6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima Hyper-miling

Old 05-31-2011, 10:18 PM

Maxima Hyper-miling

Since I had many things to do on my '04 Max SE at 198K miles (tires, brakes, tune-up, etc.) I decided to take the opportunity to hyper-mile my Max.

If you're interested in making your Max more fuel efficient, here's my mods:

Switched 18" rims to 17" OEM
Narrower/taller tire (215/60-17 Hankook OPTIMO H727) filled with N2 (36psi)
Full tune-up with NGK Iridium IX plugs
Running synthetic oil (Pennz Ultra) and trans fluid (AMSOIL)

The taller tires throw off the speedo by 3%. But, the ride is very comfy and smooth. I've been switching off between mid-grade and premium fuel. I'm getting about 20% better gas mileage over the previous state.

I'm averaging on longer expressway driving (figuring approx. 30 miles per trip): 75mph/27-28mpg, 65mph/29-31mpg, 55mph/30-34mpg

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM

everything sounds great. do you have any performance mods like intake and exhuast? i put on a cone ebay filter kit ($20) vias bop ($20) and ebay catback exhuast ($190) and saw a 2-3mpg gain. but with adding g37 19's and running the a/c its back down 2-3mpg
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM

go buy a Prius
Old 05-31-2011, 11:23 PM

You shouldn't alternate between mid-grade and premium fuel. It's not a good idea and won't help anything. 6th gens require premium grade (92 or 93, depends where you are in the nation) gas for it to perform at it's peak. That would include gas consumption and honestly, our cars aren't great on mpg in general.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 AM

if you want to get the best mpg, it is fact that the lowest octane is better for fuel economy. putting in premium is better for performance, putting in low grade is significantly better for MPG. reason is the flash points of each material.

but like i said before you buying a maxima and fitting it for fuel economy is like buying an electric knife and cutting the cord so you can use it manually. there is no point... there are cars MADE for fuel economy and the maxima is not one of them. buying tall skinny rigid tires kills the purpose built function of the maxima. its like putting a sports car on buttered up stilts.. just stupid!!!!

but to go back on topic, removing your vias system and adding a block off plate will significantly help, a short ram or cai will also significantly help, and exhaust kit will help if you do it right, low grade fuel (i don't recommend buuuuut our cars do have a octane reading chip in the fuel tanks that will change the dynamics of the engine to hold back on performance and run it), the nitrogen is a good move if you live in an area where temperature or altitude changes in significant levels, good move on the synthetic as it is also proven to give significantly better mpg. smaller skinnier tires are also great for mpg (head in hand)...... that is pretty much all you can do. but my opinion still stands, if you are that concerned about fuel economy enough to forgo performance you are sitting in the wrong car, it is not practical for your intentions.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-01-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:33 AM

How is that? low grade burns much faster than premium grade gasoline and our cars aren't even made to run that stuff.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 06-01-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:12 AM

when i purchased the max it did not state anywhere that premium octane fuel needs to be used. I've been using 87 for day to day and if needed, i have used premium when heading up north to the track. my old man is a petrochemical engineer for M-B and i pretty much have listened to him when it comes to octane levels and which fuel to use. I've been using the 87 for over 2 years now and have had 0 issues.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:51 AM
SuPeRmOd

http://ecomodder.com/forum/

Your driving style will increase more mpg than anything else. My problem is I try to drive conservatively more, but I also push it hard at times. Curious how my computer has learned my style. I can tell sometimes it's setup for me to punch it while I'm just cruising.

Using that site, I modded my bumper for better aerodynamics. I blocked off my grille and directed air from my lower grille to my rad. I re-fitted my lower oem diffuser but never continued to add more lexan to continue it further back.

Also trying to reduce weight was fruitless since adding desired mods added weight.

also try to find ethanol free gas. Cost more and hard to find, but that will help.
http://pure-gas.org/
Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 AM

I have been using 87 in my max since I bought it (New) and no issues, I am about to hit 100k and still get Avg 23MPG
Old 06-01-2011, 05:56 AM

Our car is made for premium but regular will hurt in the long run, if you worry about the fuel just use mid lol that will give you some peace of mind and if you really have the money the just go premium is the best choice.

P.S i dont drive much it takes me like 15 min to get to work and back and my 20gallon tank last me 2 weeks with regular and i am sure it will last the same with premium but i will do that test and see.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
http://ecomodder.com/forum/

Your driving style will increase more mpg than anything else. My problem is I try to drive conservatively more, but I also push it hard at times. Curious how my computer has learned my style. I can tell sometimes it's setup for me to punch it while I'm just cruising.

