6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aftermarket CD player wont fit in Metra Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 12:38 PM

Aftermarket CD player wont fit in Metra Kit

Hey guys,
I recently purchased a single din Metra kit 99-7404. Well I am trying to use my old Sony cd player and well, its to big.
Has this ever happened to anyone? My cd player wont fit inside the dash kit. I tried from behind also and its just to big. Both the cage(?) and the bare cd player is just to big.
Any ideas other than buying a new cd player or trimming? I would hate to trim and not have a clean look to it.
I love my maxima but man they dont make stuff easy to change on this car. I also ordered some 6x9 for the back since my speaker grill is falling apart cause the last owners didnt tint the windows . I already know that wont be fun.
Thanks for any advice
Oh I tried to do a search but theres to many keywords to use and I couldnt find any.

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I jumped ahead. I tried putting it together BEFORE taking the old head unit out. Upon reading the instruction I seen that you use the old hardware piece.
Hopefully this will all fit right when I goto put this in.

EDIT 12/29/12
CD player in with metra kit. no rear deck highs now

Last edited by 6thgen; 12-29-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM

??? Glad you got it .
Old 12-29-2012, 03:58 PM

Hey guys,
Ok I finally got this pain in the a.. cd player in.
Now I have a problem with the rear deck speakers. I went and purchased some kenwood 5way 6x9, installed that and sony cd dash. Turn it on and only bass comes from the rear deck. I also have a factory amp in the back.
Could the amp be making the highs disabled from the rear deck?
How can I get the rear deck to play both low and highs? Is wiring from the cd player to the rear deck speakers the only way?
Has anyone else run into this problem?
Freaking new cars make it so annoying to deal with ugh.
Thanks!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
oem ftw!

Well, you're only getting bass because you're running through the factory wiring, which runs through the factory amp that is mounted on the rear deck in between the two speakers. That amp feeds the 6x9's, and has a built in low pass crossover, as those speakers are technically supposed to operate as subwoofers.

If you want the new 6x9's to play all frequencies, you can run new wiring from the deck to the back. If you don't want to be bothered with that (judging by your initial post, I'd think this is the case), you can unplug the harness that feeds the amp, splice in some fresh wire for the L and R, and then run the wiring from there to the kenwoods.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:25 PM

Thank a lot Crime, I appreciate the feedback and will consider both options! Thanks!
Btw, would you happen to know if any new 6x9 grill would fit in place of the factory ones?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM
oem ftw!

No problem. Unfortunately if your stock grilles are falling apart, I think that your only option, given how the grilles are shaped and sit in the deck, may be to replace the entire rear deck or get a rear deck cover. If you hollow them out and use an aftermarket grille, it probably wouldn't look too good, as they are shaped just like the speaker and will leave a gap around the new grille and the rest of the deck.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM

Thanks a lot! Great advice. I really appreciate the help.
I have one last question. Should the maintenance button lights be on with a new CD player? I know the volume, seek, etc buttons will be disabled but should the button light also be off? The buttons for fuel econ,ec should also work right?
(I wasn't the one who installed it )
Thanks!!
Btw is there like a rep button for u?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM
oem ftw!

You're welcome. Yes, the lights should still work after the radio replacement, as should the other OEM buttons that don't pertain to the radio. If you have no lights, but functional buttons the installer may have blown a fuse. Check all fuses including the 15a tail lamp fuse under the hood (next to the coolant reservoir), because if that fuse is blown your center console will also be dark. If neither the buttons nor the lights work, they may have forgotten to reconnect a harness.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM

6thgen=CRiME;8695067]You're welcome. Yes, the lights should still work after the radio replacement, as should the other OEM buttons that don't pertain to the radio. If you have no lights, but functional buttons the installer may have blown a fuse. Check all fuses including the 15a tail lamp fuse under the hood (next to the coolant reservoir), because if that fuse is blown your center console will also be dark. If neither the buttons nor the lights work, they may have forgotten to reconnect a harness.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much! Yea I think he forgot to plug it back cuz neither lights nor buttons work .Il take care of that tomorrow.
Thanks so much for all ur help