6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Engine swap on a 2005 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 PM
ef9

Engine swap on a 2005 Maxima

Hello,

I am working on a friend's 2005 Maxima that has a broken timing chain. I am utilizing a 2003 VQ35 engine as the replacement.

My question is, it seems like there is no way of dropping the transmission by itself from underneath. Then removing the engine from the top?

This is how I removed the VQ35 from the 2003.

Anyone pulled the engine/trans from this 6th generation?

Am I forced to drop the subframe (with engine and trans still bolted on)??

Stan
Old 03-20-2016, 08:04 AM
Willing to learn

You could remove the sub frame, then the transmission from the bottom.
Then remove the engine from the top. This would require supporting the engine with a brace across the engine bay while you remove the components from the bottom.

But why would you? It is much simpler to just drop the entire assembly from underneath the car.

Much easier in the long run to do it that way.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:00 PM
ef9

I do agree it would be easier to drop the subframe, but my concrete slab is too short. I would need the space to roll the subframe out, which I don't. Unless I have half the car out on the gravel (unstable on jackstands), thus rendering my garage door not being able to close while I work on swapping the engine on the subframe.

Previous method, allows me to roll the car out half way, pull the engine from up top, then roll the entire car out of the garage. When ready, I could roll the car halfway into the garage and drop the engine in.

Originally Posted by oldngivout
You could remove the sub frame, then the transmission from the bottom.
Then remove the engine from the top. This would require supporting the engine with a brace across the engine bay while you remove the components from the bottom.

But why would you? It is much simpler to just drop the entire assembly from underneath the car.

Much easier in the long run to do it that way.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:57 AM

you wont be able to pull the engine out the top.

It is so much easier to just drop the subframe.
Main reason it will be a ***** to pull engine from top is the rear engine mount isn't the easiest to get to.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by zillafreak
you wont be able to pull the engine out the top.
Why not? I pulled mine out the top and installed it back through the top..

Now, is it easy this way? No. Was it designed to come out of the top? probably not but it is possible. I dont own a lift, and this was my only option for getting the motor in and out of the car. Beware, you have some really weird angles you will have to deal with doing it this way but it is absolutely possible. The motor literally has to be twisted back into place, which is relatively challenging if you dont know what you're doing..
Old 02-25-2018, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Why not? I pulled mine out the top and installed it back through the top..

Now, is it easy this way? No. Was it designed to come out of the top? probably not but it is possible. I dont own a lift, and this was my only option for getting the motor in and out of the car. Beware, you have some really weird angles you will have to deal with doing it this way but it is absolutely possible. The motor literally has to be twisted back into place, which is relatively challenging if you dont know what you're doing..
Hi Foxtrot, I am having 2005 Maxima and have set my mind to do engine swap. But, i am amateur here and would appreciate your guidance. Did you use any repair manual, what is the best start for me to get all details like a bible to refer at ?

Your help is much appreciated!

Thank You,
Adam.C
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM

remove the engine from the top.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I did my engine swap I took it out through the top was not hard to do just need an good engine hoist
Old 04-01-2018, 03:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hichamaziz
remove the engine from the top.
i absolutely agree it will be easier to disconnect the harness from ECU as well that way you don't have to take sensor connectors off in the chassis you could do it while the engine is out and build everything from scratch again in reverse..worked for me but need space also for a comfortable job