6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question about keyfob programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Question about keyfob programming

Ok so i program 2 key fob for our 2004 max and everything seems to work fine but here is the puzzling thing, when my wife uses her remote it works fine, when i use mines it takes a while before the system register and unlocks the doors, and once its sync with my remote it does the same thing with my wife remote, we gotta spam press the button in order for the car to reconnect back, is this normal? Is it a glitch? Is there there a way to fix it? Am a first time maxima owner so i got very little know of whats normal am what isnt
Old 05-30-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadMaxx11225
Ok so i program 2 key fob for our 2004 max and everything seems to work fine but here is the puzzling thing, when my wife uses her remote it works fine, when i use mines it takes a while before the system register and unlocks the doors, and once its sync with my remote it does the same thing with my wife remote, we gotta spam press the button in order for the car to reconnect back, is this normal? Is it a glitch? Is there there a way to fix it? Am a first time maxima owner so i got very little know of whats normal am what isnt
you need to reword that sentence because i don't know wtf you are trying to say and im sure its important for any of us to help you.

from what i can gather in all your other sentences, it sounds like one of the remotes is running low on batteries.

if the batteries are full, and it still doesn't work then your remote is defective, maybe the antenna has broken off the circuit board, this happened to my friends viper alarm and it was easy to fix. just pry it in half with a small flat head and solder it back on the contact. easy way is to dip the wire in flux, melt the existing solder, and dip the wire in. bam 10 min and your done. or if you can return it, do that.

if you are having problems with both remotes, then reset your car (leave battery leads off car for an hour) and re-program the fob
Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM

Ok let me try explain it better, remote 1 = my wife remote and remote 2 = my remote, now lets say remote 1 was the last used remote, remote 2 does not work unless i spam press the button on remote 2, it normally works after the 3-4 unlock button press, all remotes are new, with new batteries, recently purchased off eBay, this problem happens with both remote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Ok let me try explain it better, remote 1 = my wife remote and remote 2 = my remote, now lets say remote 1 was the last used remote, remote 2 does not work unless i spam press the button on remote 2, it normally works after the 3-4 unlock button press, all remotes are new, with new batteries, recently purchased off eBay, this problem happens with both remote
Are the batteries or the remote purchased off ebay? If you got a replacement key fob you may need to have the dealer re-program it. Also I would go buy a new battery from a local store, a decent brand name, before cursing the system too much.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM

this is because the key fobs have separate signature ID's. if you plan to use both of them at the same time, you need to go to nissan and have them program the remotes with identical ids.

think like this, your car is receiving directions from one boss, when another random person comes in saying they are your new boss. you only have the capability of receiving direction from one person only. so it takes time for you to realize and forget the first boss and take orders from boss 2. in order for you to be able to take direction from two bosses at the same time, you need to clone boss 1 so there are 2 identical boss 1's. so you can take orders from both clones. get it? lol
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Ok so today i tested my remote and it doesnt work at all, lmao if u guys want i could make a video on how i did my steps which i followed on here, am still guess it could be my fault somewhere in the programming steps
Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

P.S the dealership wanted $150 to program one remote, hence why i am attempting this myself, lol
Old 06-01-2011, 05:47 PM

well i called the company that i purchase the remote from and they said they will send out replacements remotes as that shouldnt be happening, lets see if anything changes after i reprogram them. the gentleman i spoke with also said the signature id on the remotes are the same other wise they wont work at all.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Keep us updated on what happens because i just recently bought a maxima with only one key fob and the dealer is wanting 106 for the fob and then 110 just to program it. So if I can go with one from ebay, thats what i will do.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:54 PM

ok so i got the new keyfobs replacement for free, still the same issue, so am gonna be giving the company a call 2morrow to see what else could be done, also i have my car set to auto relock after 1 min and to honk with the remote and it doesnt do either, only the lights flashes when i hit the lock on the remote. the car doesnt not lock it self at all stayed out the car for 5mins st8 to see if it will lock it self and it didnt. anyone know what could be the causing this?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM

ok so i got the new keyfobs replacement for free, still the same issue, so am gonna be giving the company a call 2morrow to see what else could be done, also i have my car set to auto relock after 1 min and to honk with the remote and it doesnt do either, only the lights flashes when i hit the lock on the remote. the car doesnt not lock it self at all stayed out the car for 5mins st8 to see if it will lock it self and it didnt. anyone know what could be the causing this?
great question mine doesn't auto-lock either even tho its set to after 5 min. however my car did honk when i set it to.