Using that site, I modded my bumper for better aerodynamics. I blocked off my grille and directed air from my lower grille to my rad. I re-fitted my lower oem diffuser but never continued to add more lexan to continue it further back.

Also trying to reduce weight was fruitless since adding desired mods added weight.

also try to find ethanol free gas. Cost more and hard to find, but that will help.
http://pure-gas.org/
Whats up where can i get that bumper, it say in your profile that is a 04 i have a 04 two trying to get that front bumper too can you PM with the detail or on here thanks.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dafedexman
Our car is made for premium but regular will hurt in the long run, if you worry about the fuel just use mid lol that will give you some peace of mind and if you really have the money the just go premium is the best choice.

P.S i dont drive much it takes me like 15 min to get to work and back and my 20gallon tank last me 2 weeks with regular and i am sure it will last the same with premium but i will do that test and see.
our vehicle is not made for Premium. It does not states so anywhere. It states that premium is "recommended". I used to own a BMW 540i and that car had to have the 92 octane rating fuel. I knew a guy that destroyed his internals by using 87 on a german vehicle. Like stated above, a few folks have been using the 87 and have had 0 issues (including me). To use premium you are just throwing $$$ down the drain as the mileage will not differ from 87 to 92 or vice versa. I will say one thing, i do use either 89 or 92 (or even 94 when I can find a Sunoco) when going up north to the track as I'm running the car more "spiritedly"
Old 06-01-2011, 11:02 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by the macedonian
our vehicle is not made for Premium. It does not states so anywhere. It states that premium is "recommended". I used to own a BMW 540i and that car had to have the 92 octane rating fuel. I knew a guy that destroyed his internals by using 87 on a german vehicle. Like stated above, a few folks have been using the 87 and have had 0 issues (including me). To use premium you are just throwing $$$ down the drain as the mileage will not differ from 87 to 92 or vice versa. I will say one thing, i do use either 89 or 92 (or even 94 when I can find a Sunoco) when going up north to the track as I'm running the car more "spiritedly"
your knock sensor and other parts need at least one tank to adjust. you're harming more by switching than just staying with one.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
if you want to get the best mpg, it is fact that the lowest octane is better for fuel economy. putting in premium is better for performance, putting in low grade is significantly better for MPG. reason is the flash points of each material.

but like i said before you buying a maxima and fitting it for fuel economy is like buying an electric knife and cutting the cord so you can use it manually. there is no point... there are cars MADE for fuel economy and the maxima is not one of them. buying tall skinny rigid tires kills the purpose built function of the maxima. its like putting a sports car on buttered up stilts.. just stupid!!!!

but to go back on topic, removing your vias system and adding a block off plate will significantly help, a short ram or cai will also significantly help, and exhaust kit will help if you do it right, low grade fuel (i don't recommend buuuuut our cars do have a octane reading chip in the fuel tanks that will change the dynamics of the engine to hold back on performance and run it), the nitrogen is a good move if you live in an area where temperature or altitude changes in significant levels, good move on the synthetic as it is also proven to give significantly better mpg. smaller skinnier tires are also great for mpg (head in hand)...... that is pretty much all you can do. but my opinion still stands, if you are that concerned about fuel economy enough to forgo performance you are sitting in the wrong car, it is not practical for your intentions.
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. To answer a few questions:

I have no other performance mods. Stock air, intake, exhaust, etc.
90% of my driving is on the expressways/tollways. I average about 22K miles per year in Chicago. To say a car is "made" for a certain driving style negates any modifications one could make. Certainly the Maxima wasn't "made" for 20" rims, but some people seem to like it. I think it says a lot for Nissan making a car so versatile. Just like everybody I love the car I have. If I can get more of what I want out of it, I'll keep it. For me, if my 0 to 60 time is diminished slightly, I can live with that. But, all this can be reversed just by putting my 18" stickys back on and premium back in. And maybe I will. But, with gas prices and my driving distances it seemed a logical move.

Plus, my girlfriend loves the heated leather seats.

Thanks again!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:49 AM

wow, there are a lot of misconceptions on the maxima by maxima owners

1) the maxima IS made for premium fuel. just because the sticker fell off your gas tank flap and you didn't read the owners manual doesn't mean its not made for premium.
the cool thing about the maxima is it will not knock and ping with low grade fuel, compared to a porche, you can run it with no visual or auditory problems, the computer will realize the octane INSTANTLY and run a different map and timing on your car to accommodate that. you will lose around 20-40 hp, everywhere i have read online states that higher octane in a car made for higher octane (the maxima) will give it better mpg due the the fact that the knock sensor is not having to readjust to an uncommon timing. but i have heard from many master mechanics one being my uncle that lower octane gives better fuel economy.

