6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bad strut bearings or just control arm rubber bushings sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Bad strut bearings or just control arm rubber bushings sound?

SOLVED :

After replacing the steering rack, shocks, mounts, rubbers, endlinks, tie rods, tables, brakes, and almost everything on this damn car.

The popping sound was caused by sheet metal rubbing.
On the passenger side, when you remove the plastic covers under the hood.
There is a bolt on the inner part near the suspension mount. A small bolt that attaches a bracket to hold a large wire loom.
Well, under body movement, that bolt was rubbing against the sheetmetal under the wipers and causing a clunk. Removed this, made the hole way bigger with a grinder in the metal and plastic, and the dreaded clunk is gone.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

Changed all front end (control arms, tie rod, tie rod end, endlinks) like 1-2 months ago, and immediately after, I started noticing an occasional pop noise. removed wheels checked everything with a prybar, seems solid....

Pop seems to be when there is some body torsion, like when backing and going over a bump while turning.

almost never makes noise when going straight over bumps. Always like when turning, and then hitting a little hole, it kinda pops. I dont hear it over flat terrain while not moving and turning the wheel....

Any ideas? I think ill have to recheck every bolt and try to move everything w the prybar.... It started after installing the control arm, links, tie rod and tie rod end. Everything seemed solid.... could it be the control arm bushings or something? sway bar bushings? I dont know.

Drives me nuts. ideas?

Last edited by Kryogen; 08-02-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM

if you are using aftermarket strut bearings, there is a possibility of noise, best way to find out is to have a helper turning wheel, and put your ear next to strut inside engine compartment. take plastic covers, held in place by push clips first.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM

OEM original.

Sound started after installing ebay control arms..... is it just the bushings popping or what?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM

were sway bar bushings replaced as well? they too tend to produce noise over time, most noticable when body rocks up and down. To identify the problem, put front wheels on ramps, get underneath the car and have someone bounce the front. Tell your buddy not to push too hard!!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:51 PM

sway bar bushings? no. didnt replace. dont you have to drop alot of crap to replace those?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
sway bar bushings? no. didnt replace. dont you have to drop alot of crap to replace those?
I would advise to identify the problem first, and then worry about how to correct it, what to drop and what not to drop. There was a dude on mercedes forums who spent $2000 on parts only and replaced entire front end trying to fix vibration in steering wheel. It turned out a bent rim. Like I said, put car on ramps, get under it, put your ear close to sway bar and have someone bounce front of the vehicle. Sway bar is two 14mm bolts per side. You would need to disconnect sway bar links going to struts first to free it up.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Pop seems to be when there is some body torsion, like when backing and going over a bump while turning.

It never makes noise when going straight, even over bumps. Always like when turning, and then hitting a little hole, it kinda pops. I dont hear it over flat terrain while not moving and turning the wheel....
Old 06-12-2011, 01:36 PM

well, dude, it was a rubber noise in your initial complain, and now it is some pop, no wonder this conversation ended up with a bird's *****
Old 06-12-2011, 06:37 PM

omg..... really. wtf with all that crap lately on the forums. never been like that before.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:46 PM

Changed all front end (control arms, tie rod, tie rod end, endlinks) like 1-2 months ago, and immediately after, I started noticing an occasional pop noise. removed wheels checked everything with a prybar, seems solid....

almost never makes noise when going straight over bumps. Always like when turning, and then hitting a little hole, it kinda pops. I dont hear it over flat terrain while not moving and turning the wheel....

Any ideas? I think ill have to recheck every bolt and try to move everything w the prybar.... It started after installing the control arm, links, tie rod and tie rod end. Everything seemed solid.... could it be the control arm bushings or something? sway bar bushings? I dont know.

Its not constant. Like it will do it 2-3 times in a row, and then not for 10 minutes. Then once, then not for 30 minutes...

Drives me nuts. ideas?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Mmmm now it pops every time I hit a big bump. Seems to come fron the strut mounts. Anyone had their strut mounts go bad and pop? From what I've read you guys go w mogg ?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Banned

Here is the answer to your problem ...Never use a Ebay control arms/Anti-Sway Bar Endlink.. Check the arms and replace the Anti-Sway Bar Endlink with OEM ... and the problem will be gone..
-- Take a look, here is what happend to EBay Anti-Sway Bar Endlink--

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/dsc04704q.jpg/
------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/dsc04705v.jpg/

-This happend within 5 months.

Last edited by shabnyc; 07-05-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Did this happen to you?

Where did you get the parts from? I got them from http://myworld.ebay.ca/maximum_suspension/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

He says that he sells good quality parts made by a reputable parts manufacturer. Bull****?