does anyone else have the same issue with the auto re-lock?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Push and hold the lock and unlock buttons for at least 2 seconds on the key fob to toggle between silent and horn honking when you hit the lock button. The auto-re lock is not programmable. It is always active. When you unlock the car and do not open any door or the trunk, it should lock itself back.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by DAlastDON
Push and hold the lock and unlock buttons for at least 2 seconds on the key fob to toggle between silent and horn honking when you hit the lock button. The auto-re lock is not programmable. It is always active. When you unlock the car and do not open any door or the trunk, it should lock itself back.
mines doesnt lock it self back, sat and waited 5mins and nothing, program it from the info screen for 1min and 5mins, didnt matter either.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:14 PM

Hmmmm....07 without navi here. Must either be an 04-06 or navi thing for the adjustable time.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36 PM

that's not true. it is specifically outlined in your user setting to turn the feature on or off and after how many minutes.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
that's not true. it is specifically outlined in your user setting to turn the feature on or off and after how many minutes.
For a 6.5 it is, as he mentioned above in his last post.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM

Am gonna make a video 2morrow
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 AM

that worked flawlessly but why have the option on the info screen if thats how you turn it on and off, nissan is so confusing i swear
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 AM

i just programed a remote today for a 06 max with no problems, as long as the remote id are identical to the original remote type you're fine.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:17 AM

IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.
1.Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2.Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard
Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder
each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3.Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4.Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press
the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming
procedure will not be successful.

5.If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side
power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6.Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM

does this work with an o7?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This worked like a charm. Took me a few times to get into programming mode but then it was a snap.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 2677677165
IMPORTANT: Before entering programming mode, have in possession all of the transmitters you will be using on the vehicle. Once you program the transmitter, all previous codes will be erased from the memory. The other transmitters will not be functional until you program the transmitters again.
1.Close and lock all doors with the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch.

2.Insert key into ignition and remove it from the ignition key cylinder at least six times within 10 seconds. Your Hazard
Lamps will flash if you have performed this step successfully. NOTE: Withdraw key completely from ignition cylinder
each time. If this procedure is performed too fast, system will not enter programming mode.

3.Insert key into the ignition cylinder and turn to the ACC position.

4.Within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the remote transmitter. Your Hazard Lamps should flash. NOTE: Do not press
the button more than one time in the above step. If the button is pressed more than one time, the programming
procedure will not be successful.

5.If there are any remaining transmitters (including the old ones), unlock then lock all doors using the driver’s side
power lock/unlock switch and within 5 seconds, push ANY button on the next remote. Your Hazard Lamps should
flash. Repeat this step for each transmitter (including any existing transmitters).

6.Turn the key to the OFF position, remove keys from the ignition, unlock doors using the driver’s side power lock/unlock switch and open the driver side door.

Does this work for the 2008 Maxima fobs??
Old 05-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by dawgfish66
Does this work for the 2008 Maxima fobs??
I have an intelligence key fob for a 2007 Maxima, too. I have tried the above instructions, where you insert the key with the locked doors, but to no avail! No green flasher lights come on. I've inserted a fresh new battery seated the right way and still nothing!! What do I do next, beside take it into the dealer, which I REALLY don't want to do? Any suggestions??? I'm REALLY frustrated!! Thanx! -Kd

HELLO ANYBODY??????

Last edited by KDdid; 05-31-2013 at 11:22 PM.