6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Swap to 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM

Swap to 6 Speed

Ok I'm sorry if the answer to this is somewhere else. Recently in the hotter weather, my transmission has been acting up much worse than normal.. the 2-3 shift is slightly delayed at times, and going from P-D, P-R, R-D, results in a 2-3 second delay, a loud bang and slight jerk before it engages.

These problems have just started occurring since the weather is getting warmer and now is the time I can start saving some money to fix this problem. My goal is to have the transmission repaired by early to late August. I have an 04 SE with the Elite package and the 5AT. What would be my best options for this problem? I know its a notorious problem but I am thinking about possibly switching to a 6MT or would the CVT from the 07-08 work as well?

I know this must sound really gray but I have no clue where to start to make a game plan.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by BossMaxima
Ok I'm sorry if the answer to this is somewhere else. Recently in the hotter weather, my transmission has been acting up much worse than normal.. the 2-3 shift is slightly delayed at times, and going from P-D, P-R, R-D, results in a 2-3 second delay, a loud bang and slight jerk before it engages.

These problems have just started occurring since the weather is getting warmer and now is the time I can start saving some money to fix this problem. My goal is to have the transmission repaired by early to late August. I have an 04 SE with the Elite package and the 5AT. What would be my best options for this problem? I know its a notorious problem but I am thinking about possibly switching to a 6MT or would the CVT from the 07-08 work as well?

I know this must sound really gray but I have no clue where to start to make a game plan.
First sorry to hear about your ride and the infamous delay and bang. Do a quick search and you will find more info as to why your tranny might be doing this. It may just be your trans valve body. Chernmax is selling a valve body for your car, check out his thread it may help you. Trans go is selling a shift kit as well. Search 'trans go" and/or "valve body" Love the elite package, wish the made it for 07/08

the CVT tranny wont work in your year without major modification/new computer, MAY not even work at all. Good luck

check out www.my6thgen.org
Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 AM

Ok thanks! I am a member over at my6th but I rarely go over there because sometimes its hard to find things.. But I went and looked over there and yes, I believe it may be the valve body. With the mileage of my car (next oil change at 139k) I thought that would be a transmission rebuild. Im just weighing my options with which way to go (Transgo, OEM valve body, etc.) because it will take me all summer to save this money up.

No more mods for a while
Old 05-12-2011, 07:19 AM

Sorry about what is going on with your car. I hope you get it fixed.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:10 AM

sorry to hear about your car, I'm praying I'm one of the few that won't have that problem.