So I guess that the tie rods/tie rod ends arent better? I changed those, plus control arm, and end links.

Started popping after I did the job....

But really, I double checked everything, moving everything with a pry bar, I am not able to move anything or pop anything. Now it doesnt pop anymore when driving normally ....

Just like when going slow, and turning the wheel, and hitting a small bump, making me suspect strut mount/bearing failure (they look ok, but I think I will sisassemble and check today). Again, its quite weird that it started JUST after installing the control arms/links....
Old 07-05-2011, 08:23 AM

I had a similar issue with a noise coming from the front passenger side. Took everything apart after installing KYB/Progress and it was my cheap@ss fault for not changing the strut mounts. I ended up getting the KYB option and have had 0 noise since then.

just my two cents on ebay -- I do purchase products from there, just very uneasy about making purchases when it comes to the suspension and braking side for the maxima.

hopefully everything works out well for you, let me know if you need the part numbers for the KYB strut mount parts
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 AM

honestly I think ill order the rubber parts from courtesy nissan because I have to change the rubber parts below and above the springs anyway. Thx.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

I changed the Saw bar bushing ... (please don't) .. There are 2things to look at.. when i tighten the steering nut.. Its seem to work better .. my guess is .. Rack is going bad or allready bad .. second change saw bar end link b4 looking into steering rack .. ... Soon i will write a die how to Change Saw bar bushing, End Link, and how to tighten the steering nut.

P,s -- please do not buy those ebay crap.! at least not for suspension
Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by shabnyc
when i tighten the steering nut.. Its seem to work better .. my guess is .. Rack is going bad or allready bad ..
What seems to work better when you tighten the steering rack??? Is this related to my issue?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Banned

The noise is not there,, then again, you feel there is no power steering..
Old 07-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by shabnyc
The noise is not there,, then again, you feel there is no power steering..
I am sorry, I am unable to understand what you mean in both your messages. Your sentences seem unclear to me.

As for my problem, I removed the struts to check the mounts. Totally jammed, need my 2 arms and 2 legs to turn the mounts.

Ordered all rubber parts and mounts/bearings from nissan.

I'll tell you once I install them if all noise is gone.
Cant blame the ebay stuff so far....
Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you have the Raceline Front Strut Tower Bar installed you might want to look at it. In my case it was contacting the hood at two points. It was rubbing and causing a noise when the frame flexed. I put two little adhesive rubber dots on the points, and the noise went away. It was pretty obvious where the strut bar was rubbing against the hood as it had scuffed away the paint.

However if you've found your strut bearings are shot that is the most likely cause of your issues.

CM
Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM

No bar. Ya mounts are shut. Should do the job early next week when parts arrive. Ill tell you then if everything is good.

So far I cant complain about the ebay parts..... they look solid.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Ok, I changed all the rubber in the struts, + the mounts + bearings, all OEM.
Upon disassembly, everything looked fine... So obviously, I replaced everything anyway since I had the parts, and the noise is still there. This is driving me nuts.

Any ideas? I suspect that maybe the sway bar bushings were just aged and going bad (why didnt it do it before?), and there is absolutely no play when under the car prying with a large prybar.... seems unlikely to me.

Or maybe the ebay control arm bushings are bad? I cant get them to pop with a prybar either....

All I know is that the problem started after I replaced the control arms, links, tie rod end and inner tie rod with ebay kit.....

How come theres a damn pop that I cant seem to reproduce with a prybar and theres no play anywhere.

Really, any ideas?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:18 AM

Checked the stabil bar today. Disconnected both links and tie wrapped.

Noise is still there. So it's not the links or bushings.....

It almost only does the noise while wheels are turned LEFT and hitting a small bump. Not really when going straight.

What could it be? Everything seems solid. Tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, struts are quite new, just changed the mounts, bearings, and they were not bad anyway.....

I cant figure out the noise, but it's a clok, or clok clok, kinda loud, and nothing is loose, and nothing makes noise when using a prybar. I checked everything (stab bar, links, tie rod, ball joint, control arm bushings).