i am not going to pick a side unless i can read an accredited article where this concepts has been tested in a laboratory setting. so i take back what i said earlier. its still up for question.

but to lay to rest the question about what our cars "require"? starting with the 4th generation, the nissan maxima has be manufactured with the assumption that you will be putting in premium fuel and nothing less. just because we have knock sensors and don't have ping with low grade, doesn't mean you aren't feeding your baby fast food all the time. and from what i have research thus far, putting in a low octane into a car made for higher octane, is actually hurting fuel economy. but again, im a skeptical person when it comes to this stuff, ill be looking or accredited articles in the mean time.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM

watch this... its pretty interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHwCWdrtdg

car reviews claim there is a 20-30hp increase between octanes for the maxima

this guy claims to be a economy expert, i did a quick search and he seems to be legit. here are his videos on economy.

octane
http://www.5min.com/Video/The-Best-O...-Car-155905288

running on empty
http://www.5min.com/Video/Waiting-Un...mpty-155905204

filling on fast mode
http://www.5min.com/Video/Filling-Yo...Mode-155905184

basic maintenance
http://www.5min.com/Video/Basic-Car-...eage-155905615

automatic vs. manual transmission
http://www.5min.com/Video/Manual-Tra...ions-155905563

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 PM

wow, there are a lot of misconceptions on the maxima by maxima owners

1) the maxima IS made for premium fuel. just because the sticker fell off your gas tank flap and you didn't read the owners manual doesn't mean its not made for premium.
the cool thing about the maxima is it will not knock and ping with low grade fuel, compared to a porche, you can run it with no visual or auditory problems, the computer will realize the octane INSTANTLY and run a different map and timing on your car to accommodate that. you will lose around 20-40 hp, everywhere i have read online states that higher octane in a car made for higher octane (the maxima) will give it better mpg due the the fact that the knock sensor is not having to readjust to an uncommon timing. but i have heard from many master mechanics one being my uncle that lower octane gives better fuel economy.

i am not going to pick a side unless i can read an accredited article where this concepts has been tested in a laboratory setting. so i take back what i said earlier. its still up for question.

but to lay to rest the question about what our cars "require"? starting with the 4th generation, the nissan maxima has be manufactured with the assumption that you will be putting in premium fuel and nothing less. just because we have knock sensors and don't have ping with low grade, doesn't mean you aren't feeding your baby fast food all the time. and from what i have research thus far, putting in a low octane into a car made for higher octane, is actually hurting fuel economy. but again, im a skeptical person when it comes to this stuff, ill be looking or accredited articles in the mean time.
sticker never fell off my gas flap - mine does not state premium required, it clearly states premium recommended for optimal performance. i have not had a chance to read ALL of the owners manual as I honestly don't have the time or effort to do so when I have a 1 year old boy that terrorizes me as soon as I get home from the office.

i don't have concrete or accredited articles, what i do have is day to day driving and some track as well. no issues after two years so i'm sticking with the opinion which is using 87 octane as i don't hear anything, don't have crazy HP loss or notice improved HP gain when switching to 92 or even 94.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM

sticker never fell off my gas flap - mine does not state premium required, it clearly states premium recommended for optimal performance. i have not had a chance to read ALL of the owners manual as I honestly don't have the time or effort to do so when I have a 1 year old boy that terrorizes me as soon as I get home from the office.

i don't have concrete or accredited articles, what i do have is day to day driving and some track as well. no issues after two years so i'm sticking with the opinion which is using 87 octane as i don't hear anything, don't have crazy HP loss or notice improved HP gain when switching to 92 or even 94.

im pretty sure we all have day to day driving. this is fact, when nissan says better performance with higher octane they are not lying. the nissan does get better performance. it is common knowledge between track guys. if you go to the track with 87 in your car, you are going to get slower times, end of story. octane and performance is not the questioned idea here, that is fact based by the accredited research. what is in question is fuel economy.

Nissan "recommends" higher octane for better performance. "performance" is not limited to racing, it includes fuel economy and overall health of your car. not putting in the correct octane is like taking 6 Tylenol on a regular basis rather than the recommended 2. you would be wise to follow the advice of experts. if someone says i recommend you stay closer to the middle of this frozen lake when fishing than along the edges, he is saying, the edges are thinner then the middle and you could fall though if you spend the majority of your time on the outside. i recommend that you go to china express, rather than china garden, what im really saying is china garden is expensive and the food suck. china express is cheaper and the food is better. so lets not toss out the validity and impact of the word "recommend"

the maxima was purpose built, and Nissan looses a lot of business by making cars that require higher octane, i know people who will forgo a car they love based on that one thing alone. Nissan knows this, yet they made it that way anyways, doesn't this tell you that the "recommended" is more like a rule or order?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-01-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 PM

look dude, i use 92 or even 94 at the track. never used 87 or will i use it when pushing the max. i do love your analogies, they are a great read after i put my little boy to sleep!
bottom line is that nissan can "recommend" all they like, i'm not arguing the validity behind that statement, just saying that from my experience i have yet to see a downfall with using 87 at a daily basis.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

our vehicle is not made for Premium. It does not states so anywhere.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 06-01-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM

