6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Will 3.5 altima headers fit on my 6.5 gen???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Will 3.5 altima headers fit on my 6.5 gen???

So i am slowly getting rid of the whole oem exaust on my 6.5 gen. I have heard that the altima headers will fit. Is this true, and who has done it??
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 AM

This is actually a good legit question for a because of the differences in the upper oil pan.

What you need to find out are the fitments of Y-Pipes for the 6th gen. There lies your answer.

If one Y-pipe works for 04-08 6th gens then the headers will fit your car.

If the Y-pipe changes with the models (5AT/4AT/6MT/CVT) then you may need some fabrication to get the Y-pipe to clear your upper oil pan.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

it all lies with the Y-Pipe. I know Manual 6th gens have no issues, but 6.5's
Old 05-16-2012, 01:44 PM

I have a manual and I just did a full exhaust with the altima headers. Not trying to deter you from moding your car but there are a few things you should be aware of. My advice is if you don't plan to race your car you shouldn't do this mod.

I had no codes before the mod and after the mod I got a PO400 because I disabled the EGR valve. To prevent this you'll have to custom make one in your headers. The car was running rich and I got 2 codes and now my air/fuel sensors need to be replaced @ $145/sensor depending on where you get it. That sensor is a direct fit so you might have to cut and join all six wires for it to work depending on if it reaches.

If you decide to do a full exhaust with the altima headers it will be loud beyond and bigger resonator will be required to soften the tone. You might also get some polution depending on the condition of your engine. Also there might be a backfire. I have the altima headers and in traffic the polution was so bad that cars stayed well back so I had to go get a large resonator and a catalytic converter and it solved that problem.

Your car will not pass emissions depending on the state you live in. As fas a it bolting right up, not sure for the automatic but the manual needed a little bending. I would just get the spacer kit, BOP, light weight crank pulley, Kenetix IM, intake and a catback if you really want to go the distance.

For me it was a learning process and if you think that you're gonna do headers and make your car faster you got your work cut out. There was a lot of things I had to find out after I did the exhaust mod and it was very costly. So I hope you put into consideration before you start because once you start there's no turning back.

I also have videos before,during and after the mod so let me know if you'd like to see it. Good luck man.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 AM

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INPUT. its a thought... i have the catback, intake.. thermal spacers to come when i replace my plugs... got 99 thousand miles, a problem, i ain't got one... oncr a gain thanks....
Old 05-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok wont hurt to ask , will this fit the 5.5 ? i seen the picture of the megan headers/ypipe before ... looks like the ypipe would need some fab work ... some one help me out
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by WhoDatBuuL
ok wont hurt to ask , will this fit the 5.5 ? i seen the picture of the megan headers/ypipe before ... looks like the ypipe would need some fab work ... some one help me out
Yes. But u would need to get a custom equal length y pipe
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 AM

All exhaust manifold/headers from 95vq30de to the 08 vq35de bolt right up. The only difference between them is the y pipe fitment. The altimas and 6gen have the same y pipe design and 5th/5.5 gens headers bolt up to the 4th gens or vice versa.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I have a manual and I just did a full exhaust with the altima headers. Not trying to deter you from moding your car but there are a few things you should be aware of. My advice is if you don't plan to race your car you shouldn't do this mod.

I had no codes before the mod and after the mod I got a PO400 because I disabled the EGR valve. To prevent this you'll have to custom make one in your headers. The car was running rich and I got 2 codes and now my air/fuel sensors need to be replaced @ $145/sensor depending on where you get it. That sensor is a direct fit so you might have to cut and join all six wires for it to work depending on if it reaches.

If you decide to do a full exhaust with the altima headers it will be loud beyond and bigger resonator will be required to soften the tone. You might also get some polution depending on the condition of your engine. Also there might be a backfire. I have the altima headers and in traffic the polution was so bad that cars stayed well back so I had to go get a large resonator and a catalytic converter and it solved that problem.

Your car will not pass emissions depending on the state you live in. As fas a it bolting right up, not sure for the automatic but the manual needed a little bending. I would just get the spacer kit, BOP, light weight crank pulley, Kenetix IM, intake and a catback if you really want to go the distance.

For me it was a learning process and if you think that you're gonna do headers and make your car faster you got your work cut out. There was a lot of things I had to find out after I did the exhaust mod and it was very costly. So I hope you put into consideration before you start because once you start there's no turning back.

I also have videos before,during and after the mod so let me know if you'd like to see it. Good luck man.
There is a bit of misinformation here and there are very easy ways around all of the problems you have had.

I am happy to hear you're one of the few 6th gens out there tryin' to do it.

Just do it right

Hint: Uprev Osiris and quality exhaust parts.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by datdude20
Yes. But u would need to get a custom equal length y pipe
so pretty much either a custom equal y pipe or a warpspeed should do the job ?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by WhoDatBuuL
so pretty much either a custom equal y pipe or a warpspeed should do the job ?
WSP wont work because it's designed to bolt to the the stock manifolds/pre-cats.

So, a hacked WSP or custom equal length, or as near equal as your people can do it.

Semi relative to this: http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/6...-knockoff.html
Old 05-17-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
WSP wont work because it's designed to bolt to the the stock manifolds/pre-cats.

So, a hacked WSP or custom equal length, or as near equal as your people can do it.

that gives me some ideas , i know i cant have the y pipe that low tho cause im slam
Old 05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by aackshun
There is a bit of misinformation here and there are very easy ways around all of the problems you have had.

I am happy to hear you're one of the few 6th gens out there tryin' to do it.

Just do it right

Hint: Uprev Osiris and quality exhaust parts.
Originally Posted by NmexMAX

I had a mom and pop shop hack up a y-pipe for my altima headers when I had them installed on my 4th gen. Due to time and money the y-pipe I had made was chit lol but it worked temporarily. Although what I had was less of a y-pipe

Name:  7e72f138.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  202.1 KB
Name:  769c4cea.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  294.0 KB
Name:  25247d39.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  322.4 KB

Last edited by J2FRESH; 05-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM

^ At the merge....
Old 05-30-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
This is actually a good legit question for a because of the differences in the upper oil pan.

What you need to find out are the fitments of Y-Pipes for the 6th gen. There lies your answer.

If one Y-pipe works for 04-08 6th gens then the headers will fit your car.

If the Y-pipe changes with the models (5AT/4AT/6MT/CVT) then you may need some fabrication to get the Y-pipe to clear your upper oil pan.
Bump, anyone figure this out?