6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 Max rear brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

04 Max rear brake issues

Hi everyone,
I'm working on a family members 04 SE, which seems to be different than my 01 SE in the rear brake area. Front brakes were no problem, set up just like mine. On the rear passenger side, the caliper is mounted toward the front of the car, not toward the rear like mine. It's different, but I didn't think anything of it until trying to get the bottom caliper bolt out to remove the caliper from the bracket. I noticed that I had to use a wrench, as there wasn't clearance for a socket and driver. Well, that bolt can not be removed fully because there is a round support beam/tube of some sort that connects from behind and below the rotor forward to a thin metal plate under the car. Sorry if that description leaves a bit to be desired, but I'm not exactly sure what it is, so I don't know what to call it. Does anyone know why this beam would be blocking the bolt, or have a trick for getting it out? I didn't even take the wheel off the other side, assuming I would have the same problem. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:41 PM

I assume you are trying to remove complete caliper out.

1. Remove top bolt, the small one that hold cylinder and brake pads but not the big one that hold the brackets.
2. Use rubber mallet and move the caliper away from rotor.
3. Remove the bottom bolt, the small one that hold cylinder and brake pads but not the big one that hold the brackets.
4. Now remove both big bolts that holds brackets. It should come right out after removing two big bolts.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:21 PM

Thanks for replying. My description wasn't very clear, so I see where the confusion is. The issue is in your point #3. I can't get that bolt out because it is blocked by the support member that I described. All I want to do is change the pads, not remove the caliper bracket. If someone had an FSM that they could look in for me, or post a picture of, we could all see that member. I'm concerned that it is in the way due to some damage or something - because it makes no sense to be obstructing that lower bolt. Thanks again.

Last edited by SE01Max; 01-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Don't loosen the lower bolt. Loosen and remove the top bolt. Then use the lower bolt as the hinge point and pivot the caliper away from the pads. The caliper should then come off. The "bolts" only thread into the caliper, not the bracket. They just slide into the bracket. You can take the caliper off without ever putting a wrench on the lower bolt.

These are 300ZX calipers, but you see how the "bolt" is actually just a pin?

http://300zx.tombeauchamp.com/graphi...rear_calipers/

Last edited by i8acobra; 01-20-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 PM

I see a pic of your 300ZX, but not of any caliper. But I do get what you mean as far as using one bolt as a pivot point. I usually use the upper bolt to rotate/pivot on, that way the brake line doesn't get stressed, but I could probably use the lower bolt/pin to accomplish the same thing. So if I wanted to remove the caliper bracket, I could just remove one 14 mm bolt, swing the caliper off the pads, and then remove the two 17 mm bolts?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:02 PM

I edited my post above. That guy's site was blocking hotlinking so I just posted a link to the directory instead. Just click on the first pic in the directory.

After swinging the caliper off the pads, you should be able to slide the caliper off the bracket. With the lower bolt still threaded into the caliper, it should clear the lower trailing arm.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:14 AM

The lower bolt will come out, it's tight but it works.(unless it's jammed in there)

If it's seized and you cant get it out, remove the whole caliper bracket, and then remove the caliper from the bracket. I did that a few times.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Sounds good guys. I still don't know why that member (trailing arm?) is directly in the way of that bolt, but I'm going to try swinging the caliper down instead of up and get those pads out that way. Sometimes you just need someone to tell you to look at things differently. I always swing them up, so it didn't occur to me to go down. If I'm still jammed up I'll hop back on. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 PM

The bolt does come out, just tilt it a bit sideways when almost out.

if you JUST want to change the pads, just swing down.

Now, I find it totally dumb to change pads without cleaning the brakes, and greasing everything that can be greased.

Now you know how to disassemble it.

Whatever.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by SE01Max
Hi everyone,
I'm working on a family members 04 SE,
oh and thats a bad idea.
now whatever wrong with the brakes, or even the rear wheels, is going to be assumed to be your fault and your responsibility to fix.

I dont fix other peoples car anymore. or anything in fact.