6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Car started itself - no remote start system installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 AM

Car started itself - no remote start system installed

I came out to my car this morning and found it running. The doors were unlocked and it was sitting there idling. What makes this very strange is that there is no remote starter installed in the car. It had not been running for long as the temperature had not come up yet, but this is very concerning.

There were no keys in it, so I put my key in, turned it ahead and drove away. While I was driving, the heater fan started to increase in speed as the car came up to temperature ( as if it were on auto climate control ), but the auto option was not selected.

Any thoughts on my elecrical bugs? No trouble lights of any sort, car works great, and only 'add on' I have on the car of any sort is aftermarket HID kit I bought from a supplier on this site.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:55 AM

An 05 right, you don't have the key transmitter like on the 07-08 right?

I mean, you actually have to put in a key and turn it...

Ignition switch in the column is the first place I'd be looking, but man, what a serious security problem. Can't leave it in the garage, can't leave it outside...

Are you certain someone isn't pulling your chain? Girlfriend/wife prankin' you?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah that's definetely something you want to get fixed. I've heard of haunted houses but haunted maximas..wtf.

Reminds me of before I got my max and I had an 08 altima coupe. First week I had it, I had turned the car off then realized the windows were down so i guess I turned it back on not realizing it. Went into work, came out six hours later car was running but locked in the parking lot. Felt pretty stupid. It was weird getting used to the whole keyless entry thing. Figured i'd share a useless story.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:35 AM

im pretty sure you have a remote start in that car man. It takes a module and a very specific configuration of wires and connections and circuitry and an actual device called a "BRAIN" to manage the ignition of a car.

This is a plus for you. Go to audio express or a car alarm place and have them tell you what kinda system you have, get a remote for it and enjoy.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
An 05 right, you don't have the key transmitter like on the 07-08 right?

I have an 04 and my key has a transponder.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

You are correct, I have no means ( to my knowledge ) of starting the car without the key. As one poster indicated, perhaps I do and just don't know it. I'm used to seeing antenna's and kill switches in the engine bay to prevent it from starting while the hood is open... all of those tell tale items are absent from this car.

I will take it to an audio place to have them look for something that indicates I have one. As indicated, that would be preferable since it is an easy fix. It is quite concerning that it starts and unlocks itself.

One person who suggested someone is playing a trick on me, not possible. My wife is actually working in a different province right now and i have the only key / key fob ( lock/unlock doors /trunk ) and live alone.

For now I'm just disconnecting the battery when I park it.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by drose
You are correct, I have no means ( to my knowledge ) of starting the car without the key. As one poster indicated, perhaps I do and just don't know it. I'm used to seeing antenna's and kill switches in the engine bay to prevent it from starting while the hood is open... all of those tell tale items are absent from this car.

I will take it to an audio place to have them look for something that indicates I have one. As indicated, that would be preferable since it is an easy fix. It is quite concerning that it starts and unlocks itself.

One person who suggested someone is playing a trick on me, not possible. My wife is actually working in a different province right now and i have the only key / key fob ( lock/unlock doors /trunk ) and live alone.

For now I'm just disconnecting the battery when I park it.

that sucks man, i hope you figure it out soon. again, If you don't acutally have some aftermarket alarm/remote start system in your car, you will have the first, impossibly questionable car. knowing how remote start works, i just can not wrap my brain around how on EARTH it could POSSIBLY start on its own. its as likely as your washing machine starting on its own.

let us know what you find out. really interested in this one
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM

I don't know if this will help you anyway but here is what happened to me once. I went out for shopping one day and I parked my car in parking lot. I then got out of my car and pressed the car lock key on my keychain remote fob in my own god damn world. But here is how that interfered someone else world as well. There was one jeep that was parked several parking spot away and that jeed freaked out. I had fun so I pressed the car lock key on my keychain remote fob and that jeep went nut. During 3rd time that jeep started blowing warning alarm and freaked everyone else around....lol

I believe you might have remote start system in your car and that is getting disturbed by other cars around you.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by KevMaster
I don't know if this will help you anyway but here is what happened to me once. I went out for shopping one day and I parked my car in parking lot. I then got out of my car and pressed the car lock key on my keychain remote fob in my own god damn world. But here is how that interfered someone else world as well. There was one jeep that was parked several parking spot away and that jeed freaked out. I had fun so I pressed the car lock key on my keychain remote fob and that jeep went nut. During 3rd time that jeep started blowing warning alarm and freaked everyone else around....lol

I believe you might have remote start system in your car and that is getting disturbed by other cars around you.

yup, and if this is the case you can change frequencies depending on the brand so it doesn't keep getting triggered by someone else.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM

I guess the first question is... did you buy your car new? used?

