6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Coolant Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Coolant Leaking

Hello everyone, here is my next challenge. Still working out my last challenge but thought I'd start looking at this.

I'm getting a very unusual coolant leak. I've only noticed it for a few weeks with very small spots on my driveway. Went under and it seems to be coming from the corroded line in the photo attached. (Near front passenger side of vehicle, near oil pan as shown)

Do you think this is where the leak is actually coming? Or just ending up there? I did not want to clean it up in fear of making it worse. LOL.

It is hard to trace as I can't seem to make it happen. Seems to happen when I start the car for short times and then stop it. It has not translated into me having to fill the rad yet, but it can only get worse.

If it is likely this piece, is it hard to replace? Any idea of part #.
I'll likely get a mechanic to do it, but wanted to see if anyone has come across this.

Thank for any help,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leaking-radfluidleak.jpg   Coolant Leaking-radfluidleak2.jpg  

Last edited by YT KNITE; 07-08-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 PM

You could get a dye at autozone pour a little in and check after a day
Old 07-08-2014, 12:34 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Interdynamics-...ds=coolant+dye
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks for your reply, that is a great idea.

I thought someone may have seen a leak there before and knew the part, but you are right, making sure that is where it is coming from is the best plan.

THanks again,

Kevin
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 AM

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but when using the dye, can I leave it in after or will I need to flush the rad fluid soon?

The leak is slow and not sure how soon I can get to it. If it is a mechanic job, he takes days to get to a car when you leave it with him. I guess that means he is good. LOL

Kevin
Old 07-09-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by YT KNITE
I'm getting a very unusual coolant leak. I've only noticed it for a few weeks with very small spots on my driveway. Went under and it seems to be coming from the corroded line in the photo attached. (Near front passenger side of vehicle, near oil pan as shown)

Do you think this is where the leak is actually coming? Or just ending up there? I did not want to clean it up in fear of making it worse. LOL.

It is hard to trace as I can't seem to make it happen. Seems to happen when I start the car for short times and then stop it. It has not translated into me having to fill the rad yet, but it can only get worse.

If it is likely this piece, is it hard to replace? Any idea of part #.
I'll likely get a mechanic to do it, but wanted to see if anyone has come across this.

Thank for any help,

Kevin
Yeah, it's on the passenger side all right. It's a coolant pipe heading for the oil cooler. The part number is 14053-8J10A (new) or 14053-8J106 (old). The code is 21302MA. Check this:
http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...mponentsNo=213

Last edited by Costee; 07-09-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Costee
Yeah, it's on the passenger side all right. It's a coolant pipe heading for the oil cooler. The part number is 14053-8J10A (new) or 14053-8J106 (old). The code is 21302MA. Check this:
Thanks for your help on this. I haven't used the dye yet, but I will this weekend.

I'm pretty sure it is that piece though. Do you think a heat resistant silicone tape would help to slow this down until I can get to a shop?

Or do you think I could replace it myself? I imagine I'd have to flush the rad etc. I'm a slow learning backyard mechanic. LOL

Kevin
Old 07-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by YT KNITE
Do you think a heat resistant silicone tape would help to slow this down until I can get to a shop?

Or do you think I could replace it myself? I imagine I'd have to flush the rad etc. I'm a slow learning backyard mechanic. LOL

Kevin
If you could change your oil filter, then you probably could do the install. The pipe is too far gone degraded, and I'd suggest you leave it until you have the replacement.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 PM

You can leave the UV Dye in, remember when you flush and fill your coolant be sure to use distilled water(found in supermarkets) with coolant. Dont buy gallons of the premixed 50/50 because thats a waste of money just to have the convenience.

Using tape will not slow it down. The cooling system is pressurized and it will still leak.
You can use a special putty(like playdoh) which needs to be mixed and applied when the engine is cool. however I tried to do this on my cracked Radiator and it didnt do anything.

Also when you drain and refill the system. after you have filled it up, make sure you BURP the system. Google how to Burp Cooling systems on a car. Theres a bunch of Videos for this.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:26 PM

That die was a great idea, thanks so much. While playing around replacing a speed sensor I saw it was definitely the part I posted. I'll order the part.

When I search Rock Auto for the part I come up with this:
Dorman 902098

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4980282

That's a cross reference from this page:

I'll order the part once confirmed, and go from there.
Nissan Partzone does not ship to Canada, Rock Auto does.

Thanks again,

KC
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM

Just a bump to see if anyone can confirm I have the right part for question above.

If I order it is pretty pricey with shipping and I'm already out the money for a speed sensor that did not work for my speedo problem. ()

I'll also see what Nissan here would charge.

Thanks

KC