6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Brakes issue..what would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Brakes issue..what would cause this?

what you're looking at is my front brakes that I just took off my 06 max. the bottom pair is the front left(driver) and the top set is the front right( passenger).

whats would cause this uneven wear like that. the driver side looks only a few months old and i recall only changing then around the beginning of the year...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris350

what you're looking at is my front brakes that I just took off my 06 max. the bottom pair is the front left(driver) and the top set is the front right( passenger).

whats would cause this uneven wear like that. the driver side looks only a few months old and i recall only changing then around the beginning of the year...
1 - Caliper piston is seized or sticking.

2 - Brake hose has failed on the ID and is acting like a check valve and not releasing brake pressure.

3 - You had too many beers during the brake job and only changed the pads on one side.

4 - Caliper pins are seized, not allowing the caliper to slide (not likely unless only the inside pad is worn).

Why do only three pads have wear indicators? Or did I miss the fourth one in your pic?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 67 Lamnas
1 - Caliper piston is seized or sticking.

2 - Brake hose has failed on the ID and is acting like a check valve and not releasing brake pressure.

3 - You had too many beers during the brake job and only changed the pads on one side.

4 - Caliper pins are seized, not allowing the caliper to slide (not likely unless only the inside pad is worn).

Why do only three pads have wear indicators? Or did I miss the fourth one in your pic?
1.. thats a possibility
2... another possibility
3..mechanic did it the last time..i wasn't present to see..beers was present somehow in my hands
4...they seemed free from what i could tell when i changed them..which was 2 hours ago (EST)

...i think the indicator is missing from the image...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 AM

New pads don't wear that quickly (worn out in a couple of months) without some outward indication of a problem, i.e, car pulls to the left or right during braking, sticking brake smells hot, rotor is blue from excessive heat, etc.

If you've not noticed any of the above, then something "fishy" happened during your last brake job....it's one of the many reasons I do my own work on my cars whenever possible.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:55 AM

I would guess a seized slide pin. Check em. Check the piston also.... I removed the rubber bushing on the slide pins cause they would keep sticking all the time. Since I have removed those, no problem. Slides #1.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:25 AM

New pads don't wear that quickly (worn out in a couple of months) without some outward indication of a problem, i.e, car pulls to the left or right during braking, sticking brake smells hot, rotor is blue from excessive heat, etc.

If you've not noticed any of the above, then something "fishy" happened during your last brake job....it's one of the many reasons I do my own work on my cars whenever possible.

I have to agree here...I think something got forgotten during the last replacement. You'd notice something else going on while driving if you're wearing down this much...even if it's just a lot of noise, or as suggested some pulling...
Old 06-15-2011, 09:56 AM

the car was pulling slightly to the right..... no brakes smell... no blue rotors.. i don't know what this could be.. baad caliper..
Old 06-15-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by chris350
the car was pulling slightly to the right..... no brakes smell... no blue rotors.. i don't know what this could be.. baad caliper..
You already put the new pads on...right??

How easily did the caliper pistons retract back into the bore? Did they go back easily? One side noticeably more difficult than the other?

Another test.....Go out and drive the car a bit.....then, jack up the front, put the trans. in neutral......see if there's considerably more drag on one side than the other.....if there's a side hard to rotate, then crack the bleeder and note the release of pressure......

For your pads to wear (on one side) about 95% of their life in less than 6 months, there's got to be a serious dragging brake issue going on.....

Either that or like I said earlier....maybe one side didn't get changed....

How many miles did you put on in the six months since the pads were changed?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

You already put the new pads on...right??

How easily did the caliper pistons retract back into the bore? Did they go back easily? One side noticeably more difficult than the other?

Another test.....Go out and drive the car a bit.....then, jack up the front, put the trans. in neutral......see if there's considerably more drag on one side than the other.....if there's a side hard to rotate, then crack the bleeder and note the release of pressure......

For your pads to wear (on one side) about 95% of their life in less than 6 months, there's got to be a serious dragging brake issue going on.....

Either that or like I said earlier....maybe one side didn't get changed....

How many miles did you put on in the six months since the pads were changed?
i put the new pads on already.. both sides seem to need the same pressure to go in..

i'll try jacking up the front and see what happens.. will report back in a day or two.. thanks.. oh and the milage...probably around 5-6k miles.. i drive a lot..
Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?albumid=5003
Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by jerryiscool3394
And how is this pertaining to the discussion?

I say check out the calipers again. If they are fine, I think the mechanic only changed pads on one side
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by jerryiscool3394
hey there noobie... whats the point of that? contribute info...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 AM

def a caliper problem or brake line.