^^^ lmfao
Old 06-01-2011, 07:35 PM

look dude, i use 92 or even 94 at the track. never used 87 or will i use it when pushing the max. i do love your analogies, they are a great read after i put my little boy to sleep!
bottom line is that nissan can "recommend" all they like, i'm not arguing the validity behind that statement, just saying that from my experience i have yet to see a downfall with using 87 at a daily basis.

lol thanks man, analogies are fun
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM

@macedonian
To each their own but I stand behind what I said. The vq 3.5 is a high-powered engine that will burn through lower grade gas faster due to the water content in it. Hope people understand we don't drive Hondas. We require premium gas for better mpg and performance. There isn't any V-TAK power over here LOL.

Last edited by 6.5affiliate; 06-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by 6.5affiliate
@macedonian
To each their own but I stand behind what I said. The vq 3.5 is a high-powered engine that will burn through lower grade gas faster due to the water content in it. Hope people understand we don't drive Hondas. We require premium gas for better mpg and performance. There isn't any V-TAK power over here LOL.
LOL - agreed, I like the pic you posted, my point was simple, a recommendation is not a requirement. In any case, I would never even begin to attempt to compare our VQ to a honda. No disrespect at all to you or twenty, just a healthy conversation.

I will however slap some V-TAK stickers on the sides and bring back the "fear this" decal from 1996 as well in hopes to make my max a little faster

Last edited by the macedonian; 06-02-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Info on octane and MPG and HP.
http://www.carbibles.com/fuel_engine_bible_pg3.html

To the OP: Do your thing, if getting more MPGs are important for you then go ahead and mod for your needs. If someone wants to mod for looks then do it, or for more HP, go ahead. Hell, Chern stuffed a turbo under the hood. For 20eggs to be blasted folks for modding to their likes then he needs to step back from the PlastiDip and do the "real" mods he wants everyone else to make. The Max is just a 4 door family car, its not special, its not much different than any other four door on the road, it even has less HP than an Accord, by almost 20. But to each Max owner, they see a platform that they can tweak to their personality and purpose. Why can't a person like the Max and want to get a few more MPGs without driving a Prius? By that logic, those that are doing intakes, exhaust, headers and turbos should all be driving Porches. 20 you still are a douche. Grow up.

For the record on fuel, I use Premium for the recommended maximum performance.... whatever the hell that may mean in Nissan engineer speak.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM

no ones on blast dude... my point was why hyper mile a maxima, there are much nicer, cheaper, more economic vehicles out there to serve his purpose.

to the OP sorry if you think i was blasting you, not my intentions, im just sarcastic and like to generate some humor in my responses, no harm intended. keep doing what you do.

BadBlackMax- if i thought his idea was completely worthless i wouldn't have added so much in support for his purpose, like he asked in his original post. i just wanted to voice my opinion about the skinny tall tires (which still makes me grimace at the thought of seeing that on my car lol)

OP can you post some pictures of your "tall skinny tires" i want to see what your talking about, because im my mind i see something horrific and it may not be the case

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-02-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM

LOL - agreed, I like the pic you posted, my point was simple, a recommendation is not a requirement. In any case, I would never even begin to attempt to compare our VQ to a honda. No disrespect at all to you or twenty, just a healthy conversation.

I will however slap some V-TAK stickers on the sides and bring back the "fear this" decal from 1996 as well in hopes to make my max a little faster
Don't worry about it man, I didn't even take it that way. I totally agree that it was just a conversation between opposing views that others can benefit from.

But yeah, the V-TAK sticker by itself is going to add at least 15 hp GUARANTEED! LOL
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 PM

^
Old 06-02-2011, 07:45 PM

At 122k miles....
Over 26 mpg everyday driving
Over 31 mpg long distance driving
93 to 94 octane from day one.
Mobil1 synthetic and premium filter.
Minimum mods like brakes, different suspensions, and end-links etc.
Regular maintenance on clock.
I don't drive like a granny or an idiot.

What else I could have ask for more?

Last edited by KevMaster; 06-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 AM

go buy a Prius
Word
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
Banned

i have been able ot manage 28 mpg (75% hwy 25% city)on 19's with 245's. the bop helped a bit. shift at 2000-2500. i have a 6 speed btw.