6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM

LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]

Got a chance to finally convert my buddy's 6th gen and the results were amazing! I was surprised at how many more bulbs there are on a 6th gen compared to the 5th gen.

The Results:

Last edited by Tyutyunnik; 10-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 PM

The Write Up:

Stock front map lights. The Cover is a little tricky, you have the pry the bottom corners out first (near the switches) and then it slides out.

Cover comes off, two festoon type bulbs.

Replaced with a 9 LED board. Comparison to stock.

Both lights replaced.

Cover goes back on.

Moving onto the rear stock map lights. You can either pop the whole module out or just the cover, I did just the cover because its easier to test the LEDs when you put them in this way.

Cover comes off, another two festoon type bulbs on the inside.

I took off the black metal piece and threw it out, you don't really need it there since the LEDs cover the whole thing anyways.

Replaced one with an LED board, comparison to stock.

Both lights replaced.

Cover goes back on.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Moving down below, footwell lighting, small 168 bulb.

You can either slide your arm under the plastic and take out the socket, or you can just pull it out which is what I did. Nissan decided to put a condom on these ones for some reason.

Replaced it with a 6 LED board and stuck it using the double sided tape on the back. Repeat for the passenger side.

Moving on to the door lights. Cover just pops off.

Another 168 bulb on the inside.

Replaced with a 6 LED board. You could use a multi directional LED if you want the red to still shine through but I only wanted the ground to be lit up.

Cover back on. Repeat for all four doors.

Stock licence plate bulb.

You have to take off four clips to get the liner off to reach the bulbs.

Liner comes off, twist and pull the socket.

Another 168 bulb.

Replaced with a 5 LED bulb.

Put it all back and repeat for the other side.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Trunk light has a small cover on it, pops off with a screwdriver.

Yet another 168 bulb.

Replaced with a 5 LED bulb.

Cover back on.

And thats basically it!

Total install time: about 20 min.
Total bulbs replaced: 13

Comments/questions/feedback welcome!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM

i think this should be sticked, am gonna be using this guide soon as i get my car, and its very detailed with hi res images which makes it very dummy proof for ppl like me XD
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM

I totally agree that this should be a sticky too. A lot of newbies will benefit a lot from this. Wished there was this type of thing when I started out. It would of helped me a lot.

Awesome work on the write up man.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:17 PM

so this complete (13pc) kit is $110 shipped, correct?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Not a bad price for all those LED's
Old 04-15-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MadMaxx11225
i think this should be sticked, am gonna be using this guide soon as i get my car, and its very detailed with hi res images which makes it very dummy proof for ppl like me XD
Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
I totally agree that this should be a sticky too. A lot of newbies will benefit a lot from this. Wished there was this type of thing when I started out. It would of helped me a lot.

Awesome work on the write up man.
Thanks guys

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
so this complete (13pc) kit is $110 shipped, correct?
Yessir $110 shipped for all the bulbs/adaptors, 100% plug and play. PM me if you want more info.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM

cool! whats the warranty on these?

also, whats ur PP address? i have a 6th gen, very interesteD!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM

cool! whats the warranty on these?

also, whats ur PP address? i have a 6th gen, very interesteD!
PMed
Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 PM

No problem, good luck on your sale.

By the way, this is an AWESOME price for all the led's that a person gets with this kit. Saves a good amount of money and the hassle of getting all these led's together.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 04-18-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM

I received my package yesterday and it was well packed! I should hopefully have these installed this weekend. thanks again Alex!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM

Look real real great. Very good job. It's amazing how much different LED bulbs are from regular stock bulbs. They are so much brighter and make everything look cleaner. Great job
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
No problem, good luck on your sale.

