-06-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Resonator delete please read