6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

120K Later, want suspension Mods :-)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:15 PM

120K Later, want suspension Mods :-)

Hi guys, I am new here. Have a silver 2006 Maxima SE rather stock except for K&N (which didn't fit all that well, but anyways). Have had all the issues I have read about on here (tranny dead At 60K, A/C unit disentgrated at 75K) Otherwise, it has been a great car and still going strong. I believe I am ready to update the car a bit. I was told that my rear suspension is worn so it is causing my tires to wear awkwardly (told by discout tire after rotating my tires and it bouncing all over the place. they switched the tires back and its fine again, odd) None the less, I am looking to lower the car with Eibach Springs (for looks and handling) and while in there get some shocks/struts. Its a daily driven car about 50/miles per day.

I just want it to handle better. I am not a gear head at all, so I will be paying a friend or shop to do the work. Any and all advice is appreciated.

From what I have read:

Eibach Progressive Springs
KYB GR2s - are these adjustable? I would prefer non-adjustable as I wont be adjusting anyway (see non-gear head comment above :-(
Racingline End links? Not sure what these are or what they do?

Can someone give me a ball park as to what the install would be on these as I just want a baseline idea so no one tries to screw me anymore than they probably will.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Newblood; 04-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

KYB are not adjustable. Should stiffen it a lil for you. no adjustables are available for us. Unless you go coilovers which you don't seem to want anyway.
Lowering is purely for looks, though sure some would argue.
I have new Monroe struts and shocks waiting for install. Decided against KYB even though my KYB shocks have been decent.

Go with Moog endlinks. end links are what attach the ant-sway bar. I enjoyed my racingline enlinks until they rusted apart and wasted 2 days getting them off.

With the endlinks get a Progress or similar rear anti-sway bar. Most noticeable suspension mod.
I have a FSTB which is more for looks but may do something. Doubtful since so close to the firewall.
If you have the time and money for labor front anti-sway bar upgrade, seems worth it.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. What are the Moog end links made of to prevent rusting? And sorry, what is a FTSB?

So you had KYB, but didn't buy them again (2nd replacement?) How often are you supposed to replace shocks//struts? I am still on factory parts :-(

Thanks again!

Tommy
Old 04-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Newblood
Thanks so much for the reply. What are the Moog end links made of to prevent rusting? And sorry, what is a FTSB?

So you had KYB, but didn't buy them again (2nd replacement?) How often are you supposed to replace shocks//struts? I am still on factory parts :-(

Thanks again!

Tommy
FTSB is front strut brace, I have 8 way adjustable KYBs in the rear and I LOVE the control I get. Soft for street, and hard for kicken azz on the track
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

just replacing struts and shocks you will feel a huge difference. KYB are noted as being a little stiffer. I am beginning to appreciate a more forgiving ride. It has been mentioned since these parts slowly degenerate, noticing the need of replacement is hard. So maybe 50-80k replacement. You are certainly due. I am still on oem struts that were an upgraded version from the ones that Nissan initially installed which failed by 10k.

Moog is a simpler & beefier design with grease fittings. Not sure material but they are black so maybe painted or coated? Possibly a better material.

Front Strut Tower Brace
Cars that show improvement with this have struts further forward in the engine bay. Our struts are as far back as can be. So the need is less.

Last edited by NismoMax80; 04-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:36 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
FTSB is front strut brace, I have 8 way adjustable KYBs in the rear and I LOVE the control I get. Soft for street, and hard for kicken azz on the track
but those were custom made and not available unless used
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM

Second the moog and the progress rear sway bar. I have the rear sway and will be ordering the moogs soon. The rear sway alone is a notable difference.

I have the racingline FTSB and I believe it tightened up the front end as well.

The motor mounts, while not technically part of the suspension, should be replaced if you haven't recently done so. That will help smooth out transmission shifts - our mounts are notorious for breaking down which can cause some banging during shifts.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks All. Yes, I forgot to mention I too had the motor mounts replaced. I believe all of them. It was all apart of the tranny problem. Took to one place and they said it was just motor mounts. Couple hundred bucks later it was the tranny.

Anyways, thanks again for the help! Will have to review all the notes and see what I can come up.

If someone has part numbers, that would be especially helpful. Amazon seems to be the cheapest place i can find stuff. if you know a better place, its appreciated. Any good places in Dallas, TX area???
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM

http://my6thgen.org/f269/endlinks-co...ingline-16300/

Just for your interest to read.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the link(Petitfreremaxima)! So how has it been with the sway bar and end links? Do you think it was a worthwhile mod? What else have you done to your car? It looks really sharp by the way!

Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 AM

Get progress springs and monroe struts. I also have KCMAXX rstb. That's my setup. Front is a drop of almost 2" rear less than 1". Rides good if I had to do it over probably would get different springs for a firmer ride. But might just feel "soft" to me because I had coilovers in my 02 Max.

Don't get me wrong I love the progress setup on my 04. No float and has nice drop with almost factory ride.

Also what KN do you have? The short ram or just filter to stock piping?
I was looking at maybe getting KN short ram so wanted to know what issue is with it?

Last edited by 7speed; 04-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:33 PM

I just have the factory replacement K&N filter only. It was a bit larger than the stock one for whatever reason but fit with a little trimming.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 PM

Can someone explain the pros/cons of a Sway Bar vs. RSTB (rear strut tower brace, I presume)? As of this moment, I am thinking Eibach or Progress Springs, Monroe Shocks/Struts, Progress Sway Bar, Moog Endlinks. Sound like a good start for my 120K+ Maxima? Thanks again for all the help!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 PM
SuPeRmOd

well seeing there are no struts in the rear, I'm not sure what rstb means. He attached a bar in the seat opening. whether or not it prevents flex i do not know. Personally I use the access often so do not want to block it.

I use Amazon and RockAuto.com both will let you know the part # you need and/or if it fits your car.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:46 PM

By RTSB I think you're referring to KCMaxx's bar that is installed inside the vehicle. I can't remember if anyone has made a comparison....try a search on that. I purchased my rear sway before KCMaxx came out with his bar. I believe it's quite a bit cheaper than the rear sway bar and that he can personalize it for you as well.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Oh, the Moog Rear Sway # is K-90684
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Newblood
As of this moment, I am thinking Eibach or Progress Springs, Monroe Shocks/Struts, Progress Sway Bar, Moog Endlinks. Sound like a good start for my 120K+ Maxima? Thanks again for all the help!
sounds good. As long as we are linking to 6thgen.org posts, take a look at this one too. Perfect for what you are doing and pretty much confirms your choices...

http://my6thgen.org/f61/6thgen-ultim...n-upgrades-58/
Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM

ksport

I have a set of ksport coilovers for sale. I no you said you didnt want adjustable but why worry about purchasing springs and shocks seperate when you can get these. Set your ride height and never mess with it again, but you can adjust the stiffness of the shocks whenever you feel like. Pm me if interested.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

Had one question. heard people complain about the rear drop using Progress or any other spring. meaning the front drop is nice but the rear went down too far. Can we mix and match springs? Meaning progress front and tein rear? or not even change the rear spring, but change shocks struts? Just wondering. Thanks!