6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Maxima Trans: rebuilt, remanufactured or just ditch it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

04 Maxima Trans: rebuilt, remanufactured or just ditch it?

So I have an 04 Maxima with 93k on it. It has been driven about 2 months in the past 2 years because...drumroll...valve body issue!! I've had it looked at by 3 Nissan dealerships and 2 local trans shops, they all say the trans is done and needs to be fixed.

Nutshell:
1 - rebuilt trans with new valve bodies for $3,500 total incl tax, comes with 2yr/24k warranty from a local trans shop
2 - remanned trans from and installed by Nissan directly, 4k with tax, 1yr/12k warranty
3 - say the heck with it and trade it in and get something new

I really don't want to take on a car payment, but I like to think I'm not dumb. Is it asking for trouble to get the trans fixed? Can I really expect it to give me no problems or nothing else to pop up as I approach 100k?

Thanks so much.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:56 AM
oem ftw!

I think it boils down to your personal preference and the overall condition of the rest of the car. Do you have the timing chain tensioner/guide issue yet? Floor pan rust? If the transmission is the only issue and you are comfortable dealing with it and driving the car, then go that route. If the car has other problems, I would let it go. In addition to the timing chain issue, Other common issues that may soon pop up are:

High pressure power steering line leak
A/C line leak
ABS engagement issues due to rear wheel hubs or actuator (actuator more common on 04's, $1000+ fix)
Precat failure (p0420 code)
Oil consumption (possibly caused by bad precats)
Floor pan rust

I was in a similar situation a couple weeks ago with my maxima - it needed a bunch of stuff including the timing chain tensioners/guides, but I was willing to wait it out and repair it all. It wasn't until I looked underneath and saw that the floor pan rust issue (pretty common on north east driven 6th gens) had pretty much taken over the entire front underside of the car. That was the deal breaker and I had to part with her. Yep, I have a car payment again, but I can deal with it, I love my new car !!!

Best of luck with whichever route you choose.

Last edited by CRiME; 07-19-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I honestly don't know on those other issues. I'm taking it to a mechanic next week, probably two diff ones to get an idea of what the general shape of the car is. I will ask about the other issues.

The more I read I am worried to even take the chance with it.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Catface1
So I have an 04 Maxima with 93k on it. It has been driven about 2 months in the past 2 years because...drumroll...valve body issue!! I've had it looked at by 3 Nissan dealerships and 2 local trans shops, they all say the trans is done and needs to be fixed.
I think we need more details. If you say you have a valve body issue there should be no need to go beyond that. In other words what has made the dealerships and the trans shops to conclude that the transmission is bad?