By the way, this is an AWESOME price for all the led's that a person gets with this kit. Saves a good amount of money and the hassle of getting all these led's together.
I received my package yesterday and it was well packed! I should hopefully have these installed this weekend. thanks again Alex!
Originally Posted by xspanishxkidx
Look real real great. Very good job. It's amazing how much different LED bulbs are from regular stock bulbs. They are so much brighter and make everything look cleaner. Great job
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Feel free to post pics of your installs, I'd love to see how they turned out.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow this is nice, green color would be sick too.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:12 AM

A+
Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by saifjweda
wow this is nice, green color would be sick too.
Completely agree with you on that one
Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM

Any pictures on a 6th gen?
Old 05-03-2011, 07:50 PM

there are tons of pictures in the original post!
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 PM

Awesome lights. Look amazing in the car. So amazing I kept a set that was supposed to be in the wifes Maxima and put them in my Honda S2000! Shhhhh... Let's hope she doesn't notice.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:30 PM

ok who is the person thats selling these , and i want to know if they have it in red thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:35 PM

It's Tyutyunnik. You should give him a pm and see if he got them in that color.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow, these are the best I have seen. Do u have indicator bulbs for 04 max?
Old 06-17-2011, 10:00 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...nk-lights.html
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 PM

I need them in red please get back to me.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:57 PM

Great write up, the gf wants this done her Maxima, at least exterior wise, she prefers the warm yellow glow for the interior. I guess for her makeup purposes and whatnot, haha.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the great feedback guys!

Originally Posted by bluenosepitz
Wow, these are the best I have seen. Do u have indicator bulbs for 04 max?
I'm just gonna clear a few things up on the signal lights.

Converting your turn signals to LEDs gets very complicated on any vehicle and I'll explain why. The turn signal circuit is dependent on the resistance of the load (bulbs in this case) to determine the speed at which the signal flashes. In simple terms, putting in LEDs will make the signal flash too fast resulting in unwanted attention from the police AND you will look like a 16 year old ricer (no offence to any 16 year olds on the org).

Second issue that we reach is that most stock bulbs are putting out a large amount of light, usually anywhere from 20-30 watts per bulb which is significantly more than the interior. This makes it very hard to either match or improve the brightness of the stock bulb and also makes it really hard to see in the daytime if you do. Stock LED bulbs (Subaru Impreza, the new Camry etc..) , are different because they are spaced out and engineered from the factory to be bright, visible, and aimed towards your eye as opposed to cramming 500 LEDs into one socket which the stock reflector housing just wasn't made for. This applies to brake and signal lights.

The obvious solutions are to put a load resistor in and to put even more LEDs but this kinda defeats the whole purpose of LEDs in the first place (lower energy and heat consumption).

I'm not the kinda guy to just grab a random bulb and sell it to someone claiming that it will work properly when I know it won't. With that said, I'm currently working on a solution to the above problems but for now the brake and signal lights wont be available for the Maxima. When I do get a solid solution I will definitely post it up here.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 PM

great pics...I will pm you for where you ordered the LED's
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LED LIGHTS

how much just for the trunk, front and back map, under dash, and door lights shipped to 37110 for a 6th gen with ELITE package?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

front dome light - map slit light!

Hey, Im a noob here and I got my reverse, dome, under, and door lights done.. but not as bring at yours since they were led bulbs not the sheet of lights but can we swtich the map lights out too? the little orange slit in between your front dome lights....???
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice

Nice write up,....
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
Got a chance to finally convert my buddy's 6th gen and the results were amazing! I was surprised at how many more bulbs there are on a 6th gen compared to the 5th gen.

The Results:

where did you order all your bulbs
Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

GREAT write up!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cup holder light

Hi guys,

There's a little light between the driver and passenger dome light which lights up the cup holder.

Anyone know how to changes it and what's size of bulb ?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mdn101
Hi guys,

There's a little light between the driver and passenger dome light which lights up the cup holder.

Anyone know how to changes it and what's size of bulb ?

Thanks
I converted my '05 but haven't done the doors yet.
As I live in St. Louis, superbrightleds.com is in my backyard and is where I got my bulbs.

Here are the part numbers and locations.
Map Lights and Rear Dome - DE3175 LED Bulb - p/n 3022-AHP4 - 4 SMD LED Festoon - cool white color

Light between front map lights -194 LED Bulb - p/n WLED-AHP5 - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base (I got mine in amber to maintain the color scheme in the car)

Courtesy lights under dash -194 LED Bulb - p/n WLED-CWHP15-TAC - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower

As far as my trunk, I haven't scrapped the incandescent bulb in the deck but I have added two white LED strips from Wal-Mart of all places. The LED strips are about 5 inches long and I have them mounted to the trunk liner and wired directly to the deck light so they come on and go off with opening and closing the deck lid. I'll get pictures for you all later.

