6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Lowered on Canuck Motorsports springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Lowered on Canuck Motorsports springs

Ever since I've been a member here, I've always wanted to get rid of the front wheel gap like everyone else. Even if it was by lowering the front only like many have done. Being on a budget, the big name brands were too expensive seeing how shipping would not have been free as it would be coming to Canada from the US...this also meant that there would be duty and brokerage fees on top of the shipping charges.

So after lots of research here and on the other org, several members claimed that 02-06 Altima springs fit the 04-08 Maxima. I took this info and went to the Canuck Motorsports website to check it out. While I was there, I noticed that the 02-06 Altima springs were on clearance!!! So I sent them an email just to get some more info on spring rates for both vehicles to see how they compared to each other. Here is what they sent me:

04-08 Maxima:
190 Front
340 Rear
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lowering-Spri...item1c140f7cd4

02-06 Altima V6:
190 Front
270 Rear
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CM-Lowering-S...item2311ac977c

With the info provided, it was clear that they use the same front springs for Altima V6 as they do for the Maxima. So for $120, I decided to try out the Altima V6 springs and see how it looked. This was a savings of more than $60 over the Maxima springs which even at $180 shipped was the cheapest I was able to find on Ebay.

Before:
Name:  067-1.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  225.8 KB
After (front only):
Name:  IMG_1532.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  178.2 KB

I've had them on for a week now and love the look as well as the ride. Handling has improved without sacrificing any of the stock ride quality. I kept the stock struts up front, and the rear is all stock (springs and shocks). Going over dips in the road, it doesn't feel like a boat any more, but at the same time it doesn't break your spine when you are on bumpy roads. Under hard braking, the front doesn't nose dive as much as it used to. Under hard acceleration, the rear end doesn't squat as much as it used to. The steering response has improved, but I should mention that both lower control arms were replaced as well. I did not tell my wife that I was lowering the front and she hasn't complained about anything being different at all.

Now for those of you who will say that I should install the rears also because springs are supposed to be installed as a set, and to see how I like it...well I did. It appears that the 300+ pounds that the Maxima has over the Altima V6 is all in the *** end...

Front and Rear:
Name:  IMG_1382.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  93.4 KB

The rear springs were just too soft for the weight of the Maxima. This is why I decided to go with all stock in the rear. The drop is perfect. The gap in front and rear is even. From the ground to the top of the wheel arch is 27.25" all around.

So, for those of you on a budget who are looking to eliminate that front wheel gap, this is by far the cheapest solution that I have found. Again, I was not concerned about the mismatch in performance from lowering the front and leaving the rear stock as I don't take this car to the track. This was purely for the looks and as it turned out, the ride quality stayed the same and handling improved!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Here are a few more pics!!!

Name:  IMG_1539-1.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1543_1.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  109.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1544_1.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  93.8 KB

Last edited by sensfan1111; 06-30-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:28 PM

Looks good bro. Nice that it worked out spring are same for Alti and Maxi. HAha tripped me out with the *** shot with Alti springs.

This is a perfect solution because its purely the front of the Max that looks ridiculous stock. And this is a cheap and nice solution to get the front end right.

Good job.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 PM

THats how it should look stock and people who want moar lowz can do it from there lol
Old 07-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Took the car in for an alignment and was shocked that the "initial" was all withing spec even after changing the lower control arms and springs. I still had them bring it to the preferred settings.

Originally Posted by 7speed
Looks good bro. Nice that it worked out spring are same for Alti and Maxi. HAha tripped me out with the *** shot with Alti springs.

This is a perfect solution because its purely the front of the Max that looks ridiculous stock. And this is a cheap and nice solution to get the front end right.

Good job.
lol, the Maxi has some junk in the trunk

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
THats how it should look stock and people who want moar lowz can do it from there lol
Agreed...
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM

The car looks really good with the Altima front springs. Makes a world of difference.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:40 AM

Am I seeing this right???

The same spring say that they are $89 right now...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by aarong0921
Am I seeing this right???

The same spring say that they are $89 right now...
YES!!!!

This is why I went with the Altima V6 springs instead of the Maxi springs. If you're just looking to eliminate the front gap, then go with the Alti springs and save yourself some money!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sensfan1111
YES!!!!