If its used I'm thinking that definitely increases the chances there's an aftermarket remote start system in there...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:59 PM

subscribed!
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
bald aggression est 78

that would've creeped me out to good luck with the search
Old 04-19-2011, 04:11 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Unless there is some electrical problem which would not explain the car starting but would explain the blower increasing speed (unless you have it on auto) there is a simple way to test in the previous owner had a remote starter.

If you didn't get any additional remotes with your keys it is most likely that it was programmed to work with your OEM remote by pressing LOCK button 2 or 3 times. Very easy to test. Either press you lock button on the remote up to 4 times or just open the door and press the lock button on the door 4 times. If the car starts, you've got yourself a remote starter. Let us know.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:28 AM

..OMG!!!!!!.......One thing..........HOLY Water and an EXORCISM!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by xoomer.com
Unless there is some electrical problem which would not explain the car starting but would explain the blower increasing speed (unless you have it on auto) there is a simple way to test in the previous owner had a remote starter.
This is why I was questioning of it would be as simple as a car starter given that the car starter wouldn't effect the blower. The selection was NOT on auto. I never have it on auto.

If you didn't get any additional remotes with your keys it is most likely that it was programmed to work with your OEM remote by pressing LOCK button 2 or 3 times. Very easy to test. Either press you lock button on the remote up to 4 times or just open the door and press the lock button on the door 4 times. If the car starts, you've got yourself a remote starter. Let us know.
i did buy the car used, have had it since Oct '10. That is interesting about the possibility that the auto start could be programmed to the OEM keyfob. I've never heard of that before. I'll give that a try... but again with the fan adjusting itself which is troubling. Quite frankly I have yet to go a full week with this car without an issue arising! haha... I love the car, but it is realllly testing my love.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 AM

This is why I was questioning of it would be as simple as a car starter given that the car starter wouldn't effect the blower. The selection was NOT on auto. I never have it on auto.

i did buy the car used, have had it since Oct '10. That is interesting about the possibility that the auto start could be programmed to the OEM keyfob. I've never heard of that before. I'll give that a try... but again with the fan adjusting itself which is troubling. Quite frankly I have yet to go a full week with this car without an issue arising! haha... I love the car, but it is realllly testing my love.
How did you shut it off with no key in the ignition?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:00 AM

i have never heard of factory key fobs being used with aftermarket systems either. i know viper, bulldog and python don't use it. what other brand out there does? i wouldn't count on that little technique working being viper and python are the most widely used.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 AM

I am humiliated to tell you that not only does the car I've owned since Oct have a car starter installed, but the key fob I've been using all along actually says ' www.autostart.com ' on the back of it!
I've replaced many engines, transmissions, made non turbo cars into turbo cars... but I can't even tell when my own car has a remote start hahaha.... I will now hang my head in shame.

On the up side... WOOT.. no possessed car!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM

I am humiliated to tell you that not only does the car I've owned since Oct have a car starter installed, but the key fob I've been using all along actually says ' www.autostart.com ' on the back of it!
I've replaced many engines, transmissions, made non turbo cars into turbo cars... but I can't even tell when my own car has a remote start hahaha.... I will now hang my head in shame.

On the up side... WOOT.. no possessed car!
Mystery solved.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM

I will now hang my head in shame.

As you should...

Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM

WOW, great ending
Old 04-22-2011, 12:57 PM

AWESOME!!! congrats man!! i had to pay 200 for mine!! lol

and don't hand any heads in any shame. I actually turned a bold to the right last week when replacing some shocks on a friends 4 runnerand got pissed that it wouldn't come off before i realized what I was doing. I've worked as the head mechanic in my shop for 7 years!! Wrenching is usually all muscle memory but for some reason that day i got it wrong! it happens to the best of us. so don't worry.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
i have never heard of factory key fobs being used with aftermarket systems either. i know viper, bulldog and python don't use it. what other brand out there does? i wouldn't count on that little technique working being viper and python are the most widely used.
Actually Viper is part of http://www.directed.com/ and so their almost entire line of brands can be programmed to respond to OEM remotes for remote startup. Esentially it senses when the doors are locked 2-3 times to start the car (default is 2 but that is easy to "pocket-press" so I had mine programmed to 3.