As far as changing the bulb in the overhead console, there are two screws that anchor it to the roof inside the drop out pocket. Remove the screws and then work your fingers around the edges of the console pulling down gently but firmly to dislodge the metal retainer clips from the roof. Careful, there is a harness that plugs into the board to supply power. Remove the harness and carefully remove the circuit board from the console housing. The reqular bulb is installed in a twist lock styled base and is easy to remove from the board. The bulb is a pain to remove from the base but if you carefully pry up on the bulb where it meets the base with a precision flat head screw drive it will come out. I used a knife and stabbed my finger, ouch. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal.

Mike in STL.

Last edited by vertigo72480; 07-01-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Some pictures of the LED strips in my trunk. Unfortunately, they don't do justice to how much better the lighting really is.
Attached Thumbnails LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]-img_20130626_222408_949.jpg   LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]-img_20130626_222415_435.jpg   LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]-img_20130626_222339_114.jpg  
Old 07-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Best Place to Purchase LEDs for Interior Conversion?

Hey vertigo, I wanted to know what you thought of the quality of the LEDs from superbrightleds.com. I am interested in changing up my MAP, Rear Dome, Courtesy Lights, and under door lights.

To the rest of the forum, does anyone else have suggestions for places to buy LEDs? I'm a bit late to the game and doesn't seem like the users that used to sell kits are still doing so. I've seen v-led.com pop up searching through the forum, but just wanted some more suggestions.

Originally Posted by vertigo72480
I converted my '05 but haven't done the doors yet.
As I live in St. Louis, superbrightleds.com is in my backyard and is where I got my bulbs.

Here are the part numbers and locations.
Map Lights and Rear Dome - DE3175 LED Bulb - p/n 3022-AHP4 - 4 SMD LED Festoon - cool white color

Light between front map lights -194 LED Bulb - p/n WLED-AHP5 - 5 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base (I got mine in amber to maintain the color scheme in the car)

Courtesy lights under dash -194 LED Bulb - p/n WLED-CWHP15-TAC - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower

As far as my trunk, I haven't scrapped the incandescent bulb in the deck but I have added two white LED strips from Wal-Mart of all places. The LED strips are about 5 inches long and I have them mounted to the trunk liner and wired directly to the deck light so they come on and go off with opening and closing the deck lid. I'll get pictures for you all later.

As far as changing the bulb in the overhead console, there are two screws that anchor it to the roof inside the drop out pocket. Remove the screws and then work your fingers around the edges of the console pulling down gently but firmly to dislodge the metal retainer clips from the roof. Careful, there is a harness that plugs into the board to supply power. Remove the harness and carefully remove the circuit board from the console housing. The reqular bulb is installed in a twist lock styled base and is easy to remove from the board. The bulb is a pain to remove from the base but if you carefully pry up on the bulb where it meets the base with a precision flat head screw drive it will come out. I used a knife and stabbed my finger, ouch. Reinstallation is the reverse of removal.

Mike in STL.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 PM

I sell kits (see my sig)
Old 07-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mistrymax
Hey vertigo, I wanted to know what you thought of the quality of the LEDs from superbrightleds.com. I am interested in changing up my MAP, Rear Dome, Courtesy Lights, and under door lights.

To the rest of the forum, does anyone else have suggestions for places to buy LEDs? I'm a bit late to the game and doesn't seem like the users that used to sell kits are still doing so. I've seen v-led.com pop up searching through the forum, but just wanted some more suggestions.

This is not the first time I have purchased LEDs from superbrightleds.com. I have used them for Titan as well and plan on converting all my father's low voltage lighting to LED as well. Great, and I really do mean great customer service, fantastic product, long life, well built, and I think lifetime warranty too. Certainly a good buy.

Quick Reply: LED Conversion Write-up Doors/Domes/Map/Licence/Trunk [Pic Heavy]