This is why I went with the Altima V6 springs instead of the Maxi springs. If you're just looking to eliminate the front gap, then go with the Alti springs and save yourself some money!!!
AWESOME!!! Definitely gonna do this. This has been my biggest problem with the car since i've had it, but I just couldn't see paying $200 + on springs when I was only going to use the front set.

Thanks for the info
Old 07-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I had a set of CMS springs on my 4th gen. I probably was the first to get them here.

My dad has an 07 SL A34. My girl friend has an 03 SE L31. I just replaced the struts on both cars. Almost everything is the same.

Of course the Altima springs lowered the rear too much. The 6th gen is a saggy *** from the get go. It really doesn't need any drop in the rear.

CMS rated drop:
A34 1.75/1
L31 2/2
Old 07-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by aarong0921
AWESOME!!! Definitely gonna do this. This has been my biggest problem with the car since i've had it, but I just couldn't see paying $200 + on springs when I was only going to use the front set.

Thanks for the info
No problem, that was the whole reason for this thread was to let people know that this is another option...and probably the most cost effective!!

Post pics once you've got them installed.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the pic. Exactly what I want.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Nice! Thanks for this info, I'm going to look into these front springs for my SER!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sensfan, what size tires you running? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM

I don't really understand you're lowering application but I have the same brand. 1.5" in the front and 0.5" in the rear with 22's and it's the best ride I've ever done on any cars I've lowered. I don't get any annoying clocking, sounds or uncomfortable feeling when I drive.

Going back to stock in the rear was the smart thing to do. It look weird.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by hdgolfer
sensfan, what size tires you running? Thanks.
They are the stock SL size 225/55/17

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
I don't really understand you're lowering application but I have the same brand. 1.5" in the front and 0.5" in the rear with 22's and it's the best ride I've ever done on any cars I've lowered. I don't get any annoying clocking, sounds or uncomfortable feeling when I drive.

Going back to stock in the rear was the smart thing to do. It look weird.
I went with the Altima springs where you probably have the Maxima springs. This is why the rear was so low. Only reason I went with the Altima springs was because they are on clearance.

I cannot believe how good the ride is with these springs, considering I only have the fronts installed. Definitely worth the money!!!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM

They are the stock SL size 225/55/17

I went with the Altima springs where you probably have the Maxima springs. This is why the rear was so low. Only reason I went with the Altima springs was because they are on clearance.

I cannot believe how good the ride is with these springs, considering I only have the fronts installed. Definitely worth the money!!!
The cost was one of the reasons I chose them but the main reason was because the lowering application. The name brands was more costly but these springs was the only one that offer 0.5 lowering in the rear. Had to get them because I'm running 22's and any lower I'll be in too much problem.

Never regretted buying them though. The ride is just on that fine line between sport and comfort.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks sensfan1111, after seeing your pic I was convinced that was the way I wanted to go. Mine are done and I am very satisfied with the results. It now has the stance I was looking for without having to do the rear.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hdgolfer
Thanks sensfan1111, after seeing your pic I was convinced that was the way I wanted to go. Mine are done and I am very satisfied with the results. It now has the stance I was looking for without having to do the rear.
Do you have any pics?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think I'll look into getting a set of these, it'll probably be a week or two. Ill get picks up
Old 08-05-2012, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
The car looks really good with the Altima front springs. Makes a world of difference.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 AM

The car looks good but start saving for axles now .
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by smittybizzle
The car looks good but start saving for axles now .
Are you speaking from experience? Are you lowered and needed to replace your axles already? With the amount of people on this forum that are lowered with springs, I haven't read many posts that say they have had to replace their axles because of being lowered...

I realize those who are slammed on coilovers are having to replace axles because of being so low, but I haven't seen that with lowering springs.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are you speaking from experience? Are you lowered and needed to replace your axles already? With the amount of people on this forum that are lowered with springs, I haven't read many posts that say they have had to replace their axles because of being lowered...

I realize those who are slammed on coilovers are having to replace axles because of being so low, but I haven't seen that with lowering springs.
Maximas must be different from the rest...be ready to replace the muffler too.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:55 PM

My car is on Teins , been that way for about three months I don't drive it hard . The boot on the axle is torn but I will just replace the whole thing .

Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by smittybizzle
My car is on Teins , been that way for about three months I don't drive it hard . The boot on the axle is torn but I will just replace the whole thing .
Your car looks really good smitty. I love the drop that Teins give the car but not so much in love with the price...which is the whole reason I went with CM's Altima springs.

So with your Max being 8 years old, you don't think that the boot being torn is just normal wear and tear on your car? By lowering it you are changing the range of motion of an already worn boot, so yes, it may have broke sooner than it would have by lowering it. But the fact that you lowered it was not a direct result of your boot becoming torn.

I agree on just replacing the whole axle though. To go through all the work to get it off just to replace the boot, then possibly have the other boot tear next year...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Oh I'm with you 100% with the age of the car . I was just saying save now so you can change them out early before the age of the boot kicks in . Thanks for the comment I will start a build thread here soon . http://my6thgen.org/f13/smittybizzle...t-build-13519/
Old 08-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice car too bad i cant order only the front one !

Last edited by ThaFaub; 08-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

YES!!!!

Damn that's nice, i would have to go with these spring also, and for just 89.95 not bad at all better then 2xx something. Would like to ask u how much did it lower the front, did it lower it 1.8 inch.?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by khmer_homeboy1
Damn that's nice, i would have to go with these spring also, and for just 89.95 not bad at all better then 2xx something. Would like to ask u how much did it lower the front, did it lower it 1.8 inch.?
Almost, it settled at 1.75" total drop up front.

I can't wait to get it back, it's been in the body shop for the last 2 weeks...some b**ch took off the front bumper with her truck...

Name:  2012-08-21074633.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  163.5 KB
Old 08-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

not bad of a drop, damn bro sorry to hear that...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Almost, it settled at 1.75" total drop up front.

I can't wait to get it back, it's been in the body shop for the last 2 weeks...some b**ch took off the front bumper with her truck...

Dude when someone hits your car that means modifications man. Let her pay and get the entire front end repainted, brand new grill, foglights an the whole nine yards. Last year some dude rear ended me and I came outta the car silent with the most intimidating face ever, walked to the back of the car, watch the car then watch the guy, I swear the dude almost pissed his pants. He walked towards me and said "is this where we exchange insurance?" with a straight face I'm like "what you think"

I went through insurance and got $1475 and it only cost me $700 to fix it. Pocket the rest. So you're gonna get your front end replaced fresh and clean
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Banned

I lowered on the same springs Canuck and I must say they are great. They improve handling on the corners greatly never have to slow down like before. One thing I notice is whenever they heat up too much they tend to squeak a little.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys new here to the forums... im interested in installing the altima springs on my max.. now just a question did you only install the springs or did you do something else? thanks..
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ELITEMAXX
Hey guys new here to the forums... im interested in installing the altima springs on my max.. now just a question did you only install the springs or did you do something else? thanks..
Not to support you bumping an old post instead of searching or making a new thread, but here you go.

From what research I've done when swapping springs to new lowering springs a lot of people recommend getting KYB GR2(Excel-G - same thing) Struts along with some new Strut Mounts (if yours are rusted out) and hardware. A good site for those parts is www.justsuspension.com and google a coupon code for some extra $$ off.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick question

Just joined the forum and am very impressed with all of the information on here. Just wanted to ask if you had a part number for these springs? The links earlier no longer go to an item on ebay, but rather ebay as a whole (I know it's an old thread...). I would like to get these springs on my Max asap. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 AM

Spring

the company doesn't carry the Altima Springs anymore. i was just in contact with them about two months ago. they inform me that the Altima springs weren't there biggest movers so they discontinue making them. he directed me to just go ahead and get the Maxima Spring set up. however i didn't take his advice so just you like you im in the same boat. the choice you have are ebiach, progress, or teins springs best of luck man sorry
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM

Progress are discontinued also
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This would be an interesting mod for me since im building an all motor integra. I would love to have that lowered front and not have that boat affect lol. did you guys put these on stock struts? if so how long did they last?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:11 PM

How about the RacingLine Performance Springs?

Altima 02-06 - http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=18

Maxima 04-08 - http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=25

Yes, I know those are the same springs... unless you choose 2.5L (QR25) 4Cyl option under Altima, then they are different.

Quick Reply: Lowered on Canuck Motorsports springs