Anything else could do what? Subframe bushings, drive axle ?? I have no idea anymore.,
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Other things i can think about are the subframe bushings. Maybe they are bad ? I'll check tomorrow....
Old 07-17-2011, 05:25 PM

any ideas what could clunk on the car while having the stering turned and hitting a lil hole ?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM

maybe bad steering rack. mine had noise just like yours while hitting a hole while turning right. Turning wheels while hitting a hole produces side impact stress on gear mechanism inside rack. It there is too much play in that mechanism, it will produce noise, and often, rod with teeth connected to tie-rod, protruding out of rack, will have visual play side to side and up and down. If you have 04 early production, chances are you got defective rack (it has been redesigned later). part alone costs over 1000 bucks at the dealer. If you do decide to replace the rack, DO NOT purchase remanned rack from autoparts, you will end up with another worn out rack most likely.

try to turn wheels while car is not moving and have assistant check for play in the steering rack and abnormal noises from that area.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Clunks even when going straight now... did a big damn bang when hitting a bump today, though something broke, but it seems fine...

Seems retarded to me that it clunks that way and I cant get anything to clunk while inspecting it. Getting me really pissed off.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kryogen
Clunks even when going straight now... did a big damn bang when hitting a bump today, though something broke, but it seems fine...

Seems retarded to me that it clunks that way and I cant get anything to clunk while inspecting it. Getting me really pissed off.
did you get a feedback in the steering wheel when you had that bang?
Old 07-23-2011, 06:41 AM

no, it's more like banging at my feet. I dont feel anything in the steering.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the post. The info gathered was helpful
Old 07-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just replaced my struts and put on Eibach lowering springs along with new Moog End links. Now I have a popping noise when I turn left or turn left and go over a bump. Same as your problem. I'm interested to hear how you solve this.

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM

AXLE....CHANGE YOUR AXLE, CHECK YOUR SWAY BAR END LINKS, THE STEERING RACK, AND CHECK YOUR AXLE!!!!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ArmaanOG
AXLE....CHANGE YOUR AXLE, CHECK YOUR SWAY BAR END LINKS, THE STEERING RACK, AND CHECK YOUR AXLE!!!!
AXLE....CHANGE YOUR AXLE

well, I'll check it before. How do you "check your axle" ???? Boots are fine, no clicking sound when turning...

CHECK YOUR SWAY BAR END LINKS

They are new, but I checked them, no noise, they are tight. Even disconnected them to eliminate sway bar issues, and sound still there. so its not the sway bar bushings, links, or anything.

THE STEERING RACK
How do you check this? Doesnt seem to be too much play at the steering wheel. (well, what,s too much play anyway)

Last edited by Kryogen; 07-23-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scott260
I just replaced my struts and put on Eibach lowering springs along with new Moog End links. Now I have a popping noise when I turn left or turn left and go over a bump. Same as your problem. I'm interested to hear how you solve this.
Thanks!
I would be tempted to say check your mounts and check if you made sure everything is tight.

I personally tried to change all the rubber and mounts and bearings OEm, didnt change anything for me....
Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Go to any shop they will diagnose if your rack is bad same with your axle...check for rips in your axle, look for any transaxle fluid where you park....check the play with the axle shuld be minimum to none in there
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Go to any shop they will diagnose if your rack is bad same with your axle...
My point is not wanting to go to a shop.

check for rips in your axle, -> nope

look for any transaxle fluid where you park. -> nope

...check the play with the axle shuld be minimum to none in there

There doesnt seem to be any play with the axle...
Old 07-23-2011, 02:41 PM

sometimes axles wont be visible messed up it just is...and theres your problem right there....you want to avoid going to a shop, well look where it got you... this thread was created almost 2 months ago and you still have that problem......good luck
Old 07-23-2011, 07:08 PM

sometimes axles wont be visible messed up it just is...and theres your problem right there....you want to avoid going to a shop, well look where it got you... this thread was created almost 2 months ago and you still have that problem......good luck
Well then HOW do you diagnose the axle issue? thats my question. if you do not know, that's fine.

Thanks, I am looking for people to help me diagnose the issue, not tell me to go to a shop. If I wanted to go to a shop I would have been there 2 months ago, and I would not be a member of this forum. It's a choice I made, I dont really care how long it takes, I want to find and fix the problem. I take care of my car myself, and i learn. I like it that way. I respect that some people prefer to go to a shop, thats fine, that's just not for me.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:56 PM

My 04 Max has made that clunk noise from the passenger side ever since it was new. I feel it in my feet too, I can feel the vibration of the clunk thru the floor board and the accelerator pedal. My will even do it when I am going straight and hit a manhole cover that sits 1 inch lower than the road. Funny thing though, it doesn't do it when my foot is on the brake. I have changed all of the following; axels, wheel bearings, rotors, pads, endlinks, struts, spring isolators and the noise is still there. I was thinking of changing the swaybar bushings to see if that helped but I doubt it will. I feel your pain and frustration with this issue. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 AM

um thats weird...

Quick Reply: Bad strut bearings or just control arm rubber bushings sound?