6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

No brake lights or diming interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No brake lights or diming interior

Alright after my long list of repairs over the last year, pretty much sunk over 5 grand in repairs including shop hours, another issue i have come across with my 04 SE 5sp Auto.

The issue is that when my headlights or highbeams are on, i dont have lights on the buttons for like trip computer, or any of that sort. I have them for climate control ect. My dimming light wheel does not work, nor does my tac/speedo dash dim, its on regular day time bright. The light on the license plate does not work either. I dont have my parking lights or are they on when headlights are on.

Heres the kicker, when we put the obd reader/controller on, and turn on the lights manually with the reader or manually, it shows as the control unit in the dash is responsive, it sends a clear signal to the lights to turn on, the Fuse boxes in both under the dash and under the hood are fine, none are blown and they show clear signals.
Ive been on the forums for a few years for information, but i wish this car would catch fire and burn to a crisp.

What is the cause?

The wiring seems fine as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maybe an answer for you

Don't know if this helps but I had a similar issue with my 04 Max. My rear lights (brake, running, tag etc. and my interior and map lights) all went out. Checked all fuses but finally took it to Nissan. They fixed the problem and told me it was an interior fuse WITHIN the engine. Don't know how true that was of if they were just giving me a load of crap. Of course my extended warranty didn't cover the cost (about $200.00) because they said even though the dealership told them that this was a fuse that the owner could not possible change himself, the warranty folks didn't cover fuses period. Don't know if that's your problem but that's what happened to me. Haven't had a problem since so I hope this helps you.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 AM

This is a known issue. What happens, a roof console light switch malfunctions over time, and shortens entire circuit. That circuit includes corner lights, some other stuff, including dashboard dimmer etc. To fix this, you need to 1) disconnect roof console light because it will continue blowing the fuse and 2) replace the fuse, which is located under the hood inside a long fuse box on passenger side. Also, there is a fix for roof console if you don't want to shell out 100 bucks for a new part. Splice white and red wire and lights will go into permanent "door" mode. Search forums, this fix was also covered somewhere, either here or on my6thgen.com.