I originally had Vallet 612T and now I have Avital (which is the same thing) and both of these brans are able to be programmed as such. Why have another keyfob dangling off the key if you can do the same with your OEM one. I haven't found the range to be that much different. That of course is different once you get into top-of-the-line viper that has LCD fob or many more features; those can even be controlled via any smart phone.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM

lol was gunna say the car is haunted..glad you found out it has autostart after the winter season ended lol.

it might be programmed to start up at certain times which is gunna lead to you not knowing and wasting gas. Get that checkd out asap.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:34 AM

Actually Viper is part of http://www.directed.com/ and so their almost entire line of brands can be programmed to respond to OEM remotes for remote startup. Esentially it senses when the doors are locked 2-3 times to start the car (default is 2 but that is easy to "pocket-press" so I had mine programmed to 3.

I originally had Vallet 612T and now I have Avital (which is the same thing) and both of these brans are able to be programmed as such. Why have another keyfob dangling off the key if you can do the same with your OEM one. I haven't found the range to be that much different. That of course is different once you get into top-of-the-line viper that has LCD fob or many more features; those can even be controlled via any smart phone.

hmm... interesting, why the heck didn't the installer tell me about that! when i asked about something similar he said my factory key fob is now worthless. i have the viper 5901. they say i can start my car from anywhere in the world via smart phone but you gotta pay a monthly charge... lol i was like a monthly charge to start my car? lol
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM

some remote starts gotta feature that turns the car on if it gets too cold or if batt poswer is runnin out. culd be why it started
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by I3LAZEN
lol was gunna say the car is haunted..glad you found out it has autostart after the winter season ended lol.

it might be programmed to start up at certain times which is gunna lead to you not knowing and wasting gas. Get that checkd out asap.

never heard of the autostart via time feature, but thats tite
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM
This Space for Rent

My factory remote is programmed to start my
Mountaineer by pressing "lock" twice. Not sure what system it is.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
hmm... interesting, why the heck didn't the installer tell me about that! when i asked about something similar he said my factory key fob is now worthless. i have the viper 5901. they say i can start my car from anywhere in the world via smart phone but you gotta pay a monthly charge... lol i was like a monthly charge to start my car? lol

its an annual charge, $50 a year, or $100 for 3 years...actually pretty awesome if you live in an area that has rough winters...if im out somewhere with other people not in my truck, I can start it during the ride back so when I get there it will already be warm

Also, it texts me no matter where I am that my alarm has been triggered, so if i'm too far away to hear it but close enough to get to it, I can check it out...I love the app.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmagic
its an annual charge, $50 a year, or $100 for 3 years...actually pretty awesome if you live in an area that has rough winters...if im out somewhere with other people not in my truck, I can start it during the ride back so when I get there it will already be warm

Also, it texts me no matter where I am that my alarm has been triggered, so if i'm too far away to hear it but close enough to get to it, I can check it out...I love the app.

Agreed, I have this App feature connected to My Clifford Alarm and love it. The best part is when you lock the car and walk and say damn "did i hit the alarm?" you just go to your phone and hit it again. I always forget LOL. You can run smartstart without an alarm. I had the Clifford installed by Don (Pearl96max) Now that alarm does everything, it probably would tuck me into bed if there was a module, and I went back to Don or the smart start. By far my new favorite toy
Old 05-01-2011, 10:14 AM

OP is buggin' lol
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 AM

this was scary
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Did Nissan Install any factory remote starters in any 04-08's? Like, can you program the car to remote start without an aftermarket remote starter put in it?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:10 AM

This was hilarious
Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM

So i take it Nissan Original Remote Starters will remain a mystery...
Old 10-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Lmao.. i'm glad it was nothing serious.. funny story tho.. i remember when i bought my max, and had it serviced.. i asked the tech if i can somehow get a autostart and they said it was impossible.. they lied lol thats look i gave him and said i bet your wrong.

Last edited by drthug2145; 10-27-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice

Knowing my luck, that will be an issue with our 07 max as well
I am not sure I dig the whole no key to start the engine thang.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:58 PM

You must be neighbors with the VW Darth Vader kid.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you guys trying to say that this event was NOT a sign from God???
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How to tell if you have factory remote start

Now I am wondering how to tell if we have this remote start feature on the 07

Quick Reply: Car started itself - no remote start system installed